Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Milwaukee 50 29.76%
Pittsburgh 100 59.52%
Neither 18 10.71%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:57 AM

331 posts, read 672,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Nothing - we're good.
I sense that sounded "Fargo-ish" coming out of your mouth.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
I sense that sounded "Fargo-ish" coming out of your mouth.....
Yeah, der hey. Yous guys in Pittsburgh take it easy now.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:07 AM

938 posts, read 2,897,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Philly is further from WV than Pittsburgh is and not isolated. WV a red state, meaning it is dominated by the backwards, narrow-minded, and racially intolerant.
I rather enjoy the irony when those that proclaim to be against prejudices proceed to attempt to make a point by stereotyping an entire region based upon their own bizarre prejudices.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:33 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
I rather enjoy the irony when those that proclaim to be against prejudices proceed to attempt to make a point by stereotyping an entire region based upon their own bizarre prejudices.
Rep for you, for speaking the truth.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:01 PM

294 posts, read 659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Chicago is all Milwaukee needs. It is to Chicago, what Philly is to NY because of the proximity. Pittsburgh doesn't benefit in proximity to any major city (Cleveland, Buffalo, State College, Harrisburg,...don't count. Toronto? Get real. These cities are to Pittsburgh what Madison is to Milwaukee.

Philly is further from WV than Pittsburgh is and not isolated. WV a red state, meaning it is dominated by the backwards, narrow-minded, and racially intolerant. The influx from the pool doesn't help Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is so far away from Philly, DC, NY, and Boston, that it borders on being a midwestern city. It's not considered one because it's not in the midwest. In other words, isolated. The city doesn't even have an NBA team. It feels like a provincial, insular place imo, confined by its topography.

Being 300 miles from Philly, it might as well be 3000 going over, around, and through the mountains in PA to get there.
So basically, what you are saying is that Milwaukee is not much to sniff at without Chicago being nearby. I have never heard people pimp another city as a reason to live in their city as Milwaukee people. If people wanted Chicago well then they would move to Chicago then, wouldn't they?

But if we are going by the what is nearby route, then DC Baltimore and Cleveland are all within a 3 hour drive. Even closer than Philly. You can day trip at these cities or go for weekend trips if you really wanted to.

Saying that West Virginia being nearby as a negative? Laughable really. Its similar to Denver having the rockies nearby, a couple hour drive to beautiful scenery, great skiing, awesome white water rafting, ect. WV gets a bad rap, but it's no different that many southern states in its social makeup, plus hardly anyone lives there anyway. I guess Atlanta sucks because it's isolated in the middle of the neocon, backwards, banjo playin south right?

Speaking of provincial, your comments make it sound like you've never left Milwaukee or the Midwest.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM

196 posts, read 457,906 times
Pittsburgh

Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
I'd say WV would be a strong positive.

Someone also said it was a red state? Usually they vote blue...unsure about the last political election....but traditionally, they are more 'working class' blue than anything else.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd say WV would be a strong positive.

Someone also said it was a red state? Usually they vote blue...unsure about the last political election....but traditionally, they are more 'working class' blue than anything else.
The most recent pattern has been blue for local and red for presidential. Though I think WV may shift toward red as the influence of unions wane, and that's about the last element keeping WV part of the Democrat coalition. When Robert Byrd finally croaks, I'd bet on him being replaced with a Republican.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:40 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Milwaukee is a much larger city by population, it's population is similar to Boston, DC, Baltimore, Seattle, Denver, Las Vegas, and El Paso.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:42 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
However, I personally like Pittsburgh more. Been to Milwaukee, and it isn't for me, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City