Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Sorry they just share developing similarities to me... Chicago and Houston, and what Houston is becoming as a business center, cosmopolitan, arts district, etc... Houston also had a 21% population growth...from 2000-2008...
I do not see why this will stop, esp as more companies move to TX.
Again yes Chicago mops the floor with Houston but I think they are setting up to be rivals, they are both well rounded in what they provide... the other cities aren't so well rounded and are leading niche cities
I'm not a fan of Houston at all but I know what is going on...
I also think Houston is metro now 4th in u.s. in F500 companies, Chicago being 3rd...
GDP now Chicago is 4 and Houston is 7.
within the next decade or so I expect Houston to continue on its population trend upward, as well as things to shift.
I suspect the SF/SJ metro to hop over Chicago as #4, Chicago to move to #5... along with Houston going over Boston from #7, to #6...

note current gdp is
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
4. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $526.895 Billion
6. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $413.930 Billion
7. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA $403.202 Billion
Blah, blah.

Houston and Chicago are not rivals. Chicago can be compared to every other Northeast city as well as LA.

I'm sure Houston is great at many things, but I've never heard anyone say that they are rivals. Houston vs. Dallas, now that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Wow a Twin Cities vs Milwaukee and Chicago vs Houston all in one thread, this might be the most diverse thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Blah, blah.

Houston and Chicago are not rivals. Chicago can be compared to every other Northeast city as well as LA.

I'm sure Houston is great at many things, but I've never heard anyone say that they are rivals. Houston vs. Dallas, now that's another story.
you just quoted me, but that isn't what I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico
Again yes Chicago mops the floor with Houston but I think they are setting up to be rivals, they are both well rounded in what they provide...
Also Texas in general has been stealing company hq's for awhile now b/c of resources and corporate tax structure. They have even stolen directly from Chicago, i.e. with FMC. Houston is competing a lot with Chicago for very same things, big companies, shipping, manufacturing, transportation, aero...There are only 5 cities with all performing arts categories and Houston is one of them...It already has a larger theater district than Chicago, as well as a larger medical district...Houston museum district is also up and coming...It is also a fairly big player now in international visitors and consulates, it already has more than Chicago... I'm telling you...Houston is after Chicago's money for a cheap vacation... not Dallas...

Of course this is a stretch, but don't be surprised...

On the other hand, of course Chicago will draw the most comparison towards NYC... the nature of the cities set up very differently...but comparing chicago to nyc isn't really fair, NYC is in another league. And yes DC is a better comparison right now, but the nature of DC isn't really like Chicago.

As for Chicago compared to east coast cities...it doesn't really feel the same to me... it feels more like other midwest cities, only much bigger, much different vibe.

Last edited by grapico; 10-01-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Sorry they just share developing similarities to me... Chicago and Houston, and what Houston is becoming as a business center, cosmopolitan, arts district, etc... Houston also had a 21% population growth...from 2000-2008...
I do not see why this will stop, esp as more companies move to TX.
Again yes Chicago mops the floor with Houston but I think they are setting up to be rivals, they are both well rounded in what they provide... the other cities aren't so well rounded and are leading niche cities
I'm not a fan of Houston at all but I know what is going on...
I also think Houston is metro now 4th in u.s. in F500 companies, Chicago being 3rd...
GDP now Chicago is 4 and Houston is 7.
within the next decade or so I expect Houston to continue on its population trend upward, as well as things to shift.
I suspect the SF/SJ metro to hop over Chicago as #4, Chicago to move to #5... along with Houston going over Boston from #7, to #6...

note current gdp is
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
4. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $526.895 Billion
6. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $413.930 Billion
7. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA $403.202 Billion
Where did you get the GDP from?

Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Milwaukee's highways are compact because less people travel on 'em.

Hoods like Riverside (Where else can you get Somali culture in the U.S??), Dinkytown, Phillps, and Uptown in Minneapolis are some of the most vibrant places I've been to in the U.S, and I've been to a lot of places.

You'll see a lot more alternative people in the Twin Cities than Milwaukee, and the big corporations in the Twin Cities, such as 3M, Target, Best Buy, and Medtronic, foster a large creative class of people.

