Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:33 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
What about Kentucky? It has both northern and southern influences right? I've never been to Kentucky so I'm guessing. Virginia is a place that is both southern and northern.

Really and truly VA is a schizophrenic so which personality do you like? For a place like Richmond then I might suggest Nashville or Charlotte. For a place like VA beach I'm not sure since I've never been there before. But I don't know maybe Jacksonville. For a place like northern VA maybe the northern suburbs of Atlanta like Alpharetta, Suwanee, Kennesaw or Johns Creek or better yet Raleigh.
Kentucky and Virginia both have Northern and Southern influences, but are decidedly Southern states. Virginia was never a borderline case at any point in time, it is and always has been a Southern state...it has always had all the criteria for being one. Kentucky never really officially became truly Southern I believe until after the Civil War. After the Civil War, Kentucky and West Virginia leaned decisively towards being Southern states, Maryland and Delaware leaned decisively towards being Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern states, Missouri leaned decisively towards being a Midwestern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
North Carolina & Maryland .
I agree with North Carolina.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Kentucky and Virginia both have Northern and Southern influences, but are decidedly Southern states. Virginia was never a borderline case at any point in time, it is and always has been a Southern state...it has always had all the criteria for being one. Kentucky never really officially became truly Southern I believe until after the Civil War. After the Civil War, Kentucky and West Virginia leaned decisively towards being Southern states, Maryland and Delaware leaned decisively towards being Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern states, Missouri leaned decisively towards being a Midwestern state.
I'm sorry but the entire state of Virginia is not southern. The majority of VA is southern but I stand by my statement that VA has multiple personalities and in a way that's what makes it a great state. Virginia combines southern and northern plus democrat and republican pretty well. I actually question how well that GOP governer candidate is going to do because he might be too conservative for Northern VA at least he's too conservative for me at least.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times
I live in Virginia and half the people are southern and have the people are northern. It's a lot of northern transplants where I live especially new yorkers.. northern virginia doesn't even count as virginia

Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I live in Virginia and half the people are southern and have the people are northern. It's a lot of northern transplants where I live especially new yorkers.. northern virginia doesn't even count as virginia
Well I'd say that in MY experience that the transplants are from everywhere. They tend to be from the south and the midwest. Haven't met a lot of New Yorkers actually the main city seems to be Pittsburgh but that's just me not saying that's across the board.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:17 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times
Quote:
Well I'd say that in MY experience that the transplants are from everywhere. They tend to be from the south and the midwest. Haven't met a lot of New Yorkers actually the main city seems to be Pittsburgh but that's just me not saying that's across the board.
Well believe me, Hampton Roads is full of New Yorkers

Old 09-04-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Well believe me, Hampton Roads is full of New Yorkers
I believe you. I'm a little surprised. I guess I'll have to go down for a visit one day. I have two coworkers from Virginia Beach so everything I know about the area is through them. From them I got that its pleasant and very family oriented.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
North Carolina definitely, except for some counties in Nothern Virginia which are similar to Maryland.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but the entire state of Virginia is not southern. The majority of VA is southern but I stand by my statement that VA has multiple personalities and in a way that's what makes it a great state. Virginia combines southern and northern plus democrat and republican pretty well. I actually question how well that GOP governer candidate is going to do because he might be too conservative for Northern VA at least he's too conservative for me at least.
The vast majority of Virginia is Southern, in terms of geography, but Northern Virginia (which has about 1/5 of the states pop.) has Northern influences from Maryland and DC. About the election, McDonnell is beating Deeds up at the polls, and Democrats have low turnout.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
There is no state like Virginia

Think about it! The southern part of the state is based on tradition and pride, while the northern is all DC. The people in Virginia are too independent to be similar.

And even though West Virginia, and Kentucky broke away, they are two completely different worlds. For example, WV has a southern flare, but was always more suited for northern life, because of its landscape, industry, and personality.

I'm from WV, and I can tell U it isn't anything like Va.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City