Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
In the world's point of view? In not sure about that. Remember Seattle's has been popularized by TV and Film, not to mention it's older then the CN Tower. The CN tower really had no purpose then just being an Observation tower, the Space needle was suppose to be the building of the Future! That of Sci-Fi Stories. Not the the CN tower isn't impressive but I think for many reasons the Space needle is more famed then the CN tower. I dont really know that many people who truly know Toronto Skyline, I think the Vancouver skyline at this point is More recognizable just because it's in the media so much. But I obviously dont have solid facts supporting that assertion but I think US skylines are more "famous" think Canadian skylines.
You're entitled to have your opinion but I beg to differ....Space Needle? meh
I guess it was cool in 1962

CN Tower was for many years the worlds tallest free standing structure.
Seattle is OK for it's size but it ain't no Toronto.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
well let me rephrase what i mean. Toronto is a world class city with an impressive skyline. Even more impressive then Seattlee. But I dont think toronto has the fame of skylines like New York or Chicgo or Sanfrancisco while Seattl ehas had some popular movies and tv shows. thats why i think an the worlds eye Seattles skyline is slightly more recognizable to the world.
Why are you getting NYC - Chicago and S.F involved.. NYC is obviously on another planet compared to these cities in practically every measure.. Check check no surprise to anyone.

S.F gets slightly more International tourists than Toronto - fact.

Toronto gets many more international tourists than Chicago and Seattle - fact.
Top 100 Cities Destination Ranking - Analyst Insight from Euromonitor International

The CN Tower gets more than half million more annual visitors than the Space Needle - Fact.

Additionally even if what you are saying about Seattle is correct over Toronto in movies and television... there is such a thing as the internet that is a great equalizer..

Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
well let me rephrase what i mean. Toronto is a world class city with an impressive skyline. Even more impressive then Seattlee. But I dont think toronto has the fame of skylines like New York or Chicgo or Sanfrancisco while Seattl ehas had some popular movies and tv shows. thats why i think an the worlds eye Seattles skyline is slightly more recognizable to the world.
Toronto's skyline is more recognizable and famous worldwide than Seattles. Toronto's consistently ranks higher than Seattle's on various list. The CN Tower (as this has been said many times) was the world tallest free structure in the world for a couple of decades.

I think you said in an earlier post the "The CN tower really had no purpose then just being an Observation tower"? I think your confusing that statement with the Space Needle. The Space Needle is just an observation tower. While the CN is was actually built as a large radio/tv communication tower, observation tower, tourist attraction, restaurant, and a actual amusement/attraction tower (you can actually walk on the outside of the tower at the top of it...kind of like going to an amusement park in the sky. This is called Edge Walk which was added as an activity in recent years. So therefore you earlier post about CN just being an observation tower is incorrect, since the idea was to build a massive communication tower (which is still is) and not an observation tower. The idea of building the observation deck was not in the original plan at all if you look up the CN Tower's history.

While the Space Needle is a regional symbol, the CN Tower is a national symbol.

The CN Tower was ranked #2 in the world federation of towers list (CN Tower Facts) and also one the Seven Wonders of the World by the American Society of Civil Engineers (along with Empire State Building, GG Bridge etc.)
Wonders of the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Space Needle is cool, but it just doesn't sit on the same level as the CN Tower on a world scale.

As far as the "more international visitors debate", Toronto gets more than Chicago and SF according to this Mastercard study (page 14 in link below):

http://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-co...Index_2012.pdf

Toronto ranks 3rd in North America after NYC and LA. Out of the top 10 listed in North America, Toronto has the highest growth of int'l visitors at 7.6%... more growth than NYC and LA (page 14). When it comes to spending by international visitors, Toronto is also growing the most by any North American city in the top 10 and the only city in that list to grow by double digits figures in spending by int'l visitors (by 10.2%, on page 15).

Old 08-07-2013, 08:54 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Toronto's skyline is more recognizable and famous worldwide than Seattles. Toronto's consistently ranks higher than Seattle's on various list. The CN Tower (as this has been said many times) was the world tallest free structure in the world for a couple of decades.

I think you said in an earlier post the "The CN tower really had no purpose then just being an Observation tower"? I think your confusing that statement with the Space Needle. The Space Needle is just an observation tower. While the CN is was actually built as a large radio/tv communication tower, observation tower, tourist attraction, restaurant, and a actual amusement/attraction tower (you can actually walk on the outside of the tower at the top of it...kind of like going to an amusement park in the sky. This is called Edge Walk which was added as an activity in recent years. So therefore you earlier post about CN just being an observation tower is incorrect, since the idea was to build a massive communication tower (which is still is) and not an observation tower. The idea of building the observation deck was not in the original plan at all if you look up the CN Tower's history.

