Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:37 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,739 times

Advertisements

Depends on what you want--

Both areas have very diverse economies with lots of major companies. Take Raleigh if you are tired of winter and want to be closer to the ocean and NC mountains. Chapel Hill is probably similar to Iowa City. But I think Minneapolis-St.Paul is a great city to live in. Even though the Twin Cities have their share of suburban sprawl, the central urbanized area of the Twin Cities (meaning basically the area from Uptown/Lakes District/Eat Street/Dwtn Mpls/UofM/Dinkytown/Midway as well as Highland Park/Grand Ave/Selby/Dwtn St. Paul) is far larger than anything in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, and the parkways along the rivers, lakes and creeks make the Twin Cities an outstanding place for urban recreation. When I was in the Research Triangle a few years ago, I thought it had a few interesting areas, but they definitely are scattered over a wide area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why would you be worried about Raleigh feeling "too small" or "college town-ish" if you've been living in Iowa City? Raleigh is about 6x the size of Iowa City, and the Research Triangle area is about 10x the size of the Iowa City metro area. Raleigh is also the capital of North Carolina, so it is much more than just a college town.
Um, I think she wants to move on from her college life. College towns are great when you are in college, but when you graduate you may want a more "big city" feel.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 PM

116 posts, read 245,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
This is an absurd comment and shows that you know very little about the Triangle region.
Lived in Carrboro for 5 years and worked as a club DJ in both Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Moved out just a couple years ago. I'm going to ignore the rest of your post now.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
It's a tough time to be looking for work right now. I'd be more worried about finding a job than anything else, personally. Why not apply for jobs in both places (while still in school), see what happens, and move wherever you get a good job offer? You're young, you don't have to stay wherever you choose forever, and in today's job market I think you'll need to factor in job opportunities as much as anything.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
She didn't say she was satisfied with the size of Iowa City, did she? Having lived in a place for sometime doesn't mean that she likes it or she thinks it is perfect. Maybe it is because Iowa City is too small that she wants to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why would you be worried about Raleigh feeling "too small" or "college town-ish" if you've been living in Iowa City? Raleigh is about 6x the size of Iowa City, and the Research Triangle area is about 10x the size of the Iowa City metro area. Raleigh is also the capital of North Carolina, so it is much more than just a college town.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 PM

4 posts, read 16,660 times
Quote:
Um, I think she wants to move on from her college life. College towns are great when you are in college, but when you graduate you may want a more "big city" feel.
I couldn't have said this better myself Basically, I am worried that much of Raleigh's downtown scene revolves around NC State, as well as neighboring Duke and UNC. Also, downtown Chapel Hill is very much like the pedestrian mall/downtown Iowa City-- another reason I was a bit concerned. I loved Iowa City while I was a student, I'm just looking for something much larger and geared more toward young professionals as opposed to college students.

I really appreciate hearing what everyone has to say! I'm learning a lot about both cities!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkigirl View Post
I couldn't have said this better myself Basically, I am worried that much of Raleigh's downtown scene revolves around NC State, as well as neighboring Duke and UNC. Also, downtown Chapel Hill is very much like the pedestrian mall/downtown Iowa City-- another reason I was a bit concerned. I loved Iowa City while I was a student, I'm just looking for something much larger and geared more toward young professionals as opposed to college students.

I really appreciate hearing what everyone has to say! I'm learning a lot about both cities!
Raleigh's downtown doesn't really revolve around NC State much at all. The crowd in downtown Raleigh is generally a bit older and more professional than the typical college crowd.

While I haven't gone out much in Durham, it also doesn't revolve around Duke. While Duke's presence is felt a bit more in Durham than NCSU's in Raleigh, it doesn't necessarily feel like a college town to me. The one exception would probably be the 9th Street area.

Chapel Hill, on the other hand, is heavily influenced by the presence of UNC. It certainly has the feel of the classic college town.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:36 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
In fact I can't think of a single thing they have in common.
I can: smart people!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
Lived in Carrboro for 5 years and worked as a club DJ in both Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Moved out just a couple years ago. I'm going to ignore the rest of your post now.
Ignore it if you want to. I've spent more than 18 years in Raleigh & Durham and still live here today. Even in just the past few years there has been tremendous revitalization in the urban areas in Raleigh & Durham.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:55 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Raleigh's downtown doesn't really revolve around NC State much at all. The crowd in downtown Raleigh is generally a bit older and more professional than the typical college crowd.

While I haven't gone out much in Durham, it also doesn't revolve around Duke. While Duke's presence is felt a bit more in Durham than NCSU's in Raleigh, it doesn't necessarily feel like a college town to me. The one exception would probably be the 9th Street area.

Chapel Hill, on the other hand, is heavily influenced by the presence of UNC. It certainly has the feel of the classic college town.
Here's the most accurate description of the way it is in the tri-cities. To call Raleigh a 'college town' is inaccurate and dismissive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City