Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:43 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Yea, nobody ever thought of this one huh? Well, I'm moving from KC to DC.

Two very different cities.

Thoughts?

KC

DC

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-29-2009 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: these are his photos, he's a professional photographer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 04:37 AM

330 posts, read 877,857 times
Some photos of DC that I had posted on another thread:

PHOTOS REMOVED BY MODERATOR.

There are too many photos, and several of them contain copyright/watermarks. Photos should be taken by the poster only (such as in the OP's case, who takes his photos). Please read the room sticky which has been there for some time, that has photo posting guidelines for this room. Thank you!
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-29-2009 at 11:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2009, 01:31 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,830 times
Awesome DC pictures.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Anybody got any pics of Rockville or Silver Spring or Tysons Corner?

Nevermind, I see a couple posted above. Although post more if you have them.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,732 times
Going from KC to DC is a huge change. DC is a major international city with its East coast hustle and bustle and downright rudeness. DC is also larger and more crowded, but has a slightly southern feel. Traffic is a nightmare and the cost of living is much higher. The good news is that DC has tons to do and U will find it hard to get bored.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Going from KC to DC is a huge change. DC is a major international city with its East coast hustle and bustle and downright rudeness. DC is also larger and more crowded, but has a slightly southern feel. Traffic is a nightmare and the cost of living is much higher. The good news is that DC has tons to do and U will find it hard to get bored.
DC has a southern feel? Why is that? I have never gotten that impression. But I have not lived there or spend time in the metro much outside the downtown area.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:59 PM

330 posts, read 877,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Some photos of DC that I had posted on another thread:

PHOTOS REMOVED BY MODERATOR.

There are too many photos, and several of them contain copyright/watermarks. Photos should be taken by the poster only (such as in the OP's case, who takes his photos). Please read the room sticky which has been there for some time, that has photo posting guidelines for this room. Thank you!
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html
They were all photos on Flickr. I wish you would have at least left the links.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:43 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Wow why would u move to KC from DC? Do not move to KC if you don't have to lol.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:25 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
DC doesn't have a southern feel at all. Especially if you're coming from KC. It feels like an urban northeast city. NYC is really the only place that you can find out here that's more urban and livelier. Other than that I'd say Boston and Philly would be tied with DC. There isn't a southern feel at all. If anything, you might get a southern vibe from some people because you mentioned living in the suburbs. Most of NoVa is very urban. MD is urban inside the beltway. Southern MD seems to have more of a rural southern feel.

In the KC vs Milwaukee page, you were one of the posters that thought KC and Milwaukee were similar in several ways if I recall correctly. Well I moved from Milwaukee to DC and love it. It is much more urban with a lot more to do. You definitely need to see areas outside of downtown though. After work/on weekends much of the downtown area dies down except for Gallery Place, Chinatown, Penn Quarter, and the Mall. My favorite things in the city are in all of the other neighborhoods. U St, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, Mount Pleasant, Georgetown, Capital Hill, etc. So I'm sure you'll like the city. I don't know too much about the suburbs though other than parts of Arlington and PG County, MD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Read the post again. He/she's moving to DC.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well, I was not really looking for insults, but rather comparisons, especially from people that have LIVED in both and know a great deal about both. You obviously don't or you would not have said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
DC doesn't have a southern feel at all. Especially if you're coming from KC. It feels like an urban northeast city. NYC is really the only place that you can find out here that's more urban and livelier. Other than that I'd say Boston and Philly would be tied with DC. There isn't a southern feel at all. If anything, you might get a southern vibe from some people because you mentioned living in the suburbs. Most of NoVa is very urban. MD is urban inside the beltway. Southern MD seems to have more of a rural southern feel.

In the KC vs Milwaukee page, you were one of the posters that thought KC and Milwaukee were similar in several ways if I recall correctly. Well I moved from Milwaukee to DC and love it. It is much more urban with a lot more to do. You definitely need to see areas outside of downtown though. After work/on weekends much of the downtown area dies down except for Gallery Place, Chinatown, Penn Quarter, and the Mall. My favorite things in the city are in all of the other neighborhoods. U St, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, Mount Pleasant, Georgetown, Capital Hill, etc. So I'm sure you'll like the city. I don't know too much about the suburbs though other than parts of Arlington and PG County, MD.

Read the post again. He/she's moving to DC.
Thanks for the reply. You are correct, KC and Milwaukee are very similar in many ways so it's great to hear that you have enjoyed the move.

KC is a great town that offers as much as any city in the 2-4 million population range. But I obviously know that DC is a top tier and world class city. But you can easily navigate KC, live in a nice home (urban or suburban), drive a nice car and still afford to enjoy all the things KC has to offer and still afford to see the rest of the country as well. I can hop in the car and be at al baseball game in 15 minutes and see the Red Sox up close for $25. In DC just going to a simple baseball game would be more of a planned event to deal with traffic etc. I know the Nats are as bad as the Royals, but I'm sure tickets still cost 3 times as much. I'm just using MLB as an example. I'm also talking about live theater, concerts, museums etc.

I look forward to the move because I think it would be awesome to actually live in a city with so much to do and see that is so close to so many other citys that have so much to see and do. I guess I wonder at times if the cost of living and quality of life (traffic, stress, long work days etc) is worth whatever you gain from going to a city like DC from a city like KC when you can live in a city like KC and have enough money and time to see the rest of the country with ease, like I have done for the past two decades. I know a lot of people that live in expensive cities that can barely afford to ride the metro, let alone see the rest of the region or country. They should though because so many people are pretty clueless about areas outside their home area. You miss out on a lot of pretty neat towns. KC is one of them . I have made a personal effort to go out and see every single large city in the nation and enjoy what they offer as individual and unique metro areas. It's a lot of fun.

I'm ready to give DC a try. Hopefully it all works out. BTW, I'm moving there next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City