Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 AM

4 posts, read 16,660 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm currently a senior at the University of Iowa (go Hawkeyes!) who is graduating in December. I'm very seriously contemplating moving to either Minneapolis, MN or Raleigh, NC post-graduation. I've been to Minneapolis many, many times; however, I've only visited the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area once. I really liked the research triangle area, but I am also worried that it may feel a bit too small or "college town-ish" whereas I know Minneapolis can stand alone.

Can anyone help make my decision any easier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
Raleigh

Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkigirl View Post
Hi everyone! I'm currently a senior at the University of Iowa (go Hawkeyes!) who is graduating in December. I'm very seriously contemplating moving to either Minneapolis, MN or Raleigh, NC post-graduation. I've been to Minneapolis many, many times; however, I've only visited the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area once. I really liked the research triangle area, but I am also worried that it may feel a bit too small or "college town-ish" whereas I know Minneapolis can stand alone.

Minneapolis.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 AM

116 posts, read 245,321 times
They couldn't be more different. One is a major metro area that has cold winters. The other is a small to medium sized completely suburban metro area with three disconnected centers and no street lights on the roads. In fact I can't think of a single thing they have in common.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:40 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:

Why would you be worried about Raleigh feeling "too small" or "college town-ish" if you've been living in Iowa City? Raleigh is about 6x the size of Iowa City, and the Research Triangle area is about 10x the size of the Iowa City metro area. Raleigh is also the capital of North Carolina, so it is much more than just a college town.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
I am NOT going to tell you which place you should choose. However, I think you've answered your own question with this quote "I am also worried that it may feel a bit too small or "college town-ish" whereas I know Minneapolis can stand alone."

I assume you are torn due to weather (NC being MUCH warmer). My suggestion is try looking at a larger southern city like Atlanta. That way you can get a "Minneapolis" down south. If you MUST have NC, take a look at Charlotte (feels and looks larger than Raleigh).

Again, I am not telling you where you should go (I personally would go where I got the best job offer). I am however saying expand your search to more southern cities than just Raleigh.

Good luck with your search!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
They couldn't be more different. One is a major metro area that has cold winters. The other is a small to medium sized completely suburban metro area with three disconnected centers and no street lights on the roads. In fact I can't think of a single thing they have in common.
This is an absurd comment and shows that you know very little about the Triangle region. Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill/Carrboro all have their own downtowns with varying degrees of urban/city feel. In my opinion, while Raleigh is the largest city with the biggest downtown, Durham has a more urban feel to it. There is certainly a huge amount of suburban sprawl, just as their is in the greater-MSP metro area. As for the streetlight comment , we do have streetlights, and IMO too many of them along most of the main roads in town. There are not a lot of streetlights on the more rural roads and those outside of the city limits...as it should be. Why bother polluting the night sky with light unnecessarily.

I personally love the Twin Cities, however the climate there is a bit too harsh for my liking. I also agree with urbancharlotte's comment about opening your search up to other souther cities, but most importantly is to go where you have a job.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM

198 posts, read 261,774 times
Go with Raleigh Durham Area. That big city feel of traffic and density can grow old quick if you actually have to live with it every day. Plus in Raleigh you are only a half a days drive from Washington DC or Atlanta GA if you need your Big City fix.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Raleigh...its in a better location. You're close to Charlotte, Atlanta, and DC. The overall scenery in NC makes it a better state also.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:58 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,336 times
Minneapolis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City