Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
There are at least 5 Dallas vs. Houston thread out now. I feel like its just to the point where people like to argue.
I agree. People definitely like to argue things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I basically agree. The same people arguing over the same things all day everyday is the new trend. Most of threads are over opinionated, biased or simply bashing.
Yes 98% of the threads on CD are very opinionated. I just look at them when I have time to kill.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
There are at least 5 Dallas vs. Houston thread out now. I feel like its just to the point where people like to argue.
WHAT!? Houston is better than Dallas! You saying you want to arm wrestle to prove it!?!?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
WHAT!? Houston is better than Dallas! You saying you want to arm wrestle to prove it!?!?
Haha, you would probably win. Im a long distance runner, not a weight lifter!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Really.....isn't one thread/smackdown sufficient??????

Old 06-26-2010, 06:37 PM

103 posts, read 314,422 times
Default My conclusion on Dallas and Houston...

And to think I stated this whole thread ...I’m sorry, but Dallas just feels more polished than Houston. Even the so called "ghetto's" in Dallas even look cleaner and more planned than Houston's "ghetto's", but Houston has always had more historical black neighborhoods than Dallas or they are more known in Houston than in Dallas (South Dallas, Oak Cliff, Fair Park---which all were previously white), Houston has the 4th Ward (now defunct and gentrification), 5th ward/Frenchtown, 3rd Ward, South Park/Sunnyside. Dallas feels like a suburban and clean city (most parts of it) and Houston is more urban and somewhat suburban (sprawl-like) with a gritty and unzoned look and vibe. But in general both cities are a lot similar in terms of sizes, housing, cost of living and they are both Sunbelt developed cities in the South.

To me Houston has more crappy apartments everywhere (even new ones built by new master planned communities??) and you notice the businesses and not the houses, but when I was in the Dallas area you notice the houses and the business are more in order and neat, not everywhere like Houston. Plus I kind of like the fact that Dallas is segregated "financially" (I’m Black people), both cities are racially diverse (Houston is slightly ahead but not much) so crime and grime is more generalized on side of town in Dallas and unlike Houston where its all integrated and mixed which make Houston appear to look more ugly, un-safe and un-kept. Also, Dallas has a more stereotypical Texan vibe with a East Texan and Oklahoma or Midwestern swing to it , where Houston has a gulf/costal, Louisiana southern accent maybe...I notice in Houston with the black and white communities, their family lineage comes from more of East Texas, Southern Louisiana or South parts of Texas (Hill Country, The Rio Grande Valley) were in Dallas they migrate from other parts of Texas(like the Panhandle, Permian Basin , Central), Oklahoma, Northern Louisiana and even Arkansas. So basically Houston is more southern Lousiana-ish and Dallas is more Tex-Ark-Okla.

Whats so funny about both cities in the black and white communities, that in Houston, the blacks always make fun of how the blacks in Dallas talk act (loud, country, soulful and behind) and the whites in Dallas are always joking how the whites in Houston are brash (Urban Cowboys and trashy) and how Houston is considered the "pits". So basically what I am saying the blacks in Houston are more sophisticated and the whites in Dallas are more refined and polished...I found that funny in a cultural flip flop way.... Far as shopping and fashion, Dallas has that crown and the city will never give that title away to no other major city in Texas,lol. I mean Dallas has always been the fashion capital of South and Midwest (Atlanta too, but just within in the last 20 years) plus Dallas has always been somewhat more polished, pretentious and shallow. Dallas have more upscale stores and premier suburban malls, her in Houston, we have only The Galleria, The Woodlands and Memorial?? (Katy Mills is too huge and boring, First Colony has sparactic crime and Baybrook is old and to far out). But Dallas is not natural like Houston (even in landscape, Dallas is a little more barren in some parts but more hillier and has more character than Houston) Don’t get me wrong Houston is not far behind, but we are grounded or "refinery trash" as some people in Houston has even put it,lol.

To me both cities are not known for their landscape beauty, I mean come on compared to SF, LA, San Diego, Miami, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas and hell even Austin!!!!! Both Dallas and Houston is a drab. But those cities are expensive to live in, so you pay for beauty, where so in Dallas and Houston, it might not being geographically stunning, but its cheap and affordable to live in and jobs in both cities are abundant and are easy to get and thats better than most major cities in the US.

