Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Skyline Battle: Miami Vs Philadelphia
Miami 36 38.30%
Philadelphia 58 61.70%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 PM

312 posts, read 436,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
yea i mean who likes old architecture?
Yo dude,

You're kind of taking my post too offensively man, its just my opinion. Let me give some background to it, I hate all old architecture, cant stand it. It looks nasty to me, makes me want to vomit (exaggeration but you get the idea).

And yes, most people can like whatever they want but that wont make me like it. Prague, Rome, London, Paris, all of these European cities have that old architecture, I don't like any of those cities nor do I think very highly of them architecturally. Most people would kill to have architecture like that in their cities and quite frankly put I would not, I just find it old and dated.

The way I see things is obviously different than you, I'm a new type of person. I like new things, things that look new, and things that look my age and where my generation is headed. I like skyscrapers from 1970 to present day, meaning those tall glassy and colorful towers, yes those I love those. The ones where you walk past them you can see your reflection on the glass, the ones if you're driving alongside one next to a freeway you can see the reflection of your car on it, and the ones with post modern colors on them that make them look like a maze from the top where you cant identify the difference between them like the ones in Miami. I adore those.

To me skylines are meant to look futuristic, not aged. They're meant to look powerful in todays world, not "I had my heyday way back when" type of thing. I love Dubai's, Shanghai's, Frankfurt's, Hong Kong's, Chicago's, half of New York's, Toronto's, and everything in the Sunbelt along with Minneapolis, Seattle, and Denver. I know Philadelphia has some modern buildings, the ones you listed are really nice along with Comcast, I find it redeeming but a good deal of your skyline is non-glass, not distinctly tall, and it doesn't work for me. I like it more than Boston's but at street level its really not my thing, from aerial views 3-5 towers stick out appealing to me, the rest don't.

Sorry man, these are just my opinions and shouldn't be taken offensively. If you love your skyline, that's all that should matter to you and shouldn't matter what others think. I don't like the olden architecture at all and have no exceptions to it, just don't like any of it. Only European cities that I even think highly of in general are Amsterdam, Zurich, and Frankfurt. Again these are just my opinions so please don't take offense, what most people consider "beautiful" to them are kind of an eye sore to me.

Last edited by Social Network; 04-15-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 05:34 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Since when is Philadelphia's skyline bigger than Miami's? Anyone whose actually been to both cities will tell you Miami's skyline is much larger than Philadelphia's. Taller no. Larger yes. Style of architecture is subjective and all, I personally prefer Miami's, I like many things about Philadelphia but the skyline isn't one of them, don't like how ridiculously old some of those buildings look to me looks nasty as most old architecture does to me and I feel the same way about Boston and Baltimore.

Miami has a small city limit boundary with only 34 square miles of land, the skyline starts on Miami and carries on over to the suburbs like Miami Beach, Miami Gardens, and the likes. Miami's skyline is the closest in size to Chicago as they get in the United States. A lot of people like putting Miami down for condos but a skyline is a skyline and they have a powerful one haha.

This is Miami's full skyline, Philadelphia is no where as linear or large like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/...2dbff511_b.jpg
Now I know why Miami had a condo bubble.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,700 times
Default miami isnt even close to philly

miami has a a plain skyline it looks good but just not dense enough or anything to be stunning but philly has a very dense tall and wide skyline that is spectacular philly wins in density architecture and streetlife the philly pics r spectacular and i think its funny how wen they look over the skyline of miami and u see the streets there is literally noone there at all philly is a lot better

Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM

725 posts, read 1,210,642 times
Philadelphia

Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Since when is Philadelphia's skyline bigger than Miami's? Anyone whose actually been to both cities will tell you Miami's skyline is much larger than Philadelphia's. Taller no. Larger yes. Style of architecture is subjective and all, I personally prefer Miami's, I like many things about Philadelphia but the skyline isn't one of them, don't like how ridiculously old some of those buildings look to me looks nasty as most old architecture does to me and I feel the same way about Boston and Baltimore.

Miami has a small city limit boundary with only 34 square miles of land, the skyline starts on Miami and carries on over to the suburbs like Miami Beach, Miami Gardens, and the likes. Miami's skyline is the closest in size to Chicago as they get in the United States. A lot of people like putting Miami down for condos but a skyline is a skyline and they have a powerful one haha.

This is Miami's full skyline, Philadelphia is no where as linear or large like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/...2dbff511_b.jpg
I always think of the Miami skyline as like an Atlantic City skyline on steroids.
http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...rge-miller.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-24-2012 at 01:01 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
I'm sorry but I don't get the results of this poll at all. I was in Philly last Summer to visit friends and I enjoyed myself. But....Skyline? Are you joking? It's not much of a skyline for a city its size. Now, let me be clear, I don't put too much stock into a skyline. That said, if it's the subject of comparison, Philly can't seriously get many points for its skyline.

The results of this poll just reinforce the presumed assumptions of many here on C-D....that a NE superiority complex exists "no matter what". Give me a break.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'm sorry but I don't get the results of this poll at all. I was in Philly last Summer to visit friends and I enjoyed myself. But....Skyline? Are you joking? It's not much of a skyline for a city its size. Now, let me be clear, I don't put too much stock into a skyline. That said, if it's the subject of comparison, Philly can't seriously get many points for its skyline.

The results of this poll just reinforce the presumed assumptions of many here on C-D....that a NE superiority complex exists "no matter what". Give me a break.
Miami's skyline is 3 miles long and a 1/2 block wide whereas Philadelphia's skyline is 3 miles long and a mile wide.

http://www.cfmedia.vfmleonardo.com/i...Lounge_6_P.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OAawj9MArtM/R7...8/DSCF7411.JPG

Last edited by JMT; 08-27-2012 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:22 PM

362 posts, read 665,211 times
Philly for me

Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:

i gotta agree here. density aside, straight up skyline

visually, this is hard to beat

http://topworldcities.net/wp-content...SA-640x360.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-28-2012 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:

There's the thing called an opinion. Everyone is entitled to it. Asking people what skyline they like better is subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City