Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 229 49.67%
Southern Accent 232 50.33%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:06 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times

Advertisements

honestly, so many ppl want to be us, threads like this seem...foolish.
i can't tell you how many times ppl have tried to mimic the way that i sound, outside of the north.

all of a sudden, after i speak, ppl that were born and raised in the south that never stepped foot outside of their state go from:

"yeah, mane, we bout to go to the sto' right quick and pick up some juice. then caowll nikeisha sister to see what she wont..."

to

"yeah son...afta i get back from the stoa, i'ma holla at..."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
honestly, so many ppl want to be us, threads like this seem...foolish.
i can't tell you how many times ppl have tried to mimic the way that i sound, outside of the north.

all of a sudden, after i speak, ppl that were born and raised in the south that never stepped foot outside of their state go from:

"yeah, mane, we bout to go to the sto' right quick and pick up some juice. then caowll nikeisha sister to see what she wont..."

to

"yeah son...afta i get back from the stoa, i'ma holla at..."

That doesn't seem like an accent it seems like how an uneducated person might talk.

Who is "us" that you think many people want to be like?

I would say the majority of people do not want to sound uneducated.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 AM
eek

"us" meaning ppl from ny. i can't speak for the rest of the north, but we have to be the most emulated ppl in the u.s.

ppl are like, "yeah, i'm from ny, son."
me: oh? what part?
"harlem, out in brooklyn..."
me: ...oh...ok.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
"us" meaning ppl from ny. i can't speak for the rest of the north, but we have to be the most emulated ppl in the u.s.

ppl are like, "yeah, i'm from ny, son."
me: oh? what part?
"harlem, out in brooklyn..."
me: ...oh...ok.
LOL, yeah I really wish I could talk like that. I could wear a great big court jester hat while I talked, too.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 AM
eek

but you're from decatur, ga...so...you hold no weight.
ppl where you're from are doing the stanky leg and just got finished shouting "wa me yuaa!!"

sometimes i turn on the radio and hear that foolishness and wonder what went wrong in our country's education system.

i know that all southerners don't sound like that, but i feel like the ones that do hijacked hip hop back in 2003 and have had it ever since.

remember the ying yang twins and their infamous "haaaaannn??!!"

smh. i'd cut my tongue off if i sounded like that.

mane.
bo.
cuhh.
yuaaaaaaa!!

*edit*
i was in the airport in georgia a few years ago...at a burger king. my friend ordered a cup of water and the girl was like, "ey, gimmie a cup of WOTAH"

i have a friend of a friend that pronounces olive garden as "olive gerden."

guess what state she's from?

take a wild guess.

edit again*

don't even get me started on gucci man.

adfadlkfjd.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:57 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
ppl where you're from are doing the stanky leg and just got finished shouting "wa me yuaa!!"

sometimes i turn on the radio and hear that foolishness and wonder what went wrong in our country's education system.

i know that all southerners don't sound like that, but i feel like the ones that do hijacked hip hop back in 2003 and have had it ever since.

mane.
bo.
cuhh.
yuaaaaaaa!!

*edit*
i was in the airport in georgia a few years ago...at a burger king. my friend ordered a cup of water and the girl was like, "ey, gimmie a cup of WOTAH"

take a wild guess.

edit again*

adfadlkfjd.
Rest assured that I did not participate in the hijacking of hip-hop back in 2003. It must have been some other Southerners.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 AM

323 posts, read 502,940 times
I'm a bit divided on this issue, but I certainly prefer women with southern accents—I think I have since watching Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs as a kid.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:

mane.
bo.
cuhh.
yuaaaaaaa!!

*edit*

take a wild guess.

edit again*

adfadlkfjd.
I don't know why but the line in bold stands out in your post.

It's like it just does not belong.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 AM
eek

you're in florida. turn on your radio right now (if you can) and turn to the local hip hop station. i want you to listen to it for 2 hours straight, if possible.

post again in two hours with your thoughts.

listen to how the dj's sound. listen to how the artists pronounce the lyrics of their songs.

if possible, maybe download a gucci mane and oj the juice man mixtape from ...well, i don't know if i can link a site on here. try googling those names along with the words download mixtape.

you'll see that that sentence belongs right where it is and it should be bolded.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Im from GA and I love all types of accent with the exceptions of NY girls....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City