Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Wait................. Jersey has "blistering" hot summers & Fla does not? Tell what I'm missing here.
LOL, add to that Florida's constant rain, extreme humidity, thunder, and hurricane threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
New Jersey, hands down. I would rather be in NJ hands down, than living here in Florida.

Given all the people moving OUT of Florida, I think a lot of people agree.
You have GOT to be kidding...I'm no big fan of Florida, but people have been moving there in droves for many years - while New Jersey has been stagnant and/or losing population for many years. If I were supporting New Jersey, I definitely wouldn't bring up any other state's miniscule, one-time population loss.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
I like Florida ONLY for an occasional winter visit.

NJ as a whole is a more cultured state I feel. As somebody mentioned, just look at the school systems. NJ is the most educated state in the US. Education is valued here. Not so much in FL. Add to that the fact that all the culture from NYC and Philly bleed out into NJ, and you have a winner.

Plus, there is nothing like walking around the neighborhood with that early October chill in the air, and the smell of burning fireplaces, and knowing that autumn has arrived.

Aside from the main metropolitan areas - Tampa, Orlando, Miami - 80% of Florida (especially inland Florida) seems really, really trashy to me.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
LOL, add to that Florida's constant rain, extreme humidity, thunder, and hurricane threat.
1. Florida is humid for about half the year. The other half is quite nice.
2. Constant rain? I'm not sure where you get that...it rains for an hour, then it's back to sunshine.
3. Thunder...yeah, the thunder is really bad in Florida.
4. Any coastal area can experience a hurricane - including New Jersey.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You have GOT to be kidding...I'm no big fan of Florida, but people have been moving there in droves for many years - while New Jersey has been stagnant and/or losing population for many years. If I were supporting New Jersey, I definitely wouldn't bring up any other state's population losses.
New Jersey continues to be one of the most densly populated states in the nation.

Census numbers reflect Florida's recession woes -- OrlandoSentinel.com

where-to-find-the-fattest-paychecks.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107793/where-to-find-the-fattest-paychecks.html?mod=career-salary_negotiation - broken link)

Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
New Jersey continues to be one of the most densly populated states in the nation.

where-to-find-the-fattest-paychecks.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107793/where-to-find-the-fattest-paychecks.html?mod=career-salary_negotiation - broken link)
That doesn't change the outmigration statistics...

Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
NJ, for all the reasons cited above. But FL's biggest dealbreaker for me is the rotten weather. FL's tourist attractions are great for tourists, but don't know why anyone would want to live around them.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
Quote:

Thats because NJ is a fraction of FL size and is located next to a HUGE city (NYC). NJ is basically just a piece of land used for NYC's suburban development. Its nothing special. People are moving out of NJ just as much if not more of a rate than they are moving out of FL. Once the economy starts picking up, FL will continue to grow not NJ.

About the graduation rates, yes a lot of school districts in FL aren't that great, but there are plenty of great schools where your kid can get a decent education and move on to college. You can't blame the HS's for kids not moving on to college, that all has to do with the parents. If you push your child to do well in school and are a responsible parent who gives their kid a good work ethic, then any kid can make A's and move on to college. My HS that is in FL had over a 90% percent graduation rate, with most of them going to at least community college if not a university.

And Fl doesn't have extreme heat and humidity and bad storms for HALF the year, its only extreme for about 3-4 months. Its still September and i had to wear a sweater this morning because it was too chilly for me. heres today and tonights forecast:

Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Thats because NJ is a fraction of FL size and is located next to a HUGE city (NYC). NJ is basically just a piece of land used for NYC's suburban development. Its nothing special. People are moving out of NJ just as much if not more of a rate than they are moving out of FL. Once the economy starts picking up, FL will continue to grow not NJ.

About the graduation rates, yes a lot of school districts in FL aren't that great, but there are plenty of great schools where your kid can get a decent education and move on to college. You can't blame the HS's for kids not moving on to college, that all has to do with the parents. If you push your child to do well in school and are a responsible parent who gives their kid a good work ethic, then any kid can make A's and move on to college. My HS that is in FL had over a 90% percent graduation rate, with most of them going to at least community college if not a university.

And Fl doesn't have extreme heat and humidity and bad storms for HALF the year, its only extreme for about 3-4 months. Its still September and i had to wear a sweater this morning because it was too chilly for me. heres today and tonights forecast:

As for education, there are always exceptions to the rule, the facts remain. And until FL gets with it and stops using exceptions and excuses, it is still going to suck. You CAN blame the high schools, the taxpayers and the state gov that fund it, they make decisions, they hire teachers, etc etc. Note FL is also definitely not a blue state locally as is a recent misnomer because of the last *national* election cycle...and they just had huge budget cuts to an already bad education system... The FL House is 77 republicans to 44 democrats. FL education and gov workers are some of the lowest paid in the nation per capita...FL remains a right to work state as well and has a notoriously weak teachers union.
The facts are, FL really doesn't want this, it is continuing to pump money and tax breaks towards retirees and tourism industry.

I'd say it can be too hot and humid for me 8 months out of the year. march 15-nov 15. And you can still get late hurricanes around there as well, lets just use the most recent one for example...the last major hurricane to hit florida was a category 3 when it hit, Wilma, on October 24th, 2005. But yes it is extreme the rest of the time where most areas are having actual enjoyable summers. To each their own I suppose.

Last edited by grapico; 09-30-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'd say it can be too hot and humid for me 8 months out of the year. march 15-nov 15. But yes it is extreme the rest of the time where most areas are having actual enjoyable summers. To each their own I suppose.
I agree:

10 Day Weather Forecast for Orlando, FL (32828) - weather.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City