Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Oh no! Not credibility! This is city data my friend. Not the BBC. I also like how you don't really have a rebuttal.
I understood what you meant, but the choice of words was a little over the top. Bourbon Street in New Orleans is always like that (at least on the weekends), but I'd still never, ever compare it to NYC.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
We've got culture, just not the same sort that Nashville has. And a lot of the local flavor is found in the surrounding neighborhoods instead of within Uptown itself.
I'm sure Charlotte has a has cultured areas but not to the same extent that Nashville does. I lived in Austin for a while and loved being in a city that was very very well renowned for being a cultural city like Nashville. I'm sure Charlotte is a great city, but it's not on that same level.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Guess you've never been to Nashville during the CMA music festival!!
NYC doesn't need a damn festival to have large crowds.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
I really don't care if you think Charlotte is a better place to live or visit than Nashville but I think this thread has proven what I've been arguing the whole time. As a whole Nashville compares to Charlotte and is in the same league. They are peer cities and each has its strength and weakness.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Um, if you had said the "residential cities of Charlotte and Nashville are not that far apart in terms of size" then I would agree with you there. However, Charlotte attracts more visitors per year and (with a more dense MSA) probably attracts more commuters on a daily basis as well. This would make Charlotte "functionally" larger than Nashville. Don't ya think?
I was using "functional city" as a reflection of urbanized area. In that regard, Pineville, Huntersville, Mint Hill, Fort Mill, etc. are all part of the "functional city" of Charlotte although they are separate municipalities because they are included in the urbanized area of Charlotte. "Residential city" is pretty much the same as the official muncipality, at least to me.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I'm sure Charlotte has a has cultured areas but not to the same extent that Nashville does. I lived in Austin for a while and loved being in a city that was very very well renowned for being a cultural city like Nashville. I'm sure Charlotte is a great city, but it's not on that same level.
Yes, but the insinuation was that Charlotte has no culture whatsoever. Had you said "Give me Nashville's culture over Charlotte's," I could understand. But to say "Give me culture over a large financial district" is implying that Charlotte totally lacks culture all the way around which is not true at all.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Quote:
Wait, City vs. City threads have credibility? When did this happen?
Haha I was alluding to the fact that everyone on city cata are opinionated.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yes, but the insinuation was that Charlotte has no culture whatsoever. Had you said "Give me Nashville's culture over Charlotte's," I could understand. But to say "Give me culture over a large financial district" is implying that Charlotte totally lacks culture all the way around which is not true at all.
I'm sorry but Charlotte's cultural relevance and reputation doesn't compare to Nashville's. Nothing against Charlotte, but it just doesn't compete with Nashville in this category.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but Charlotte's cultural relevance and reputation doesn't compare to Nashville's. Nothing against Charlotte, but it just doesn't compete with Nashville in this category.
Very few cities in Charlotte's and Nashville's tier can say so; the others I can think of off the top of my head would be Memphis, Austin, and New Orleans. But we have other redeeming qualities, so it's all good.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:25 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Charlotte has NASCAR culture. Charlotte is one of the principal cities of American racing. I think it's a shame many of the wannabees in Charlotte frown upon this like it's something to be ashamed of. Charlotte is also the hometown of Billy Graham and Rick Flair (The king of entertainment wrestling). These essential elements of Charlotte culture are still flourishing today, regardless if a bunch of wannabee yuppies disapprove.

I myself enjoyed going to Charlotte to visit my sister, and getting my mouth filled with western style barbecue. Unlike Raleigh, the "native" people in Charlotte are down home and down to earth. Atlanta used to share this same trait. It feels good going to a different city whether it be Wilmington, Asheville, or Charlotte. Everyone needs a change of atmosphere every now and then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City