Environmentalism and other liberal causes are big politics in Minneapolis especially. From what I've seen and experienced, uptown and the warehouse distict in Mpls totally rip comparable areas of Milwaukee. Better bars in Milwaukee, but the Twin Cities are well rounded with more clubs and alternative types of entertainment.

Actually, Milwaukee seems more like Saint Paul than Minneapolis to me in terms of feel.
Why do people from the Twin Cities always brag about having the largest Somali population in the US? I mean, it's not like the country of Somalia is renowned for its delicious food and warm hospitality Seems like kind of a strange thing to be so proud of.

As for the original topic, I get what MC is saying. NYC has 8 million in just the 5 boroughs, while Chicagoland has just under 10 million in a gigantic super-region. However, Chicago is still the 2nd best example of a major metropolis in all of North America, with Mexico City and LA being too sprawled and Toronto not being large enough. It's only natural to compare Chicago to NYC, but it really isn't fair to Chicago because it's half as big. The fact Chicago is even mentioned in the same breath as NYC is a testament to Chicago, but NYC should really only be compared with the likes of London and Paris.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:12 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Chicago has Michigan Ave, Grant Park, Navy Pier, the Sears (Willis) Tower, The Loop, Chicago River architectural tours, excellent northside neighborhoods, top notch cuisine, beaches along Lake Michigan, Wrigley Field, etc... You really should visit Chicago sometime, it's a great place.
Forgive me for just jumping in here, but I agree, visit Chicago sometime! I was there with my sister the last weekend of April to celebrate my birthday. Her son lives there and I saw it like only someone living there knows how to do! We took the L from Andersonville to downtown and walked everywhere...had Chicago pizza at Gino's East, sat along the shore of Lake Michigan, walked up and down Michigan Ave, and finished off the weekend with brunch at the Yolk and going to see "The Jersey Boys"!! A birthday to remember!!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why do people from the Twin Cities always brag about having the largest Somali population in the US? I mean, it's not like the country of Somalia is renowned for its delicious food and warm hospitality Seems like kind of a strange thing to be so proud of.

As for the original topic, I get what MC is saying. NYC has 8 million in just the 5 boroughs, while Chicagoland has just under 10 million in a gigantic super-region. However, Chicago is still the 2nd best example of a major metropolis in all of North America, with Mexico City and LA being too sprawled and Toronto not being large enough. It's only natural to compare Chicago to NYC, but it really isn't fair to Chicago because it's half as big. The fact Chicago is even mentioned in the same breath as NYC is a testament to Chicago, but NYC should really only be compared with the likes of London and Paris.
Have you ever tried Somali food or interacted with Somali people? Maybe you'd like the food if it was available where you live, just a thought.

It's something unique that the Twin Cities now have; the mixture of ethnic groups from around the world has made the metro much more vibrant.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 AM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
Well in the year of 2008 chicago had 45million visitors domes/inter and new york had just 2million more at 47mill just thought i would throw that in

Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Wow - this thread is EVERYWHERE!

I don't really see Chicago vs. Milwaukee at all. I love Milwaukee, and have been there countless times (their south suburbs are only 10 miles north of our north suburbs), but really Milwaukee is so much smaller than Chicago. I mean 10 million to 1.5 million.

I really don't compare New York to Chicago either on a definitive basis, since they're such different animals. Houston and Chicago are also very very different. I'd compare Chicago to Toronto before I did any other comparision. I honestly think Toronto wins in that race overall - they have a really awesome setup and a really awesome city going on there!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Have you ever tried Somali food or interacted with Somali people? Maybe you'd like the food if it was available where you live, just a thought.

It's something unique that the Twin Cities now have; the mixture of ethnic groups from around the world has made the metro much more vibrant.
What mixture of ethnic groups? You guys may have the 2nd largest Hmong population and the largest Somali population in the entire US, but you're not some international mecca like NYC or Toronto. Minneapolis is still one of the least diverse major cities in the entire US.

Minneapolis city, Minnesota - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2007
70.2% White
18.3% Black or African American
1.3% American Indian and Alaska Native
5.3% Asian
0.0% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander
4.9% Some other race
3.0% Two or more races
9.5% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City