Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:16 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Now this is getting into a whole other conversation (which I could argue about with you for days), but this isn't about that. It's about the relation between Dallas and Houston.
Like I said, YMMV, no arguments here. I do agree that H-Town has a heavier Cajun influence than Dallas though. Actually, instead of "southern," I sort of meant "country." I think Dallas and Houston are a bit less "country" than those other cities I mentioned.

Quote:
Kdogg, I never said you're going to see mustangs and lassos all over the place in DFW, but that stuff is a lot easier to find up there than down in Houston which has a heavy Cajun influence.

I mean, c'mon. At the State Fair you have a gigantic cowboy named BIG TEX as one of the main attractions. lol
And the Mustangs of Las Colinas. I couldn't picture something like that in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Houston is more worldly and gritty, Dallas is more cosmopolitan and refined.
cosmopolitan

cos·mo·pol·i·tan [ kòzmə póllit'n ]

adjective
Definition: 1. made up of diverse peoples: composed of or containing people from different countries and cultures

2. showing cultural diversity: showing the influence of many countries and cultures
the city's cosmopolitan atmosphere

3. international in scope: having worldwide relevance or scope
events of national and cosmopolitan importance

4. knowledgeable and refined: showing a breadth of knowledge and refinement from having traveled widely
his wide-ranging and cosmopolitan interests

5. ecology occurring worldwide: describes plants or animals growing or occurring in many different parts of the world

I think by definition, cosmopolitan describes Houston more so, Dallas is more refined but that was just one bullet out of 5.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Dallas is country, but the DFW area as whole feels stereotypically Texas. Houston does have the Livestock and Rodeo which is the biggest of its kind, which gives it that Texas feel but Dallas just has the Texas vibe about it.

Also, Dallas is just too close to Oklahoma for my taste (this is a joke so no one get their panties in a wad).

Old 09-29-2009, 01:12 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
cosmopolitan

cos·mo·pol·i·tan [ kòzm? póllit'n ]

adjective
Definition: 1. made up of diverse peoples: composed of or containing people from different countries and cultures

2. showing cultural diversity: showing the influence of many countries and cultures
the city's cosmopolitan atmosphere

3. international in scope: having worldwide relevance or scope
events of national and cosmopolitan importance

4. knowledgeable and refined: showing a breadth of knowledge and refinement from having traveled widely
his wide-ranging and cosmopolitan interests

5. ecology occurring worldwide: describes plants or animals growing or occurring in many different parts of the world

I think by definition, cosmopolitan describes Houston more so, Dallas is more refined but that was just one bullet out of 5.
Houston has plants or animals growing or occurring in many different parts of the world? Lol, sorry. I just couldn't resist.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Well first off, there is really no such thing as a city feeling too "Texas". The media has stereotyped and publicized Texas as something it's not. Texas is not about cowboys, rodeos, cows, horses, boots, dust,etc

Texas has always had strong relations with slavery, spanish, and more. Dallas pushes the "stereotyped" Texas more than Houston, but it doesn't feel more country than Houston. Houston definitely feels more southern and laid-back than Dallas. Southern is usually always paired with laid-back.

The most southern you can get in Dallas is South Dallas and around downtown. In Houston you can go North, South, or east. It fades the farther west you go.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well first off, there is really no such thing as a city feeling too "Texas". The media has stereotyped and publicized Texas as something it's not. Texas is not about cowboys, rodeos, cows, horses, boots, dust,etc

Texas has always had strong relations with slavery, spanish, and more. Dallas pushes the "stereotyped" Texas more than Houston, but it doesn't feel more country than Houston. Houston definitely feels more southern and laid-back than Dallas. Southern is usually always paired with laid-back.

The most southern you can get in Dallas is South Dallas and around downtown. In Houston you can go North, South, or east. It fades the farther west you go.
Maybe heading southwest, but heading west on I-10 the southernness doesn't really fade until you're well outside the metro getting closer to San Antonio.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
My favorite part of visiting Houston is going and seeing all those Super Bowl trophies on display.

Oh, oops...

Old 09-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Houston has plants or animals growing or occurring in many different parts of the world? Lol, sorry. I just couldn't resist.

At the zoo and the Botanic Gardens? LOL

Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:

Spot on analysis! Couldnt agree more.

Houston definately feels more southern and is more laid back than Dallas.

Ive always felt like Dallas was almost a crossroads of Southern, Southwestern, and Mid-Western.

Whereas with Houston, there is nothing Southwestern or Mid-Western about it.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Excellent assessment. Dallas does seem to have the more "stereotypical" image that people have in mind of Texas. It's a combination of the South, Southwest and parts of the Western Midwest (the Midwest has lots of sub-regions). Houston seems to have more of a Southeastern influence, particularly Louisiana.

But Texas just isn't that monolithic. Y'all are so darn big!

East and Northeast Houston seem to be the most "country-fied" part of the city to me. Also, Acres Homes (in north Houston) reminds me of my paternal grandmothers neighborhood in Jackson, MS. The southeastern end of Houston closest to the bay reminds me of suburbs in Florida. League City and Clear Lake remind me a LOT of parts of the Tampa Bay area (where I used to live), except the homes are mostly brick rather than stucco in that area.

An old friend of mine lives in Westchase, and she summed it up best as "Houston is Houston, you just can't sum it up that easily"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City