Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times

Advertisements

I don't know how so many people call NJ a trashy, crime-ridden, gloomy state and act as if they're superior to little ole underrated NJ.
Isn't that oxymoron? Meaning the typical, most likely low-class people trash talking a state with little to no knowledge of what the whole state even holds.

With it's 5 miles of refineries out of its 8,722 square miles total, I can totally see why it's such a terrible dirty state , I mean it's 700 square miles of protected forest isn't enough to make up for it's 5 mile stretch of refineries on the turnpike, and don't even think it's 200 mile stretch of the beautiful shoreline will set me far away enough from that infamous wasteland of refineries... and everyone knows that the refineries are purposely put there to look ugly so that NYC can look even better so that everyone can poke fun at NJ... (sarcasm if you haven't noticed)
"Well NJ's cities are horrendous"... Newark, Camden, and Trenton; The state still ranks 18th place out of 50 on the list of America's safest and most dangerous cities one spot ahead of Oregon, and way ahead of Florida.. And what about Brick, NJ? Anyone heard of it? It was America's safest city a couple years back, and it also had Toms River, NJ on the tops list as well... But I know.. NJ looks small on a map and to many people, it looks as if your surrounded by danger

New Jersey is among one of the most educated states and wealthiest states... I just can't figure out why a lot of people call people in NJ dumb or trashy when NJ proves it all wrong making it kind of funny for the NJ residents to see the hypocritical oxymoron's poke fun out of pure ignorance.

At least when people complain about NJ and their government and taxes it makes sense... But to all the people who fall for the negative NJ stereotypes and trash talk the state with false backup... Can I call you Jersey?

Last edited by BPerone201; 10-01-2009 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I don't know how so many people call NJ a trashy, crime-ridden, gloomy state and act as if they're superior to little ole underrated NJ.
Isn't that oxymoron? Meaning the typical, most likely low-class people trash talking a state with little to no knowledge of what the whole state even holds.

With it's 5 miles of refineries out of its 8,722 square miles total, I can totally see why it's such a terrible dirty state , I mean it's 700 square miles of protected forest isn't enough to make up for it's 5 mile stretch of refineries on the turnpike, and don't even think it's 200 mile stretch of the beautiful shoreline will set me far away enough from that infamous wasteland of refineries... and everyone knows that the refineries are purposely put there to look ugly so that NYC can look even better so that everyone can poke fun at NJ... (sarcasm if you haven't noticed)
"Well NJ's cities are horrendous"... Newark, Camden, and Trenton; The state still ranks 18th place out of 50 on the list of America's safest and most dangerous cities one spot ahead of Oregon, and way ahead of Florida.. And what about Brick, NJ? Anyone heard of it? It was America's safest city a couple years back, and it also had Toms River, NJ on the tops list as well... But I know.. NJ looks small on a map and to many people, it looks as if your surrounded by danger

New Jersey is among one of the most educated states and wealthiest states... I just can't figure out why a lot of people call people in NJ dumb or trashy when NJ proves it all wrong making it kind of funny for the NJ residents to see the hypocritical oxymoron's poke fun out of pure ignorance.

At least when people complain about NJ and their government and taxes it makes sense... But to all the people who fall for the negative NJ stereotypes and trash talk the state with false backup... Can I call you Jersey?
Some people just can't get past the stereotypes. Sopranos, and the Mafia give Jersey the stigma it has today. Just stereotypes. Sometimes it just isn't fair. Good post, good post.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
since she and her husband are both teachers. I can tell you about FLORIDA teacher salaries. Want to compare?

We BOTH work in education in these states. My daughter makes as a 3rd teacher what FLORIDA teachers make after at least 10 years. I make less in Florida than I did 5 years ago in NY. Before you start about cost of living, she and her huband paid $275,000 for a 4 bedroom home in in NY last June. I PAID $285,000 for a TWO bedroom home in Florida 2 years ago. This was considered a BARGAIN in Naples. In comparison to what we owned on LI, it is a SHACK.

Tell me now how the cost of living is less in Florida.
I wouldn't expect you to understand that median or average numbers take into account all in that group not just you and your daughter.

Go research what a median or average is, then go back and reread my post and see if you can understand it better.

Also, it is helpful if you quote the post you are responding to rather than any other random post of mine that has nothing to do with what you are saying.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 PM

155 posts, read 158,618 times
What's the difference nowadays, good grief... I live in one (FL) and constantly feel like I'm in another (NJ).

Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design&Build View Post
What's the difference nowadays, good grief... I live in one (FL) and constantly feel like I'm in another (NJ).
Lol.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:28 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,857 times
As an outsider who never been in any of them I'd pick up NJ , just because the lack of snow or hills is a real minus for FL , in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:45 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
NJ hands down.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:44 PM

110 posts, read 101,422 times
The only city in Florida that I would ever live in is Miami. The rest of the state doesn’t interest me. Therefore, I will go with NJ because it gives access to Philly and NYC, which is the best city in the world. Also, don’t forget about the beaches and Atlantic City!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 05:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Nope. If I was given a million dollars to live in Florida, I would turn it down. There are some things that money cannot buy in Florida.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:25 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Nope. If I was given a million dollars to live in Florida, I would turn it down. There are some things that money cannot buy in Florida.
Yet, you moved to Florida without being "given a million dollars". Was it kidnapping or are you in the witness protection program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City