Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
What African American cultural tourism exists in Atlanta, that doesn't exist in bigger cities?

And this is a list of Top 10 Cultural Tourism cities, not Top 10 Cultural Tourism cities for African Americans.

Really??? So if a place is a destination for AA's from all over, but not so much a destination for white's it doesn't deserve to be on the list? Im confused, and below is just a small bit of the cultural attractions for AA's in Atlanta:

MLK Jr. National Historic Park and Birth Home
Apex Museum
AUC Center (Morehouse, Spelman, Clark AU, ITC)
Auburn Ave (the south's Harlem back in the day)
National Black Arts Festival ( a yearly event)
Atlanta Football Classic (a yearly black college event which draws almost as many people as the Peach Bowl)
Auburn Ave. Research Library (one of the largest collections AA literature outside of the Smithsonian in DC)
Tyler Perry Movie Studios (the only black owned movie stuido in the USA)
Home to numerous urban record labels and urban events
Just because they may not be a big deal to you.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Just an attempt to knock out the southern cities.

If your basing this purely on site seeing and festivals. I would knock out Philly, Seattle, and Chicago, and throw in New Orleans, San Antonio and Miami. Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas are going to really offer more culture than SEA and SD.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
How do San Antonio and Miami have more sights and festivals than Philadelphia and Chicago? They're both nothing to sneeze at...but seriously?
San Antonio has the missions, alamo, riverwalk, historic downtown,etc as well as one of the largest festivals in the country, Fiesta. You throwing in Chicago and Philly gives me plenty of reasons to throw in Houston (Museum and Theater district, San Jacinto Memorial, Galveston,etc).

Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Without looking at any of the other responses, my list would be (in no particular order):

NYC
Boston
Philly
SF
Chicago
New Orleans
Charleston
DC
Santa Fe

Not sure what my 10th city would be. But the nine above pretty much run the gamut for U.S. culture in just about every respect.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
OK, just saw the original list from Forbes.

To not have New Orleans listed makes the list a JOKE.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
San Antonio has the missions, alamo, riverwalk, historic downtown,etc as well as one of the largest festivals in the country, Fiesta. You throwing in Chicago and Philly gives me plenty of reasons to throw in Houston (Museum and Theater district, San Jacinto Memorial, Galveston,etc).

Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Houstonians always say Austin is overrated. Are y'all really that envious of it's popularity that you have to always try to put it down? Just an observation.
They do?

I doubt anyone is envious of its popularity, which has caused huge traffic issues, a loss of uniqueness, and other problems.

And besides the college scene and the scenery on the west side, I can't think of a thing Austin does better than Houston that really stands out. It's not meant to be an insult.

And I think I can speak, because I was a resident of Austin for many years. Technically I was an Austinite before I was a Houstonian.

If some Houstonians - or anyone for that matter - call Austin overrated, maybe it's because there's actually some truth to it!

Last edited by AK123; 09-10-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 02:30 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,230 times
Quote:
lmao.

I'm sorry, it's nothing to sneeze at, but it doesn't compare to the birthplace of the skyscraper and the birthplace of the nation.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
lmao.

I'm sorry, it's nothing to sneeze at, but it doesn't compare to the birthplace of the skyscraper and the birthplace of the nation.
San Antonio's history dates back to the mid 1500s-1600s.......

Old 09-10-2009, 02:40 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Yea San Antonio is definitely a very historical city...I'm not sure I'd put Houston in there too though. I think historically San Antonio does a decent job at holding its own against Philly and Chicago, but Houston? Not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City