Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM

331 posts, read 672,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
So according to your theory, Miami is more important than Boston, and Los Angeles because it has a better/bigger skyline?
You really list bad examples in trying to prove me wrong.

Miami's skyline is made up of almost exclusively "residential" condo's.

Just like "DC", bad example!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Ya, it does! But I'd say that Boston has it's far share of "historic" buildings that will never be torn down for a "skyscaper".

Boston probably has one the "weakest" skyline in the country as far as 'major' metro cities go.

They don't have much of a skyline in my opinon, but doesn't Boston have the "smallest" city limits in America as far as 'major' metro cities? That or SF does? But SF has a way better skyline, along with being more important of a city and having more power and promidence. Kinda proves my point again?..
No it doesn't prove your point again...your theory is beyond ridiculous. San Francisco is more important than Boston, but they're definitely in the same league.

Other cities with larger/more impressive skylines than Boston:

Houston...Boston's equal.
Philadelpiha...Boston is more important
Atlanta...Boston is more important
Dallas...Boston is more important
Seattle...is this even a question?
Minneapolis...same as Seattle

Even with our "weak" skyline, our downtown dwarfs all 6 of those cities in office space. It's not even close. We even have more office space than San Francisco (only by about 1.5m sq ft, but still). Let's take a look, shall we? All info obtained from www.grubb-ellis.com

Atlanta (composed of Midtown, Downtown, & Buckhead): 46,570,472 square feet
Dallas: 36,201,161 sq ft
Seattle: 42,710,776 sq ft
Minneapolis: 37,258,281 sq ft
Philadelphia: 39,788,854 sq ft
Houston: 35,345,454 sq st .... if you include Galleria (a neighborhood 7 miles outside of downtown) in Houston's office space then that increases to 64,863,296

Boston's CBD office space? 64,996,146 sq ft

So much for your theory, eh?

Last edited by tmac9wr; 11-25-2009 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
No it doesn't prove your point again...your theory is beyond ridiculous. San Francisco is more important than Boston, but they're definitely in the same league.

Other cities with larger/more impressive skylines than Boston:

Houston...Boston's equal.
Philadelpiha...Boston is more important
Atlanta...Boston is more important
Dallas...Boston is more important
Seattle...is this even a question?
Minneapolis...same as Seattle
Boston probably has the most disapointing skyline in the entire country, certainly the northeast.

Boston lives in the shadows of every city you listed, with the exception of Minneapolis.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:58 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,973 times
The old days when Chicago and New York were competing with one another are long over. New York has become a world city with its huge population of immingrants and is now competing with cities like Toyko, Shanghai, and London. Don't get me wrong though Chicago isn't left in the dust. In other words New York didn't win the contest. but the contest has changed from continental to international. Chicago may also have become a world city but isn't competing with New York as the American world city.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,417 times
Quote:
Boston probably has the most disapointing skyline in the entire country, certainly the northeast.

Boston lives in the shadows of every city you listed, with the exception of Minneapolis.
I personally don't think Boston's skyline is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Boston definitely doesn't live in the shadow of any of those cities, but way to hijack the thread. Anyway....Boston's skyline is dense, it just lacks height, but what else can you do when the airport is your neighbor...the same thing happened in San Diego.

Quote:
Welcome, to Phoenix, Arizona

Old 11-25-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Go back to the post you quoted of mine, because I edited it. After your finished reading be sure to tuck your tail between your legs, zip your lips, and quietly slink away into the shadows...

Dncr, thanks for stickin up for Boston! Our skyline isn't terrible, but it could be so much better. I definitely agree that we obviously don't live in the shadow of any of those cities. This guy is just dead-set on defending a ridiculous theory based on zero facts.

By the way WW, in what way do we "live in the shadow" of those cities?

Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Go back to the post you quoted of mine, because I edited it. After your finished reading be sure to tuck your tail between your legs, zip your lips, and quietly slink away into the shadows...

Dncr, thanks for stickin up for Boston! Our skyline isn't terrible, but it could be so much better. I definitely agree that we obviously don't live in the shadow of any of those cities. This guy is just dead-set on defending a ridiculous theory based on zero facts.

By the way WW, in what way do we "live in the shadow" of those cities?
Your football team don't even use Boston in it's name......

Boston does too live in the shadows of all those other cities listed, with the exception of Minneapolis.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Your football team don't even use Boston in it's name......

Boston does too live in the shadows of all those other cities listed, with the exception of Minneapolis.
Soooo, do you concede the point?

You said absolutely nothing based on any facts which would support your theory. The only thing you've been able to say is that our football team doesn't have "Boston" in the name...even when I asked you to explain how we live in those other cities' shadows, all you could muster up was "Boston does too live in those cities shadows..."

Old 11-25-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Soooo, do you concede the point?

You said absolutely nothing based on any facts which would support your theory. The only thing you've been able to say is that our football team doesn't have "Boston" in the name...even when I asked you to explain how we live in those other cities' shadows, all you could muster up was "Boston does too live in those cities shadows..."
Who even thinks about Boston except for some Irishman sitting in a Dublin bar? Those cities that where listed, are always in the spotlight for one reason or another. Sorry, but Boston is a forgotten city outside of education and sports. And if whey're talking about football, Pittsburgh has won 2 Super Bowl rings since you guys won your last won.

It's not a city that gets talked about, or mentioned in conversations.

I'm hungry, I'll post back later or tommorow, and post in greater detail.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Who even thinks about Boston except for some Irishman sitting in a Dublin bar? Those cities that where listed, are always in the spotlight for one reason or another. Sorry, but Boston is a forgotten city outside of education and sports. And if whey're talking about football, Pittsburgh has won 2 Super Bowl rings since you guys won your last won.

It's not a city that gets talked about, or mentioned in conversations.

I'm hungry, I'll post back later or tommorow, and post in greater detail.
Translation: *slinks into the shadows*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City