Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times

Advertisements

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of either city. As someone who loves water sports and rock and roll, I think Cleveland has more to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of either city. As someone who loves water sports and rock and roll, I think Cleveland has more to offer.
Are you aware that Chuck Berry, the Father of Rock & Roll, is not only from St. Louis and still lives here, but he performs here every month to sold-out crowds at Blueberry Hill?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Are you aware that Chuck Berry, the Father of Rock & Roll, is not only from St. Louis and still lives here, but he performs here every month to sold-out crowds at Blueberry Hill?
And Halle Berry is from Cleveland...oh wait...

Old 01-25-2012, 06:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Yes, I used to live in Lake Saint Louis.
Chuck Berry lives in Wentzville (and Nelly and Chiggy both lived for a while in Lake Saint Louis)

Music scene is still better in Cleveland.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:58 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,653,945 times
And this from someone who lived in Lake St. Louis? Eeek.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
1. A Great Lake
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. West Side Market
4. Little Italy
5. Cleveland Orchestra

All of these blow the St. Louis version out of the water. You may think that St. Louis can match these amenities; it cannot.
Yes, but I guess having a Great Lake at your doorstep is a bit of a "stretch" when it comes to natural beauty... Clearly they haven't stood of the bluffs of Edgewater Park and started at the beaches and the Cleveland skyline that rises above the trees.

Cuyahoga Valley is actually a national park. Don't get me wrong, the Arch is nice, but I will take CVNP any day.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Boy....I'm not as sure as you are, and I've lived in both cities (however, it's been SOME TIME since I've been in STL). Architecturally anyways, I don't think STL is more impressive at all, in fact, I think Cleveland has a clearer edge there. JMO, obviously. As far as which is better: that's difficult to say -- they are so even in so many ways. True sister cities!

TIE!
I agree.

I think a lot of people are talking about Cleveland's frame houses, but forget about the impressive brick structures you find east of the city. St. Louis has impressive architecture, but sounds like some of the boosters are not giving Cleveland credit where it is due. But it's not just all about the houses, Cleveland has amazing architecture throughout the city.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Yes, but I guess having a Great Lake at your doorstep is a bit of a "stretch" when it comes to natural beauty... Clearly they haven't stood of the bluffs of Edgewater Park and started at the beaches and the Cleveland skyline that rises above the trees.

Cuyahoga Valley is actually a national park. Don't get me wrong, the Arch is nice, but I will take CVNP any day.
Why are you comparing a park far outside the city limits to a monument downtown? They're very different. And the fact that it's a national park doesn't make it better than the Ozarks. That's a better comparison, but comparing CVNP to the Arch or even Forest Park (which is in the middle of the city) is not a good comparison.

20-30 mins outside of the city you have this, in the suburbs of St. Louis County. You dont need a national park for it to be naturally beautiful

Castlewood State Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fredthechicken/2234882819/ - broken link)

Hills of Eureka, Missouri | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrettgatzert/2531211991/ - broken link)

View from our Window this morning | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hexblock/307294181/in/set-72157594394807710 - broken link)

All sizes | Snow Machine | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pasa/2322290401/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Six Flags, St. Louis | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/christykilgorehadley/2826657984/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

St. Louis has a nice natural setting as well, so forget the perception you have about St. Louis being some ugly city by a river.

Last edited by Smtchll; 01-25-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
John is not a representation of Cleveland. There are plenty of other posters who don't put down another city to make one look better. We can have a civil conversation without going over-the-top with what we are trying to say.
You're wrong. I am a perfect representative of Cleveland. I was born in Cleveland, raised in areas throughout her metro. I know virtually every brick street, back alley, grassy bluff, rugged canyon, side street, corner deli, coffee shop, councilman and district in the city.

I DO NOT put down other cities to prop up Cleveland - there's no need to do that.

It's ok for other posters to say how much better things are in St. Louis, but let me defend Cleveland in any way - and, I begin to hear people maligning my personal character, referring to me as a 'liar, or being immature. ( BOTH ARE EXAMPLES OF BLATANT MISINFORMATION )I have not 'personally' attacked any of the posters, I have disagreed with - therefore, these personal attacks against me need to STOP IMMEDIATELY! I have already reported this to the MODS, and feel that some of you need to re-familarize yourselves with THE ROOM STICKY!

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ts-ending.html

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 01-25-2012 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
I agree.

I think a lot of people are talking about Cleveland's frame houses, but forget about the impressive brick structures you find east of the city. St. Louis has impressive architecture, but sounds like some of the boosters are not giving Cleveland credit where it is due. But it's not just all about the houses, Cleveland has amazing architecture throughout the city.
The bulk of Cleveland's housing stock is frame, and St. Louis' appears to be brick which, in itself, is more solid and impressive... That said, you're right, there impressive brick houses and apartment buildings (even a few row homes here 'n there in older sections) scattered through Cleveland, esp in such areas as Shaker Square, Edgewater (the major mansion, upscale district of the city) and Detroit-Shoreway, and Little Italy (not to mention in older suburbs like Lakewood, Cleveland Heights and Shaker Hts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City