While the Space Needle is a regional symbol, the CN Tower is a national symbol.

The CN Tower was ranked #2 in the world federation of towers list (CN Tower Facts) and also one the Seven Wonders of the World by the American Society of Civil Engineers (along with Empire State Building, GG Bridge etc.)
Wonders of the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Space Needle is cool, but it just doesn't sit on the same level as the CN Tower on a world scale.

As far as the "more international visitors debate", Toronto gets more than Chicago and SF according to this Mastercard study (page 14 in link below):

http://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-co...Index_2012.pdf

Toronto ranks 3rd in North America after NYC and LA. Out of the top 10 listed in North America, Toronto has the highest growth of int'l visitors at 7.6%... more growth than NYC and LA (page 14). When it comes to spending by international visitors, Toronto is also growing the most by any North American city in the top 10 and the only city in that list to grow by double digits figures in spending by int'l visitors (by 10.2%, on page 15).
I know the CN tower is a great attraction, I also know that Toronto gets alot of tourist. I was not arguing against those points. I was stating the the CN tower though popular in North America, but im not sure how "Iconic" it is overseas. I never really here anyone talking much about Toronto when I travel or Meet foreigners. It's an impressive skyline no doubt, But I think it's still missing the "WOW" factor which separates it from being a one of the top 10 skylines in the world. It's still high up there and a symbol of Canada but it doesn't completely blow Seattle out of the League. Just my Opinion didn't think it would cause such a strong reaction from people.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I never really here anyone talking much about Toronto when I travel or Meet foreigners. .
When I travel or meet foreigners we don't talk about Seattle either - these topics don't normally come up in tourism

watch the first 45 seconds of this video - showing the latest in the dev of Toronto's rapidly growing skyline.

Toronto Helicopter view - YouTube

Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Seattle is a much prettier city than Toronto. Personally I prefer its skyline over Toronto's, with the more twinkling waterfront and greenery and mountains.

Toronto is Canada's concrete jungle. I've been there 3 times. It seemed everything could go wrong there- was very chaotic, something always seemed to be backlogged there.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Funny how Devan is trying to say, people don't talk about Toronto around the world...uh, hello? People don't talk about Seattle that much either LOL.

Seattle is no SF so please stop trying to boost it to that level.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Seattle is a much prettier city than Toronto. Personally I prefer its skyline over Toronto's, with the more twinkling waterfront and greenery and mountains.

Toronto is Canada's concrete jungle. I've been there 3 times. It seemed everything could go wrong there- was very chaotic, something always seemed to be backlogged there.
Ok Seattle isn't going to win the density contest here or keep pace with Toronto's Highrise development but I can understand the appreciation for a 'pretty' skyline/city so i'll grant you that... but whaaaat - Toronto seemed chaotic and something always seems backlogged.. what do you mean? Certainly Toronto has one of the highest Pedestrian Density levels in N.A... is this what you mean

Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
When I travel or meet foreigners we don't talk about Seattle either - these topics don't normally come up in tourism

watch the first 45 seconds of this video - showing the latest in the dev of Toronto's rapidly growing skyline.

Toronto Helicopter view - YouTube
There's really no argument. Toronto's skyline is just much more massive. You can fit multiple Seattles into Toronto's skyline.

Easily Toronto for the wow factor, but Seattle's is great itself, but just doesn't measure up to Toronto's massiveness.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Funny how Devan is trying to say, people don't talk about Toronto around the world...uh, hello? People don't talk about Seattle that much either LOL.

Seattle is no SF so please stop trying to boost it to that level.
Did I say that? No I didn't. Not comparing cities either. This is about the skylines. Obviously Toronto is a world reknowned city but that doesn't mean that it's skyline is recognizable. Just like some people my only know Seattle for Rain and Coffee and nothing else, Toronto has other characteristics which makes it stand out being the largest city in Canada. Berlin is a World Renowned city and I doubt the average american would know what it's skyline is. That said I never said Toronto wasn't know or a great city, nor did I say anything about Seattle having to worldwide notoriety as San Francisco. Some Skylines are just more recognizable then others even if that other city is World class. In terms of Building and Height Toronto is way more impressive but I just prefer more scenic natural settings like San Francisco, Vancouver, Seattle, Sydney, Rio, Etc. Thats my opinion not yours, unless I cant have an opinion on this forum anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City