Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:06 PM

273 posts, read 322,789 times

Advertisements

Nope. Seattle's only saving grace is Mt. Rainier, which is like 50 or 60 miles away. The actual skyline of skyscrapers sucks. The best building is Columbia Center, and Toronto has many buildings better than Columbia Center. Aura and One Bloor East for example.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:07 PM

Seattle's skyline is tiny too. It looks alright from West Seattle, but what many don't realize is that it's only a few blocks "deep". From the waterfront to I-5 is less than 1 mile.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:23 PM

23 posts, read 34,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
Nope. Seattle's only saving grace is Mt. Rainier, which is like 50 or 60 miles away. The actual skyline of skyscrapers sucks. The best building is Columbia Center, and Toronto has many buildings better than Columbia Center. Aura and One Bloor East for example.
I sense the Seattle envy is strong with this one

Old 05-31-2014, 03:17 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
OK, post pictures proving Seattle has a better skyline. I've been to Seattle twice and you're wrong. Yes, Columbia Center is nice, but Toronto has dozens of nice skyscrapers, so Toronto wins there. Space Needle is lame and short. CN Tower is three times as tall. Mt. Rainier is nice, but it's a long ways from downtown Seattle. In many skyline pictures of Seattle, you can't even see it.

You're wrong and you're lying. There are lots of memorable buildings in downtown Toronto. Look at the new L Tower or the new Ice Condos for instance. They are better than anything Seattle has to offer. So is the new Mirvish and Gehry planned towers.
All this stuff about CN Tower being taller doesn't mean its better looking, at least to some of us. Once again beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me the Space Needle is much more attractive. I never found the CN Tower attractive at all. The Seattle skyline is smaller but I find it far more attractive.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:30 PM

592 posts, read 827,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
All this stuff about CN Tower being taller doesn't mean its better looking, at least to some of us. Once again beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me the Space Needle is much more attractive. I never found the CN Tower attractive at all. The Seattle skyline is smaller but I find it far more attractive.
Neither the CN Tower or the Space Needle look that great in person. However, the CN Tower is more impressive. I agree that the Seattle skyline is more attractive, but in person, its pretty small

Old 05-31-2014, 03:39 PM

592 posts, read 827,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The more massive a skyline becomes the harder it is to have an 'appealing' skyline. HK is massive and and although there are some nice buildings most are just average.. The larger you become the more difficult it will be to be aesthetically appealing or balanced. A lot of the condo's in T.O are pretty boring and mainstream but If you look at the main buildings individually there is actually a lot of cred to their architectural merit as per my previous post relating to individual buildings. NYC and Chicago stand out for beauty due to the growth in scraper development they had prior to the 50's - that classic scraper style they have that no other cities can match - but at the end of the day as beautiful as those buildings are they are in the past and won't be matched or replicated ever again.
You definitely make some good points, as usual. My issue, and do not take this as in insult, is that Toronto's skyline does come off as a bit soulless to me. Even as I walked downtown Toronto and took pictures of the huge buildings in the CBD, I felt like the skyline could have a lot more charm given all the construction. I don't agree with the other poster who said its a "grey" skyline but even all the glass construction doesn't come off charming or impressive. All those little droid like condos on the lake front aren't adding to the skyline either. Walking through a downtown such a Chicago, you can feel a sense of power. You feel the character of the city. Walking around downtown Toronto, I just don't feel much. And I actually like Toronto a lot more now than I did a few years ago, and I wish than San Francisco had as much construction going on, but it is a bit lifeless when it comes to the new construction.

That being said, Toronto still has a more impressive skyline than Seattle.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:51 PM

23 posts, read 34,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
You definitely make some good points, as usual. My issue, and do not take this as in insult, is that Toronto's skyline does come off as a bit soulless to me. Even as I walked downtown Toronto and took pictures of the huge buildings in the CBD, I felt like the skyline could have a lot more charm given all the construction. I don't agree with the other poster who said its a "grey" skyline but even all the glass construction doesn't come off charming or impressive. All those little droid like condos on the lake front aren't adding to the skyline either. Walking through a downtown such a Chicago, you can feel a sense of power. You feel the character of the city. Walking around downtown Toronto, I just don't feel much. And I actually like Toronto a lot more now than I did a few years ago, and I wish than San Francisco had as much construction going on, but it is a bit lifeless when it comes to the new construction.

Toronto skyline is full of cheap glass condos and TO has overcast in its 6 months of winter. The skyline looks grey and drab. Seattle has days where it overcasts too but it's coastal location and mountains only add to its skyline. Toronto's a cool city but a bland and soulless city too.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post

Your points are valid and I respect your opinion. Toronto simply is not going to have the same grand architecture of the past as Chicago or NYC - different growth at different times. Also Chicago has more office towers whereas Toronto - no slouch in Office Tower dev is not on the same level but even in that arena its making headway.. Nobody in N.A and practically the world save for maybe HK and Shanghai/Shenzhen can touch NYC so that is accepted.

As for sense of power, sure a general condo isn't going to give off the same sense of power as a general Office bldg. Now talking about power - if you look at newest projects like One Bloor, ICE and Aura - these are the newest generation of Toronto condo scrapers that are coming off with that sense of power because they are HUGE buildings - not just in height but massive podiums and bases. There are a few others just breaking ground around southcore that are doing the same - Massey Tower is going to be amazing. This is what is happening with Toronto Condos now - they are getting bigger, taller and also more distinctive.

These bad boys are coming and they aren't lacking in architectural cred or a sense of power whatsoever and will see a new Supertall for the city breaking ground in 2016.

Revised Mirvish-Gehry design saves Princess of Wales Theatre: Hume | Toronto Star

Toronto's skyline is a work in progress and its an exciting and transformative one at that so more and more one will have to reshape their opinion of it to keep pace with its change. Anyway I really like Seattle's skyline as well and an awesome backdrop but there comes a time when people have to stop feeding off of a mountain and the Space Needle

Last edited by fusion2; 05-31-2014 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
That wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you used to live in Seattle's "Central District" would it?

Old 05-31-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Serpent for 18Minutes View Post
The skyline looks grey and drab.
No. I just posted a picture proving the skyline has lots of colour. In fact, almost none of the new towers built in recent years are grey. You're outright lying or you just don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Seattle has days where it overcasts too
Seattle is overcast more of the year than Toronto.

Quote:
Toronto's a cool city but a bland and soulless city too.
Toronto has ten times more soul than Seattle. Hell, Kensington Market ALONE has ten times more soul than Seattle. I've spent many hours walking around Seattle - downtown, Belltown, Waterfront, Pioneer Square, "International District", Pike-Pine corridor, Capitol Hill, Ballard, Wallingford, University District, and West Seattle. Seattle doesn't have anywhere near the amount of character or soul as areas in Toronto like Kensington Market, Little Italy, Parkdale or The Beaches.

If you think it does, than you haven't explored Toronto on foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City