Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Milwaukee 50 29.76%
Pittsburgh 100 59.52%
Neither 18 10.71%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Well, in that case, I guess NYC and Milwaukee are similar, as both have German, Eastern European and African culture.

I don't think.

Pittsburgh Demographics (Allegheny County)

20% German
15% Italian
13% Irish
7.5% Polish
5.1% English

Cincinnati Demographics (Hamilton County)

41% German
23% Irish
9.1% English
5.3% American
3.2% Italian

Large white and black populations; very few hispanics and Asians.

Culture

http://faculty.smu.edu/RKEMPER/anth_...al_Regions.jpg

Appalachia Region

Appalachia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cincinnati is just barely outside of the Appalachia region.

Almost no other region is that close. In addition, Cincinnati still has the largest and most visible population of Urban Appalachians.

Structure

Pittsburgh--Core is composed mainly of connected row housing along narrow, chaotic street layout; outside of core is mix of Georgian Revival mansions, tutors, Victorians and disconnected row houses

Cincinnati--Core is primarily composed of disconnected townhouses; characteristic of wider streets; with more Victorians outside of core

But certainly the cities have architectural/structural similarities; just as Pittsburgh shows similarities to Philadelphia and Baltimore.

I definitely disagree, in terms of the core. Italianate townhomes, primarily connected, yes. In addition, both cities are very hilly, with all of the results of that (a less strict grid).

Development

Pittsburgh
-- Had its own university and press before Cincinnati was founded as a fort town; developed slowly in glass and steel production from 1797 onwards. Exploded in population at the turn of the 20th century.

Cincinnati-- Exploded in population in the 1820s as America's first boomtown; tapering off around the turn of the 20th century.

Economy

Pittsburgh
-- Obviously historically based on coal and steel, which collapsed in the 1980s. Pittsburgh is now economically focused on education, health care, banking and technology.

Cincinnati-- I have no idea, fill in the blanks.

Originally founded on river trade.
Proctor & Gamble, Kroger, Fifth third Bank, Macy's, GE Aviation, Great American Insurance Company, Educational institutions like Xavier U and the University of Cincinnati
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:55 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
I don't know what "most visible Urban Appalachians" means.

As for Cincinnati's Italianates...they are essentially restricted to one neighborhood. The rest of the core of the city has mostly been decimated. But neighborhoods like Queensgate, West End, and Lower Price Hill were filled with separated townhouses...like this:

Old 09-26-2009, 09:41 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,500 times
Quote:

As for Cincinnati's Italianates...they are essentially restricted to one neighborhood. The rest of the core of the city has mostly been decimated. But neighborhoods like Queensgate, West End, and Lower Price Hill were filled with separated townhouses...like this:

Urban Appalachians are Appalachians who left the hollers for the big city. The person you responded to is right, I think. Most of them either moved to Cincinnati or Detroit in the early 20th century. Of course, those two cities have the most who actually left Appalachia. Pittsburgh probably has quite a few of them, too.

I can't pick between Pittsburgh and Milwaukee because I still have never been to Milwaukee. I suspect it's underrated, though.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Oh do you mean like these? (Prospect Hill and Auburn)

Link for pictures is busted. However you can check the urbanohio site. There are both detached and attached in many neighborhoods of Cincinnati. How do I know? I've been there. Have you?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Oh do you mean like these? (Prospect Hill and Auburn)

Link for pictures is busted. However you can check the urbanohio site. There are both detached and attached in many neighborhoods of Cincinnati. How do I know? I've been there. Have you?

Yes, I've been there. Talked with many natives as well (they seem to agree with me that Cincy is not a row house city). The bottom line is that Cincinnati doesn't even have a single attached row house neighborhood. Prospect Hill and Mt. Auburn are not exactly noted for their connected row houses. The only case you can make is for Mt. Adams.

Pittsburgh held 1/3 of its population in the attached row housing neighborhoods at its peak. So just accept it they're different...the Cincinnati core was built on the townhouse; the Pittsburgh core was all row housing. The traditional Pittsburgh row housing neighborhoods are like twice as big as the entire core of Cincinnati. Pictures for you to come...

Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Default Pittsburgh Rowhouses

These pictures are representative of their respective neighborhoods. I don't feel these pictures are off topic considering that the subject is Pittsburgh vs. Milwaukee. EDIT: Forgot about South Oakland...oh, you get the point.

Central North Side

Manchester

Allegheny West

Germantown

South Side Flats

Uptown

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2428/1001913ex6.jpg (broken link)

Lawrenceville

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7971/pb040012yh2.jpg (broken link)

Bloomfield

Hill District (only remnants remain...like Cincy's West End)

Even our non-rowhousing neighborhoods offer plenty. Like Shadyside, Highland Park, West Oakland and Hazelwood

Even Suburbs like Millvale, Braddock, Sharpsville and Etna have plenty

Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
Default Pittsburgh vs. Milwaukee

Both cities talk about how urban and dense the city is from street level, so in your opinion, which one of them is more of a cool place to live? Or do you think they are just bluff and you don't want to live in either of them?

Last edited by fashionguy; 11-11-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,520 times
this is really tough for me, but i choose Milwaukee cause of the proximity to Chicago and that i hear alone it is a really cool city. Pitt is cool too, but has nothing really near it. If other cities were closer to Pitt then I would have picked it

Old 11-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Milwaukee has a lot going for it that people don't realize. A unique burg with various ethnic groups, beautiful lakefront setting, history, distinctive architecture, grit, a decent economy....close to one of America's megacities.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:10 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Both cities like to talk how urban and dense the city is from street level, so in your opinion, which one of them is more of a cool place to live? Or do you think they are just bluff and you don't want to live in either of them?
You've already stated on another thread that you wouldn't like to live in Milwaukee - but I then you said you did on another thread. Also, you appear to be from Minneapolis, so I'm just curious if this is just a way for you to bash Milwaukee? Call me cynical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City