Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 10:05 AM

387 posts, read 987,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I just disagree with TI or Luda ripping anyone from VA but that's another topic. But yes, those artists I named are Southern artists or Southern producers because they hail from a Southern state.
Yea there are many dudes from VA who would rip TI or Luda easily..Nickelus F, Quan, Skillz,Lonnie B, Danja Mowf etc..I was laughing at the comment also but I didn't even wanna address it.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 11:15 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,836,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I just disagree with TI or Luda ripping anyone from VA but that's another topic. But yes, those artists I named are Southern artists or Southern producers because they hail from a Southern state.
Yeah, okay whatever. But go to someone in the rap scenes of Houston, Louisiana, or Atlanta and tell them that Timbaland, Pharrell, and Missy are down south artists. They'll look at you like you lost ur mind.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,836,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Here is a video from the hood 2 hood series in Richmond VA if you want to hear how a lot of local AA's sound/talk in Richmond VA and want to determine if they sound southern. MrMccoySays....do you believe they would stand out as not sounding southern in Dallas, ATL, NC, etc?

YouTube - hood to hood part 20

Here is a local song that was pretty big in Richmond called Disco Ballin' with Trey Songz in the video.

YouTube - Disco Ballin

I will admit that Skillz does have an eastcoast sound, but in VA and NC you can find some rappers who sound southern or east as far as music is concerned, or some who sound like a mixture (Diverse state). Most locals don't talk/sound anything like Skillz tho, and hardly any locals sound anything like the Clipse in Tidewater. I think the rapper Famlay with Pharrell and Star Track sounds more like how a typical AA would sound in Norfolk, Portsmouth, etc.
To be completely honest man, I'm looking at the videos you posted and other videos on youtube of Richmond, and I'll admit that what I hear is 1/3 of the people speaking in what could be construed as a southern accent, and the other 2/3 sounding a lot like someone from DC or Maryland or even Philly (slightly).

While the Tidewater area is completely out of the question, I still do not believe Richmond is part of today's south. But it's not the north either.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,345,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
To be completely honest man, I'm looking at the videos you posted and other videos on youtube of Richmond, and I'll admit that what I hear is 1/3 of the people speaking in what could be construed as a southern accent, and the other 2/3 sounding a lot like someone from DC or Maryland or even Philly (slightly).

While the Tidewater area is completely out of the question, I still do not believe Richmond is part of today's south. But it's not the north either.
Are you saying that Hampton Roads is definately part of the south, or definatly isn't?

Old 09-12-2009, 02:22 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,625,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Yea there are many dudes from VA who would rip TI or Luda easily..Nickelus F, Quan, Skillz,Lonnie B, Danja Mowf etc..I was laughing at the comment also but I didn't even wanna address it.lol

LOL...yea right u dont even mean that...VA is not known for rappers, they have great producers....u cant be serious saying that these rappers will kill TI or Luda..LOL...they're local.....funny I must say

Old 09-12-2009, 02:45 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,978,857 times
I think rappers are a poor barometer to use as which states are Southern or not. Rappers must embellish a lot of their dialect, in the same fashion that many of them exaggerate their stories.

At any rate, no one can tell me that Virginia isnt Southern...and very southern at that. I will admit that Richmond doesnt feel extremely southern, but it is southern imo. But the rest of the state (especially the more western/central/southern portions) are very southern imo.

And I would agree with others who categorize VA as a twin of NC..the two do feel similar.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:05 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Yeah, okay whatever. But go to someone in the rap scenes of Houston, Louisiana, or Atlanta and tell them that Timbaland, Pharrell, and Missy are down south artists. They'll look at you like you lost ur mind.
People in Atlanta already do. As they added Virginia in the dirty south dvd back in 2004 which was made by someone from Atlanta.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
LOL...yea right u dont even mean that...VA is not known for rappers, they have great producers....u cant be serious saying that these rappers will kill TI or Luda..LOL...they're local.....funny I must say
I'm sorry but I'll put Quan and Danja Mowf against Luda or TI anyday. Especially Quan.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:10 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,344,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I like T.I. a lot but I think both members of the Clipse and Missy could body T.I. and Luda.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,345,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I like T.I. a lot but I think both members of the Clipse and Missy could body T.I. and Luda.
HaHA yeah I think they have a good chance..I saw the Clipse freestyling some guys at the bowling alley a couple weeks ago an they were ripping them, of course it was just local.. Missy on the otherhand, would rip T.I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City