Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,424 times

Advertisements

I'll admit that I never gave this topic serious thought until I was an adult, but even when I was younger I never looked at Virginia as "down South". It was always the "East Coast". Not the Northeast, but not the south either.

Looking at it from a musical standpoint, people like Timbaland & Magoo, Missy, Clipse, Pharrell, Sebastian...tell me that these are southern rappers . And Chris Brown is from VA, too. I know that boy think he from the south but he isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times
Honestly, from an outsider's perspective, I'd say more people think of VA as the south. Texas is Texas.

Think about it. Conceptions of "old VA" in popular culture, movies, etc: antebellum mansions, cotton, Thomas Jefferson.

Old Texas: Cowboy culture and the Alamo

Old 09-10-2009, 06:19 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I'll admit that I never gave this topic serious thought until I was an adult, but even when I was younger I never looked at Virginia as "down South". It was always the "East Coast". Not the Northeast, but not the south either.

Looking at it from a musical standpoint, people like Timbaland & Magoo, Missy, Clipse, Pharrell, Sebastian...tell me that these are southern rappers . And Chris Brown is from VA, too. I know that boy think he from the south but he isn't.

LOL....Virginia is the south, its no way to hide it. Virginia has much more in common with NC and SC than NY and NJ. Apparently you must be from NOVA and never went south of Fredericksburg because if VA isn't the south, well what states would you consider southern?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,138 times
Well IMO Hampton Roads doesn't feel TOO southern. It has both northern and southern characteristcs. Culture wise, rappers from HR like Pharell, Missy, Timbaland, they aren't southern like ATL rappers, people here can act both northern and southern. In Richmond it's pretty much all southern. Norfolk and Virginia Beach are definately southern cities, but they have many northern influences..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Honestly, from an outsider's perspective, I'd say more people think of VA as the south. Texas is Texas.

Think about it. Conceptions of "old VA" in popular culture, movies, etc: antebellum mansions, cotton, Thomas Jefferson.

Old Texas: Cowboy culture and the Alamo
The Alamo is just one aspect of a very large state. And why do people keep acting like cowboys aren't in the South? Texas just took the cowboy culture to another level. Besides, the average Texan has never even been on a horse or visited a ranch. We don't walk around saying "yeehaw" or "howdy". Most Texans that live east of I-35 carry on much like the average Georgian does.

At the end of the day, yes Texas is Texas. We have a state identity that we share, but we also share in our respective regions. Tyler, TX has more in common with Columbus, GA than it does with El Paso, TX.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times
Quote:
The Alamo is just one aspect of a very large state. And why do people keep acting like cowboys aren't in the South? Texas just took the cowboy culture to another level. Besides, the average Texan has never even been on a horse or visited a ranch. We don't walk around saying "yeehaw" or "howdy". Most Texans that live east of I-35 carry on much like the average Georgian does.

At the end of the day, yes Texas is Texas. We have a state identity that we share, but we also share in our respective regions. Tyler, TX has more in common with Columbus, GA than it does with El Paso, TX.

Of course not. But that's the generalized perception of old-school Texas. People who actually believe that are idiots of course,

Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 PM

386 posts, read 986,310 times
Quote:

VA has southern music outside of 757 which is where timbaland, magoo, pharrell, and clipse are from. Check out Redrum or "Rum"..the newest rapper signed with DJ Khaled and Def Jam South from Richmond VA. He is very popular in the Central/southside VA area right now. I'd say most rappers in the Richmond area sound southern and most AA's have a drawl or atleast a southern lite accent. Here are some video's of Rum. VA's hiphop scene is a mixture just like North Carolina of eastcoast and south. You have some eastcoast sounding rappers, and some southern sounding people. NC has Little Brother, J-Cole and other lyrical rappers on one end, and then Petey Pablo and more of a tradional southern sound on the other end.

Rum in the studio with DJ Khaled and we the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPK1Qp02xr4

Here is a new song by Rum feat Yo Gotti from Memphis

YouTube - Red Rum Ft Yo Gotti - Get It In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o71tSZKlK6A&feature=related

Here is an interview with Rum and Ace Hood

YouTube - Russ Bus 2009 - TT Torrez Interviews Ace Hood & Red Rum on iPower 92.1

Old 09-10-2009, 09:21 PM

Yeah I heard of him.. Trey Songz doesn't sound southern either.

It's almost like the 757 has it's own sound.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:37 PM

The problem comparing Virginia to oher states is that no two metros in the state are similar.. NoVa has the D.C. influence with rappers like Wale and the DMV. Richmond has people like Skillz and Rum.. Hampton Roads has people like Pharell & The Neptunes, Missy Elliot, Timbaland & Magoo, Fam- Lay, Clipse, etc. No two are alike

Old 09-10-2009, 09:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Yeah I heard of him.. Trey Songz doesn't sound southern either.

It's almost like the 757 has it's own sound.
When it comes to R&B, I'm not sure exactly how "Southern" sounds. Do Fantasia, Angie Stone, or Ruben Studdard sound Southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City