Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,836,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The deep South is not the only region of the South, nor should it ever set the standard for what "true Southernness" should be. There have always been variations within the South.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the Deep South is the only true South, because it isn't. That would mean leaving out most of Arkansas, Tennessee, and the Carolinas which are the south as well.

HOWEVER, The term "Deep South" was created to imply that this region was in fact the most southern. i.e. being deepest in the South. It's not about location, but it just so happens that these states are where southerness is the most concentrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I only said those areas because they are closest to Virginia and many in those states do not consider Texas the South. Hell, there are some people in Bama that do not consider Texas a Southern state.

Oh and yes, those artists are Southern.
Timbaland and Pharrell are southern?...okay...

Also, there's an artist from Richmond called Skillz. Go to youtube and search for his song "he don't know me". Tell me that's a down south track.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:07 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,624,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Timbaland and Pharrell are southern?...okay...

Also, there's an artist from Richmond called Skillz. Go to youtube and search for his song "he don't know me". Tell me that's a down south track.

First of all, Timberland and Pharell are producers. Neither one of those can rap IMO. Missy is one of a kind and Clispe isn't even from VA and that's the best thing to come out of there.

For the record, TI and Ludacris is southern and they will kill any rapper in VA.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,344,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
First of all, Timberland and Pharell are producers. Neither one of those can rap IMO. Missy is one of a kind and Clispe isn't even from VA and that's the best thing to come out of there.

For the record, TI and Ludacris is southern and they will kill any rapper in VA.
I think Timbaland and Pharelll are great at what they do. Missy is amazing and the best woman rapper ever IMO, and Clipse was born in New york and moved to the 757 at a very young age. Magoo is from here too. DUH Ti and Ludacris would rip anybody from here, but that has nothing to do with the level of southernness. If you listen to Pharell, Timbaland, Clipse, Missy rap or sing, none of them sound like the prototype southerner.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 PM

And Skillz was born in Detroit so hes not from Richmond realy.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I think Timbaland and Pharelll are great at what they do. Missy is amazing and the best woman rapper ever IMO, and Clipse was born in New york and moved to the 757 at a very young age. Magoo is from here too. DUH Ti and Ludacris would rip anybody from here, but that has nothing to do with the level of southernness. If you listen to Pharell, Timbaland, Clipse, Missy rap or sing, none of them sound like the prototype southerner.

Im from Texas man, Houston and it's kinda southern. In states such as VA, NC, and GA they have areas where it's not too southern (NOVA, Atlanta, and Charlotte) all have a different feel than the rest of the state. However all of these states are overall southern. VA and NC are twins in almost everything accept population.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
Rappers or not, their style isn't southern.

Quote:
No one argued this.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Rappers or not, their style isn't southern.

No one argued this.

It's nothing to argue. I just put it out there. Don't be so hostile man.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
And Skillz was born in Detroit so hes not from Richmond realy.
Well it's not about where you were born, it's about where you were raised.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 PM

so then Clipse is from Hampton Roads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City