Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Why do people keep saying this?
NJ gained population from 2000 to 2009. Growth was on par with most North Eastern states (in/out migration, immigrants, birth rates, whatever).

2000: 8,414,350
2008 (estimate): 8,682,660

How many more people can you squeeze into one of the most populated, geographically small states in the nation?
So did FL.

2000: 15,982,378
2008 (estimate): 18,328,340

btw NJ has plenty of unused land that can be developed on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Florida LOST population last year. There have been numerous articles from all sources on this. The first year since World War 2 since it has. I guess us boomers aren't retiring to Florida anymore.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I had one job, and was offered 3 when I moved here. When you work with developmentally disabled children and adults, you can get a job anywhere. They are in every state in the nation.

It was my husband who has OLD technology and could find not a job in the NE, but I guess Florida still has old tech.
Yes, at least in your area of FL. Your living in an area full of retirees, its like a retirement dream land over there full of old ppl, i wouldnt be surprised if theyre still using old technology. Most of Fl is very progressive technology wise. We have NASA, Lockeed Martin, a medical city on the way, and high tech tourist attractions.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
So did FL.

2000: 15,982,378
2008 (estimate): 18,328,340

btw NJ has plenty of unused land that can be developed on
I never said it was shrinking. Take that issue up with the original poster.
My god man................... NJ is dense enough.
Leave the undisturbed land alone.
If there is going to be a significant jump in pop; it will be redeveloping our cities, not "land".

Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Florida LOST population last year. There have been numerous articles from all sources on this. The first year since World War 2 since it has. I guess us boomers aren't retiring to Florida anymore.
yea DUH, cause the recession. Thats why i said when the recession picks up, Fl will start growing again

Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I never said it was shrinking. Take that issue up with the original poster.
My god man................... NJ is dense enough.
Leave the undisturbed land alone.
If there is going to be a significant jump in pop; it will be redeveloping our cities, not "land".
chill out man. The land isnt the point. you made it seem like there wasnt enough room for NJ's population to grow, but you just proved my point by saying they can re develope their cities if there really is ever demand for more room for population growth. Doesnt really matter how they make room for it, by developing more land or by re developing the already used land. the point is, it still has room to grow. It just hasnt been growing that dramatically

Old 09-30-2009, 05:57 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Why can't they find jobs now?

I thought NYC metro was the mecca for high quality of life, jobs included

Surely a high level position can be found in Jersey

People can't find jobs ALL OVER. But yet people are still moving to NYC in droves

Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
People can't find jobs ALL OVER. But yet people are still moving to NYC in droves
Not really. Migration rates has dropped everywhere dramatically due to the real estate market. most of th ppl moving right now are doing it mainly because, foreclosure, to prevent foreclosure, or to return back to their home states because job cuts (like in fl)

Old 09-30-2009, 06:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,554 times
Quote:
52% LEAVING versus 48% MOVING IN. In fact if you look up the stats, this is the first year since WW2 that more people moved OUT of Florida, than in.

Fact remains, I would rather live in NJ (native New Yorker) than in Florida. My husband and I make over 6 figures, own 2 places in Florida, and I would rather be in Section 8 housing and on food stamps in NY, than what we now have in Florida.

MONEY isn't everything. I am 60 and I would rather be DEAD than spend my remaining years in life in this state a thousand miles away from my kids and in this miserable weather for the rest of my life.

Again, it seems by stats more and more people MY AGE are agreeing with me.
Fewer Americans move out of state - USATODAY.com

Florida: 52% out, 48% in.

NJ: 60% out, 40% in.

New Jersey is losing a greater percentage of people than Florida is. So bashing Florida for that when comparing it to a state that is even worse makes little sense.

As for people your age agreeing with you....good. It's about time Florida starts attracting younger people so we can build a solid economy and a solid educational system without a horde of seniors who winter here voting down any funding for education or other important services.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Go take a look at the NYC forum of people posting threads saying they're up and moving to NYC with less than $1000 on them. A lot of people don't care about the bad economy and are still coming.
You will find the same on any forum. including FL's. except its smart people (usually families) who have money and jobs for the most part waiting for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City