Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,344 times

Advertisements

i cannot think of a single category in which chicago favorably compares to new york except perhaps cost of living. new york is in a class of its own in the us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 09:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
NYC is it's own animal and to me in the US Chicago is it's own animal in the Midwest. On similarities yes Milwaukee probably does but the scale differential is large. As is the scale differential in the NYC/Philly comparison. To me for Chicago (a great city IMHO) only the skyline has similarity to NYC - I do agree that philly probably on feel at the street level has the closest similarity but again on a scale much smaller. With these comparisons it depends on the metric

Examples of comparability (relative because NYC is a scale of its own but the closest)

Skyline: Chicago
Vibrancy/Street Level: Philly
COL: DC/SF/Boston
Regionality: Philly
Pace: Philly/DC/Boston
Media: LA
etc.

So I think the point may be that NYC is an animal to its own but no one city even warrants compare on most categories so there are aspects many cities can call similarities but none come close on multiple categories nor on size (I grew up in philly and to me in so many ways from a child NYC just made Philly seem so small, Chicago although bigger than Philly doesnt give me that wow this place is so much bigger feel sans maybe the skyline but now how it feels to be there) I honestly never realized that Philly is truly one of the largest cities in US until latter in life and traveling more but knowing NYC/Philly in my youth BYC just dwarfed Philly

Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 PM

45 posts, read 118,504 times
Milwaukee, a city of only 500,000 plus due to white flight and other factors, still holds its own and is definately changed in level of vibrancy in last two years. But in no way is it a global city like Chicago. So I think its apples and oranges with NY/ Chi.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:41 AM

591 posts, read 781,623 times
by population yes but Chicago is different. it is a lot more historic and can relate to new york having big construction and population booms. also, one thing compared is the skylines.
Milwaukee highrises:127
Chicago highrises: 1152
New York highrises:5892

Chicago has 10 x the # of highrises as Milwaukee
New York has only 5 x the # of highrises as Chicago

Old 06-11-2014, 03:26 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
FACT is, NYC AND Chicago are world class cities, and BOTH have big culture in them. Maybe it isn't a place of Pop reference and perhaps it's not as touristy as LA and NYC, but Chicago IS a world class city, and is just about as big as NYC. Obviously, many things about NY are different, like the population is nearly triple Chicago's but still, they have damn near the same history and backgrounds.

And no, Milwaukee to Chicago is obviously a ridiculous thing to compare. You might as well compare Fresno CA to LA.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
FACT is, NYC AND Chicago are world class cities, and BOTH have big culture in them. Maybe it isn't a place of Pop reference and perhaps it's not as touristy as LA and NYC, but Chicago IS a world class city, and is just about as big as NYC. Obviously, many things about NY are different, like the population is nearly triple Chicago's but still, they have damn near the same history and backgrounds.

And no, Milwaukee to Chicago is obviously a ridiculous thing to compare. You might as well compare Fresno CA to LA.
This is the most confused spiel I've read on here in some time, and that's saying something.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,825 times
I was born a d raised in Chicago and have been to Milwaukee...I can't believe you can mention them in the same breathe. Milwaukee was literally an ghost town at 8pm on a Saturday night lol st Louis feels triple the size of milwaukee.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:13 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,609 times
Huh, a Chicagoan talking crap about Wisconsin, this will be international news!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times
No.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:42 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,825 times
Well I moved to Austin in part because I didn't like Chicago among a zillion other things but seriously you can't really believe Milwaukee and Chicago are even remotely comparable beyond that they are located on the lake and somewhat close to each other and located in the Midwest. That's about where you can cut the similarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City