Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,943 times

Advertisements

I just visited VA Beach and LOVED it. The people were so friendly, very southern, and there are real palm trees growing down there (8'+high). I can't believe that I drove 4 hours south and its a totally different culture, attitude and climate than the rush rush, where do you work, pushy DC Metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:49 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,836,338 times
Virginia minus the colonial atmosphere and minus the Atlantic = Ohio.

They don't sit in the same region and their cultures are different, but they're both pretty big, middle-American states, with several mid-size urban areas, and a country side to them that is often mistaken as being southern.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,879,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

They don't sit in the same region and their cultures are different, but they're both pretty big, middle-American states, with several mid-size urban areas, and a country side to them that is often mistaken as being southern.
Well, Virginia's "country side" isn't "mistaken" as being Southern; it is Southern (along with the urban areas, sans NoVA).

Old 09-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well, Virginia's "country side" isn't "mistaken" as being Southern; it is Southern (along with the urban areas, sans NoVA).
In your opinion, not mine.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Fayetteville, and High Point are completely different from Richmond, Norfolk, and Newport News to me.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,263,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

Wow, not seeing this at all. In fact way off base by a wide margin.

A much better comparasion is PENNSYLVANIA minus the colonial atmosphere and minus the higher mountains = OHIO. Both states border Lake Erie, have Appalachian hills and small mountains, and have numerous smaller cities scattered around the state, many of them rustbelt. They are even the same latitude north.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Wow, not seeing this at all. In fact way off base by a wide margin.

A much better comparasion is PENNSYLVANIA minus the colonial atmosphere and minus the higher mountains = OHIO. Both states border Lake Erie, have Appalachian hills and small mountains, and have numerous smaller cities scattered around the state, many of them rustbelt. They are even the same latitude north.
It seems that everyone else is directly comparing states that are obvious because they're right next to each other. That's not what I'm doing.

Both Virginia and Ohio are so neutral to me that they seem to be the epitome of the classic American setting. Very historic.

Their metros have large black communities with the rest of the population being pretty much white. Amongst other things

Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 PM

542 posts, read 992,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Why the insults? I didn't say Maryland and Virginia have nothing in common. I simply said that Virginia has much more in common with North Carolina than it does with Maryland, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, or any other state for that matter. If you look through the rest of the thread most people hold the same opinion, but I guess they can't read maps either?

I also didn't say that VA didn't get any snow. For the record Norfolk has a mean annual snowfall of 7.8in, and Richmond has an annual snowfall of 13.8in. Baltimore's annual snowfall is 20.8in (NOAA data). btw could you post a link to a map showing the Shenandoah Valley extending into PA? Thanks.
No insult intended, I was just in a pissed off mood for something unrelated to city-data. I also took your post as saying that MD and VA have little to nothing in common. Anybody can read a map i know. To make my idea somewhat clearer, above I-64 is somewhat similar to MD for reasons I already stated and below 64 very similar to NC. A fact I have brought up on other threads. DC actually has a wide influence over the state to the I-64 area, where i live in the Shen valley we actually get DC news channels on our cable line-up. C-ville does or did when I lived there. To someone living on the other side of the river, I can see how VA seems so far away. I just don't like being belittled by so called progressive people when they don't really know the situation from a different perspective. There are educated people all over this state just as with MD or NC, I don't know how the percentages even out between the three, but I'm sure they are close.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:19 PM

542 posts, read 992,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I just visited VA Beach and LOVED it. The people were so friendly, very southern, and there are real palm trees growing down there (8'+high). I can't believe that I drove 4 hours south and its a totally different culture, attitude and climate than the rush rush, where do you work, pushy DC Metro area.
Those hotels must have planted some good trees! I can't say that I've ever seen a natural wild palm tree until South Carolina. I've even been all over the OBX from Hatteras to Lookout and can say the same thing. I have heard of people planting certain species as far north as NJ and NY though, so I know they can live.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:15 PM

7,056 posts, read 19,321,291 times
Yeah there's a constant effort to breed hardier palms that can withstand colder temperatures. When I was a kid, any effort to plant a palm tree in Va Beach would've been met with failure. Today, palms have been bred to withstand the cold VA winters better. The first time I saw a palm tree in Va Beach was sometime in the mid 1990s. Now there are lots of them. These are non-native and are planted at hotels and IHOPs in Va Beach, Ocean City MD, etc. Soon we'll see hardy palms in front of bed and breakfast inns in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City