Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
Makes sense. I thought you were perhaps a Chicago Defender (no pun intended) disguised as a NY'er. Which sounds far fetch, but believe me these people will go far to defend this place. Which you will fall in love with for about a year and a half before you run back home asking why were you so lucky to be subjected to this tomfoolery. You'll see.
And you are a New Yorker disguised as a Chicagoan.

Hi Dementor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:59 PM

64 posts, read 162,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
And you are a New Yorker disguised as a Chicagoan.

Hi Dementor.
Oh how i wish this was true. But unfortunately i am a Chicagoan....and to prove it I can tell you something no New Yorker would ever know about. Like the preacher guy on state street in front of Old Navy who says "your going to hell for being a homosexuaaah" or the black bum guy with the dreadlocks whose face looks like its covered with black smoke from a coal mine walks around downtown and smells like 1000 years of funk.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:04 PM

64 posts, read 162,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
that would be a fact, jack. just like the fact that the black neighborhoods have overwhelmingly voted for Daley for 20 years.

honestly, Chicago is definitely full of the biggest bunch of buck-passers in the world. if you don't like something, do something about it.
Now thats true...the black people of Chicago are ****in morons packed on the south and west side....just happy to be here. They dont complain they just take the scraps that Daley and company throw at them. And then vote him back in office each term to repeat the ****ery. And you would think that.....nevermind.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
Ralph, go move to New York, they could use another douchebag over there. Maybe people around here are hostile to you not out of racism, but because you're the clear stereotype of a hostile, know-it-all, crazy black man.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Can we please close this thread?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM

197 posts, read 181,947 times
Quote:
Racism/prejudice- Now this is the reason I am ready to abandon this city. Throughout my visit to New York, I for once in my life felt like a man and not a "black man"....catch my drift. In Chicago, racism and prejudgement is par for the course, you WILL be judged by race and being that the bulk of the Chicago population are really transplants from suburban Chicago and other midwest cities most of the non-black people have never dealt with black people before moving here, therefore you get treated according to their cultural ignorance. Chicago is a "white" city and you are reminded of it every single day. .
I am white and when I first moved to Chicago I befriended couple of black folks at works. I was really stunned where I heard stories of what was going on in Chicago. Then I discovered how segregated MOST of Chicago nabs are with different bars and different venues frequented by people of different color of skin. It's like going back in time yet white Chicagoans do not see anything wrong with that and even considere themselve non-racist, as long of course as there are no black people moving to their own neighborhood. Hidden racims of Chicago is simply stunning considering this is XXI century...

Old 08-28-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Hearing Chicago get called "pretentious" relative to NYC is mind-boggling to me.

I also don't understand how Chicago is any more of a "white" city than New York. There are many neighborhoods that can be classified as white, but there are also vast parts of the city where you will not see or feel the direct influence of white people. And FYI Chicago is technically an alpha world city, one level below NY, London, Paris,

If New Yorkers are down to earth and sincere, then shoot me in the face because that is not the general impression, and definitely not the impression that I got. And there's at least one white person in Chicago (me) who can hold a fine conversation about hip hop.

Honestly, I'd like very much to know where you hung around/stayed in New York, because it feels like we're talking about two different places. You must have found some awesome hidden part of New York where people are friendly and down-to-earth, and/or you've been spending a lot of time in where all of the Chicago douchebags hang out.
Just because Chicagoans describe themselves as down to earth, friendly and unpretentious does not mean this is the case. My perception is absolutely opposite. And yes, New York has been voted the friendliest place on the planet quite a few times by different organizations even though most people who have never been in New York have this Hollywood created perpception of New York as a rude and unfriendly city. What is mind bogling to me is that Chicagoans so readily describe themselves as down to earth and unpretentious not understanding how pretentious such statements are.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thats what I love about Chicagoans......they have a "logical" answer for every ****ing thing.
Chicago perfected coming up with excuses like no other place on earth.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I'm a black woman who is from New York, but moving to Chicago. Jeesh, you black men make me sick. You complain about racism and racist attitudes, yet you diss black women in a public thread. You can't have it both ways.
Black men make you sick? A little mean.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:49 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
that would be a fact, jack. just like the fact that the black neighborhoods have overwhelmingly voted for Daley for 20 years.

honestly, Chicago is definitely full of the biggest bunch of buck-passers in the world. if you don't like something, do something about it.
20 years????

Isn't there a term limit?

Ain't that the same guy who let 700 people die in the Chicago heat wave while he was on vacation in Michigan?

It must be rigged or people are just flat out stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City