Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
(People from NJ are NY rejects)
You are confused, people in Florida are usually NY and NJ rejects (at least the ones that choose to live there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You are confused, people in Florida are usually NY and NJ rejects (at least the ones that choose to live there).

I'm not confused. Actually the ones move to Florida are the one's who are smart and leaving places where its stagnant growth and freezes in the winter.

BTW, Why don't you move to Florida or Texas?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
BTW, Why don't you move to Florida or Texas?
I like good jobs, high wages, and lots of culture.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
I like good jobs, high wages, and lots of culture.

Interesting....If you like good jobs I know you'll like Houston esp in this economy as well as high wages..

Miami has good culture.

Question..Why does a city with 1.4 million resident have nearly a 25% poverty rate if the wages so high?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:

where-to-find-the-fattest-paychecks.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107793/where-to-find-the-fattest-paychecks.html?mod=career-salary_negotiation - broken link)
So all the rich bankers in NYC move to the NJ suburbs. Congrats, I guess.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
That seems to be common when talking about New Jersey. People like to bash it by bringing up its worst ghetto cities while ignoring the rest of the state.

New Jersey is one of the best states in my book. It has great historic towns that are pedestrian friendly, nice beaches, mountains, a state-wide transit system, and proximity to Philly and New York. The downfall is the cost of living and high taxes.

Florida does not do much for me, at least as a place to live. Too much sprawl, unremarkable cities, flat lands, and summers that are way too hot. Miami Beach, the Keys, and St. Augustine are really cool places though, and it's a nice place for a beach vacation in the winter if you're looking to get a break from the cold.
5Lakes hits it on the head. Honestly, nobody in NJ GOES to the ghetto inner cities. They just don't, because there is nothing there. Those ghetto inner cities are only for housing the poor people that live there, honestly. calling NJ a dump because of 5 or 6 small, ghetto cities, is the epitome of ignorant. There is over 8,000 square miles in NJ, most of it is gorgeous. A lot of people only pass through the bad parts, because they are near major roadways.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Do what you want. I've got an opinion and you got one. It isn't that serious. By the way I'm not from Houston but I stay here b/c of the job market just like many transplants from NJ.....
Opinions aside ... judging a state by a few square miles (Camden), just like judging a state by a few square miles (ghetto of Houston) is ignorant, uninformed, and a completely skewed evaluation. Makes no sense whatever.

A question -- have you been elsewhere in NJ?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
This doesn't change my mind. In fact, I'd still rather live in Florida.

Reasons:
1) It has nice weather all year
2) Close to the Carribbean
3) Has it own idenity (People from NJ are NY rejects)
4) Beaches are much better!!

These are my reasons!!!
Jlock, the statement you made in bold is very untrue. What makes you think that?

Many NJians are natives to the state. There are a lot of NY people that eventually settle down into the NJ suburbs, but that is because NJ is the suburbs of NYC, lol. Just like people from Houston might settle down 10 miles outside of Houston, in the suburbs there. It just so happens that NYC borders multiple states, so I understand why that is hard for you to understand the NYC/NJ relationship.

But even understanding that a lot of NYC people settle in NJ ... what makes them "NY rejects", as you put it? There is nothing "reject" about desiring to move to the suburbs. Please explain...

Old 10-01-2009, 03:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Let my daugther tell you about NY teacher salaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
There has been one report they have all been using data from.
The same report that overstated the population gain by 500,000 the year before.
Not very reliable.
since she and her husband are both teachers. I can tell you about FLORIDA teacher salaries. Want to compare?

We BOTH work in education in these states. My daughter makes as a 3rd teacher what FLORIDA teachers make after at least 10 years. I make less in Florida than I did 5 years ago in NY. Before you start about cost of living, she and her huband paid $275,000 for a 4 bedroom home in in NY last June. I PAID $285,000 for a TWO bedroom home in Florida 2 years ago. This was considered a BARGAIN in Naples. In comparison to what we owned on LI, it is a SHACK.

Tell me now how the cost of living is less in Florida.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
since she and her husband are both teachers. I can tell you about FLORIDA teacher salaries. Want to compare?

We BOTH work in education in these states. My daughter makes as a 3rd teacher what FLORIDA teachers make after at least 10 years. I make less in Florida than I did 5 years ago in NY. Before you start about cost of living, she and her huband paid $275,000 for a 4 bedroom home in in NY last June. I PAID $285,000 for a TWO bedroom home in Florida 2 years ago. This was considered a BARGAIN in Naples. In comparison to what we owned on LI, it is a SHACK.

Tell me now how the cost of living is less in Florida.
What will your two bedroom in Naples sell for TODAY?

There is much more to cost of living measurements than housing prices...living is more than just the shelter over your head. When I lived in Florida briefly, I noticed that produce was CHEAP...and groceries in general were cheap compared to Atlanta. I also found restaurants to be much less expensive as well. And don't forget about the lack of state income tax.

I hated living in Florida, but it's not the far reaches of hell that some people make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City