The weather in Houston is annoying and most people cant adjust it. From November to early March its mild, cool, sunny and liviable. But from late March to early November its miserable, humid, soupy, hot and unbearable with flash floods and possible hurricane threats.. Yes, I know that Dallas is hotter and colder (by temps) but Dallas feels cooler in the summer because its not as hot and humid feeling and in the winter you might get snow and ice maybe five times out of the season but it melts quickly and life is breezy and back to normal. Plus I like that Dallas has more traditional seasonal weather, than Houston. I notice in December and January Houston looks a lot like Fall..lol, weird? Yes, Dallas is ugly brown and freezing (like most Northern and Midwestern cities, duh..) in the winter, but Houston in spring and summer is green and lush but full of flying cockroaches, snakes, spiders and rodents that come from the swamps and bayous and creeks. So pick your poison. And I get tired of people talking about how Houston is near the gulf and water and etc...Yes, its fun for water sports and great seafood (well not anymore thanks to BP ) but have you seen the gulf in Galveston? Its dirty, oily and stinky and the beaches are brown not white and sandy with clear bluish-green water like say...South Padre Island or even Corpus.. I think you are better off at a lake or in the Hill Country than in Galveston.

The food scene in both cities is comparable. Houston is more ethic and authentic with Mexican, Chinese, Viet, Thai, seafood, Cajan and creole. Dallas is more chain, upscale (like they still Furrs, The Sizzlers, Grandys, Carl Jrs, Braum’s!!! which all are closed in Houston) Houston has "Frenchy's" Dallas has "Williams Chicken" pick your posion. Soulfood and Barbecue are both comparable (they are Texas cities) in each city.

Far as transportation and roads, Dallas wins. I mean the Dart is one of the most successful light rails in the south along with Atlanta's Marta and the roads in Dallas on a grid and better maintained, cared for and clean. Houston has a better freeway system (even its always under construction and updating plus I-10 West is our new jewel!!!) and Houston's roads are either too wide or too narrow, potholed, cracked, cheaply covered with asphalt and torn. Plus Houston out of The Loop is a mess, no grid system, barely. I like Dallas Toll's better, its newer, plus Dallas is a bit hilly and elevated so it give the area some character unlike board flat Houston. Housing..well Dallas has alleys and most of the garages are detached that show good planing because you are not subject to trash everywhere on your street like in Houston, plus you dont see cars parked everywhere. So Dallas wins again. But Houston is more treesy (nothsides only) and more green, Dallas is kinda a barren with more planted trees, but Dallas's suburbs are more cleaner and well planned, Houston sububs still dont have proper zoning expect Sugar Land (which reminds me of Dallas,lol) The Woodlands, Kingwood and Clear Lake City (all master planned) all do. Katy is country and old looking; only parts of the South Katy area including Cinco Ranch has zoning but its master planned communities as well. Both Pearland's (the new westside on 288 and the old hick town on hwy 35) are too close the Houston's ghetto south and souteast sides. Crime is on the rise. People and such..both cities are still built on that behind the close door "good ol'e boy" mentality, both cities are predominately run by business, oil, commerce and real estate. Not always good for a city of purpose and means. People say Dallas is more racist, but Houston is not far behind. Houston gets a away by saying "oh we are a diverse international city" that gets old after awhile. Most "international" people here in Houston dont care about the good ol'e boy ways b/c they are too busy and working hard to make a better life for themselves and their people. Same for Dallas.But most of us black Americans from Texas or Louisiana see it everyday, even northern Blacks too! Both city loves to use Hispanics are at thier hands for construction and cheap labor, but they are more accepted than blacks. Sorry, but i feel that way. Im not saying all white Dallasites or Houstonians are racist, but some still harbors the good ol'e boy mentality. Most of time its behind closed doors. Hell, its still "Texas" at the end of the day.

