Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:09 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times

Advertisements

The closest thing that can compare to NYC in the states, is Chicago.
It may not all be that logical, but what else? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The closest thing that can compare to NYC in the states, is Chicago.
It may not all be that logical, but what else? Really?
Yeah I always thought that but after the last few weeks after my trip where I began paying far more attention. I noticed Philadelphia is almost a smaller version of New York City. Philadelphia is probably the closest city to feeling like New York City in the country, both by feel and by architecture.

Chicago may by paper look to be very similar to New York City, but it feels just so different, like very different, the foot traffic even feels different, and the architecture is just very different too.
Its weird because maybe its the fact that it isn't in the Northeast but in the Midwest instead, but the way they grew up, Chicago just became something different than it looks. Its got more of its own vibe going on. Philadelphia & New York City are more closely matched vibes to each other. And culturally too.

If that makes any sense?

Old 09-05-2010, 01:39 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Yeah I always thought that but after the last few weeks after my trip where I began paying far more attention. I noticed Philadelphia is almost a smaller version of New York City. Philadelphia is probably the closest city to feeling like New York City in the country, both by feel and by architecture.

Chicago may by paper look to be very similar to New York City, but it feels just so different, like very different, the foot traffic even feels different, and the architecture is just very different too.
Its weird because maybe its the fact that it isn't in the Northeast but in the Midwest instead, but the way they grew up, Chicago just became something different than it looks. Its got more of its own vibe going on. Philadelphia & New York City are more closely matched vibes to each other. And culturally too.

If that makes any sense?
Great post, Makes perfect sense and I totally agree, Chicago is different (in a good way) and feels more like a Midwestern city. I think the main reason why Chicago is compared to NY all the time is because they both have plenty of amazing tall skyscrapers.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 PM

222 posts, read 578,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't think its fair to compare Chicago to NYC but it happens because NYC has very little competition.

Chicago is a great city and could definitely hold its own against larger cities but I think NYC is too much, it should be put up against cities about the same size as itself. I would just like to add that population can be deceiving, look at NYC, Tokyo, and London, neither of them are even in the top 10 for the World's most populated cities yet all 3 are arguably the best cities on Earth.
Oh how foolish us americans are to think size really matters. Come on man size doesn't really matter it is what your city has in it which sets it apart. Where would you rather go Boston or Vegas. Lima, OHIO or Atlantic city, Dayton or Cincinnatti, Columbus or Miami. Even though Miami might have a larger metro Columbus city population is twice that of Miami and most people would prefer Miami to visit. If you go by pure population of city and area Columbus still trumps Miami. But where would you rather be. it all depends on and will always depend on who you talk too. Personally my self I agree that I do like NYC better than any city in the USA but I asked my cousin if he had a billion dollars would he want to live in NYC. He said NO!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
This is defintely a good point.

Comparing NYC to Chicago is stupid.

Comparing Chicago to Milwaukee is stupid.

Anyone who makes these comparisons is smoking the crack pipe, as NYC absolutely destroys Chicago, and Chicago does the same with Milwaukee.

Now if we are comparing "city feel" then Chicago and Milwaukee are VERY comparable, just like NYC and Philly are VERY comparable. These cities share regions, and therefore feel very similar.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,660 times
Chicago is kinda underrated; Milwaukee is very underrated. Milwaukee people, I love you, I love your city, I'd leave the DC area to live there in a heartbeat - it's been far too long since I've had any "cute" in my life, dammit. Don't think you're doing yourself any favors by bashing Chicago on C-D, though (and I realize you weren't doing so, OP)! We need to stick together and unite our powers against the Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic shoobies. (Just kidding - I actually think Philly and Baltimore are really underrated, too.. it's just DC that I don't like, honestly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Now if we are comparing "city feel" then Chicago and Milwaukee are VERY comparable, just like NYC and Philly are VERY comparable. These cities share regions, and therefore feel very similar.
Ohio248 is smoking a crack pipe. He must've acquired it in his home state of Michigan.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:40 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
just DC that I don't like, honestly.)

Ohio248 is smoking a crack pipe. He must've acquired it in his home state of Michigan.
Michigan?? Not quite getting this one. Inside joke or something?

As for Milwaukee and Chicago, and NYC and Philly, only a troll or complete idiot would argue they don't have strong similarities.

Milwaukee and Chicago are neighbors. NYC and Philly are neighbors. Obviously they share many similarities.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
All I was saying was that New York is far and above any other city in size, however I agree with everyone else that Chicago is the only city even comparable to NYC in our country.

Another point that many Chicago people dislike is the whole "Milwaukee Mini-Chicago" reference. Milwaukee is very similar to Chicago in city design aka layout. You can draw may similarities between the two cities from layout(Grid/angle streets) to Social similarities and architectural similarities.

Milwaukee's Mitchell street and Lincoln Ave(Lincoln Village) neighborhoods are just like Avondale in Chicago but on a smaller course obviously.

I was just making a size comparison with the title. It does seem like Chicago people, some not all try to distant themselves from Milwaukee and feel like it is an insult to even call Milw a mini Chicago. Chicago has a complelety different feel as soon as you cross the state line 30 miles away. Still you cannot ignore the slight or mini similairites.

PS: I love Chicago and would move there in a beat of a heart. I'm not bashing Chicago in a roundabout way. Speaking of roundabouts, I love them but I am beginning to hate them b/c nobody seems to know how to drive in them and in MKE they are popping up like daisies!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 PM

379 posts, read 467,984 times
Allow me to chime in, please. I am not American, therefore I have an objective view point. A little background - I am English. I came to NYC as a consultant a few years back. Since then, I have spent considerable time in the following cities: Seattle, Providence, Atlanta, Miami, LA, San Fran, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Lancaster (Philadelphia), and Columbus. The ONLY city which I felt was unique and really amazingly overwhelming was New York City. No offence to the rest of the great cities, but nothing can compare to NYC. Now I have never been to Milwaukee so I cannot comment, however, I will say this: Chicago, as lovely as it was, does not hold a candle to New York. In terms of energy, excitement, dining, nightlife, etc., no way, no how. LA was even worse. I once attempted to walk from my hotel to my work place - an entire mile (!), but there were no sidewalks or pedestrians. What a joke. This was from the W in Beverly Hills to 100 Avenue of the Stars in Century City. Cookie cutter suburban BS. And i've seen people on this forum attempt to defend LA's urbanity - but sorry's folks, it's dismal. And yes, the only cities that could even comprehend to compare with the awesomeness of NYC are Boston, Chicago, and Philadelphia. Maybe San Fran, on a good day. Other than that, from what i've seen, the rest of America is pretty interchangable. Call me an elitist ignoramus, I dont care. I'll call a spade a spade.

NYC is the only city in this country which is world class on a level comprable to London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Toyko. The rest? LA - Hoston - Atlanta - whatever, all the same to me (and most outsiders).

Case closed.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:34 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Case not closed.
Because there are many outsiders who say different from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City