Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times

Advertisements

ok, this is kind of a weird thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:04 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,417 times
Chicago and New York get compared because they are arguably two of the most similar in the U.S. Movies are filmed in Chicago that are set in New York. Yeah, they do that in Hollywood a lot, but not in the same way.

By the way, Chicago will soon be sprawling into Milwaukee so they're pretty much the same "city" if you know what I mean.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
hrrm...

NYC has the quality and the quantity... sure it is unfair to compare Chicago.

Honestly Chicago and Houston is a better comparison... preferences aside, I think Chicago still wins, but that is Chicago's closest rival.

LA is out of Chicagos league already in population size and stature (as of 2008 LA is a 17.7 million CSA while Chicago is 9.7 million), if any city will give NYC a run it is LA...

For Chicago and Houston ...
They both have arts, symphony, business, the populations and level of cosmopolitan...one definitely being the midwest, one definitely being the south.

Sure Chicago is going to rip it in finance and architecture, but Houston will rip Chicago in other categories...

people on here are too caught up in skylines.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:27 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,400 times
Ok..., one what is there to do in Chicago? I don't see it as a major destination city. And second LA skyline isn't even that pathetic anymore it has grown over the past years so back off.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Chicago's CSA is actually 12,000,00 that includes Indiana and Wisconsin and Milwaukee also know as the Gary-Chicago-Milwaukee Corridor. Evidence of this one big area is all the development between Milwaukee and Chicago and now they are expanding the freeway to 4 lanes in each way in between the two cities.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Ok..., one what is there to do in Chicago? I don't see it as a major destination city.
Chicago has Michigan Ave, Grant Park, Navy Pier, the Sears (Willis) Tower, The Loop, Chicago River architectural tours, excellent northside neighborhoods, top notch cuisine, beaches along Lake Michigan, Wrigley Field, etc... You really should visit Chicago sometime, it's a great place.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Ok..., one what is there to do in Chicago? I don't see it as a major destination city. And second LA skyline isn't even that pathetic anymore it has grown over the past years so back off.

A lot of people say that about LA. Second I don't know what skyline is worse for a city it's size Milwaukee's or LA.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Chicago has Michigan Ave, Grant Park, Navy Pier, the Sears (Willis) Tower, The Loop, Chicago River architectural tours, excellent northside neighborhoods, top notch cuisine, beaches along Lake Michigan, Wrigley Field, etc... You really should visit Chicago sometime, it's a great place.
Yep, it's a great destination...in the warmer months, that is.

BTW, you forgot the Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, the Museum of Contemporary Art, Millenium Park, Lincoln Park and all the other fabulous museums, parks and galleries the city has. That's why it's one of my favorites.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Default Yes, Virginia..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
What does skyline have to do with the quality of a city?
..there is a Santa Claus, and .....we have a winner!!

Finally, someone who isn't infatuated with skylines!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
A lot of people say that about LA. Second I don't know what skyline is worse for a city it's size Milwaukee's or LA.
Probally Milwaukee cause LA's skyline is a million times better. Take a look at this.

oh and who ask what to do in LA when there's places like Disney Land and Universal Studios? And might I add Hollywood, and Venice Beach. I haven't even covered half of what you can do in LA.

Quote:

Those sound great though some sound like things locals would do in their time off in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City