So, if I had a choice between the two, I would choose Dallas. Its a bit smaller, planned and zoned, more cleaner, better known, better shopping, food and even radio (FM) selections, better weather in my opinion and its more comfortable to live in. Houston is qurkier, relaxed and dirtier. Both cities have somewhat boring nightlife’s, but their music and theater and arts are similar and decent (Houston's is older and ahead, Dallas is catching up and fast) but its better than being in prairie with the population of 0...lol.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:01 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Okay post, but there are some things wrong with it. No grid in Houston outside the Loop? Are you kidding me? Houston is definitely in more of a grid than Dallas. Dallas the fashion capital of the South? Ever heard of Miami. Etc.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Dear goshh, this thread seems like it will never stop haunting the eyes of city data posters! Let's end this thing- we already have one going on in the Texas board!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
And to think I stated this whole thread ...I’m sorry, but Dallas just feels more polished than Houston. Even the so called "ghetto's" in Dallas even look cleaner and more planned than Houston's "ghetto's", but Houston has always had more historical black neighborhoods than Dallas or they are more known in Houston than in Dallas (South Dallas, Oak Cliff, Fair Park---which all were previously white), Houston has the 4th Ward (now defunct and gentrification), 5th ward/Frenchtown, 3rd Ward, South Park/Sunnyside. Dallas feels like a suburban and clean city (most parts of it) and Houston is more urban and somewhat suburban (sprawl-like) with a gritty and unzoned look and vibe. But in general both cities are a lot similar in terms of sizes, housing, cost of living and they are both Sunbelt developed cities in the South.

To me Houston has more crappy apartments everywhere (even new ones built by new master planned communities??) and you notice the businesses and not the houses, but when I was in the Dallas area you notice the houses and the business are more in order and neat, not everywhere like Houston. Plus I kind of like the fact that Dallas is segregated "financially" (I’m Black people), both cities are racially diverse (Houston is slightly ahead but not much) so crime and grime is more generalized on side of town in Dallas and unlike Houston where its all integrated and mixed which make Houston appear to look more ugly, un-safe and un-kept. Also, Dallas has a more stereotypical Texan vibe with a East Texan and Oklahoma or Midwestern swing to it , where Houston has a gulf/costal, Louisiana southern accent maybe...I notice in Houston with the black and white communities, their family lineage comes from more of East Texas, Southern Louisiana or South parts of Texas (Hill Country, The Rio Grande Valley) were in Dallas they migrate from other parts of Texas(like the Panhandle, Permian Basin , Central), Oklahoma, Northern Louisiana and even Arkansas. So basically Houston is more southern Lousiana-ish and Dallas is more Tex-Ark-Okla.

Whats so funny about both cities in the black and white communities, that in Houston, the blacks always make fun of how the blacks in Dallas talk act (loud, country, soulful and behind) and the whites in Dallas are always joking how the whites in Houston are brash (Urban Cowboys and trashy) and how Houston is considered the "pits". So basically what I am saying the blacks in Houston are more sophisticated and the whites in Dallas are more refined and polished...I found that funny in a cultural flip flop way.... Far as shopping and fashion, Dallas has that crown and the city will never give that title away to no other major city in Texas,lol. I mean Dallas has always been the fashion capital of South and Midwest (Atlanta too, but just within in the last 20 years) plus Dallas has always been somewhat more polished, pretentious and shallow. Dallas have more upscale stores and premier suburban malls, her in Houston, we have only The Galleria, The Woodlands and Memorial?? (Katy Mills is too huge and boring, First Colony has sparactic crime and Baybrook is old and to far out). But Dallas is not natural like Houston (even in landscape, Dallas is a little more barren in some parts but more hillier and has more character than Houston) Don’t get me wrong Houston is not far behind, but we are grounded or "refinery trash" as some people in Houston has even put it,lol.

To me both cities are not known for their landscape beauty, I mean come on compared to SF, LA, San Diego, Miami, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas and hell even Austin!!!!! Both Dallas and Houston is a drab. But those cities are expensive to live in, so you pay for beauty, where so in Dallas and Houston, it might not being geographically stunning, but its cheap and affordable to live in and jobs in both cities are abundant and are easy to get and thats better than most major cities in the US.

