Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I think much of this is American homerism. I like the Space Needle but the CN Tower is far more iconic and impressive, as is Toronto's skyline and city as well. Seattle has better weather and a more beautiful landscape but Toronto wins everything else.
Homerism is not what it is. The CN Tower is taller but its not more iconic by any means and frankly not that attractive to some of us. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some of us prefer the Space Needle. At over 50 years in the Seattle landscape it is quite beautiful.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:23 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
Both emporis and the SSP database confirm that the Amazon Tower at 2021 7th Avenue is the only 500+ foot building u/c in Seattle.

Toronto has 21 500+ FOOTERS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. And there are more breaking ground all the time.
^Pretty much. Thats more than Seattle has built/under construction/approved...all together.

And as far as the Space Needle vs the CN Tower is concerned. The CN is much more iconic. The CN Tower is a national symbol. Compared to the Space Needle which is only a 'regional' symbol.

Skylines: Toronto > Seattle

Old 05-13-2014, 04:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Homerism is not what it is. The CN Tower is taller but its not more iconic by any means and frankly not that attractive to some of us. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some of us prefer the Space Needle. At over 50 years in the Seattle landscape it is quite beautiful.
We can all have our preferences but the CN Tower is ranked as one of the 7 wonders of the Modern World by the American Society of Civil Engineers (see link below) and ranked 2nd in the World Federation of Great Towers behind the Eiffel Tower.

World Wonders and Facts - CN Tower

Additionally, The CN Tower garners 1.5 million visitors annually vs The Space Needle's 1 million. (sources the websites of each attraction)

Astounding - CN Tower

Fun Facts - Space Needle

Old 05-13-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
The Space Needle was also considered a modern day engineering wonder at the time. Looks wise the CN is butt ugly IMO

Considered is one thing - but the CN Tower has the distinction of being ranked as one of the 7 wonders of the modern world by the American (not Canadian) Society of Civil Engineers along with the Chunnel, The Golden Gate Bridge, The ESB, Itaipu Dam, The North Sea Protection works and the Panama Canal... not the Space Needle. The Space Needle isn't that bad to be honest - it has its appeals and has aged well and as I said compliments the Seattle skyline well (Both tower make each cities skyline recognizable which is a good thing!) - but as far as engineering cred goes I don't think it is a contest.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-13-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 05:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
I think much of this is American homerism. I like the Space Needle but the CN Tower is far more iconic and impressive, as is Toronto's skyline and city as well. Seattle has better weather and a more beautiful landscape but Toronto wins everything else.
City Data just loves everything about Seattle.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
I'm sure it is a great city. But Toronto is a global hub, very international, more culture than Seattle, more swimmable beaches in summer (albeit on a lake, and I am sure Seattle has some lakes with warm summer water), more walkable with better transit. Toronto is an alpha world city and Seattle just does not measure up besides having better scenery and warmer winters.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 PM

233 posts, read 752,404 times
Quote:
I'm sure it is a great city. But Toronto is a global hub, very international, more culture than Seattle, more swimmable beaches in summer (albeit on a lake, and I am sure Seattle has some lakes with warm summer water), more walkable with better transit. Toronto is an alpha world city and Seattle just does not measure up besides having better scenery and warmer winters.
I thought the thread was a skyline battle? I would hope Toronto has a lot more culture, international feel etc.. as it is the largest city in Canada. I repeat, the largest city in Canada….vs…the 22nd largest city (15th largest metro) in the USA. Seattle's GDP doesn't even rank in America's top ten. So.. Bravo for beating Seattle there I guess.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I thought the thread was a skyline battle? I would hope Toronto has a lot more culture, international feel etc.. as it is the largest city in Canada. I repeat, the largest city in Canada….vs…the 22nd largest city (15th largest metro) in the USA. Seattle's GDP doesn't even rank in America's top ten. So.. Bravo for beating Seattle there I guess.
Seattle is the 13th largest metro - but yeah this tread should be about skylines of the two and the buildings in them.. Also as a Torontonian I must confess I went like this with the swimmable beaches part .... Native Torontonians only would go to a Toronto beach in absolute desperation haha.. for that we go up north in the summer or to the Caribbean in the winter.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 AM

273 posts, read 323,094 times
Quote:
The Space Needle was also considered a modern day engineering wonder at the time. Looks wise the CN is butt ugly IMO. The CN is like a giant concrete toothpick while the Space Needle is a mid-century modern masterpiece.It's elegant,airy and futuristic looking.
And short. Very, very short.

There's a lot less to do at the Space Needle as well. You certainly can't do this:

Old 05-14-2014, 02:15 PM

233 posts, read 752,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
And short. Very, very short.

There's a lot less to do at the Space Needle as well. You certainly can't do this:

No you can't.. and I'm totally okay with that. This trend of adding gimmicky attractions to towers these days i.e.. Chicago recently with a lean out on the John Hancock and Toronto's version here at the CN are not my thing. I'd rather that just exist in Las Vegas. You're right, the Space Needle is much shorter than the CN Tower, just like the Chrysler building is much shorter than the Burj Khalifa. One impresses me aesthetically and the other as a feat of engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City