The weather in Houston is annoying and most people cant adjust it. From November to early March its mild, cool, sunny and liviable. But from late March to early November its miserable, humid, soupy, hot and unbearable with flash floods and possible hurricane threats.. Yes, I know that Dallas is hotter and colder (by temps) but Dallas feels cooler in the summer because its not as hot and humid feeling and in the winter you might get snow and ice maybe five times out of the season but it melts quickly and life is breezy and back to normal. Plus I like that Dallas has more traditional seasonal weather, than Houston. I notice in December and January Houston looks a lot like Fall..lol, weird? Yes, Dallas is ugly brown and freezing (like most Northern and Midwestern cities, duh..) in the winter, but Houston in spring and summer is green and lush but full of flying cockroaches, snakes, spiders and rodents that come from the swamps and bayous and creeks. So pick your poison. And I get tired of people talking about how Houston is near the gulf and water and etc...Yes, its fun for water sports and great seafood (well not anymore thanks to BP ) but have you seen the gulf in Galveston? Its dirty, oily and stinky and the beaches are brown not white and sandy with clear bluish-green water like say...South Padre Island or even Corpus.. I think you are better off at a lake or in the Hill Country than in Galveston.

The food scene in both cities is comparable. Houston is more ethic and authentic with Mexican, Chinese, Viet, Thai, seafood, Cajan and creole. Dallas is more chain, upscale (like they still Furrs, The Sizzlers, Grandys, Carl Jrs, Braum’s!!! which all are closed in Houston) Houston has "Frenchy's" Dallas has "Williams Chicken" pick your posion. Soulfood and Barbecue are both comparable (they are Texas cities) in each city.

Far as transportation and roads, Dallas wins. I mean the Dart is one of the most successful light rails in the south along with Atlanta's Marta and the roads in Dallas on a grid and better maintained, cared for and clean. Houston has a better freeway system (even its always under construction and updating plus I-10 West is our new jewel!!!) and Houston's roads are either too wide or too narrow, potholed, cracked, cheaply covered with asphalt and torn. Plus Houston out of The Loop is a mess, no grid system, barely. I like Dallas Toll's better, its newer, plus Dallas is a bit hilly and elevated so it give the area some character unlike board flat Houston. Housing..well Dallas has alleys and most of the garages are detached that show good planing because you are not subject to trash everywhere on your street like in Houston, plus you dont see cars parked everywhere. So Dallas wins again. But Houston is more treesy (nothsides only) and more green, Dallas is kinda a barren with more planted trees, but Dallas's suburbs are more cleaner and well planned, Houston sububs still dont have proper zoning expect Sugar Land (which reminds me of Dallas,lol) The Woodlands, Kingwood and Clear Lake City (all master planned) all do. Katy is country and old looking; only parts of the South Katy area including Cinco Ranch has zoning but its master planned communities as well. Both Pearland's (the new westside on 288 and the old hick town on hwy 35) are too close the Houston's ghetto south and souteast sides. Crime is on the rise. People and such..both cities are still built on that behind the close door "good ol'e boy" mentality, both cities are predominately run by business, oil, commerce and real estate. Not always good for a city of purpose and means. People say Dallas is more racist, but Houston is not far behind. Houston gets a away by saying "oh we are a diverse international city" that gets old after awhile. Most "international" people here in Houston dont care about the good ol'e boy ways b/c they are too busy and working hard to make a better life for themselves and their people. Same for Dallas.But most of us black Americans from Texas or Louisiana see it everyday, even northern Blacks too! Both city loves to use Hispanics are at thier hands for construction and cheap labor, but they are more accepted than blacks. Sorry, but i feel that way. Im not saying all white Dallasites or Houstonians are racist, but some still harbors the good ol'e boy mentality. Most of time its behind closed doors. Hell, its still "Texas" at the end of the day.

So, if I had a choice between the two, I would choose Dallas. Its a bit smaller, planned and zoned, more cleaner, better known, better shopping, food and even radio (FM) selections, better weather in my opinion and its more comfortable to live in. Houston is qurkier, relaxed and dirtier. Both cities have somewhat boring nightlife’s, but their music and theater and arts are similar and decent (Houston's is older and ahead, Dallas is catching up and fast) but its better than being in prairie with the population of 0...lol.

Well spoken my friend

Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 AM

103 posts, read 314,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Okay post, but there are some things wrong with it. No grid in Houston outside the Loop? Are you kidding me? Houston is definitely in more of a grid than Dallas. Dallas the fashion capital of the South? Ever heard of Miami. Etc.

Yeah Miami is probably behind Dallas, but its more "South Beach" and "Palm Beach" that helps get Miami known in fashion. But Atlanta is becoming hot these days, with urban fashion and music.. Miami is more east coast, international fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City