Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What building to you think is better overall?
Flatiron Building (Atlanta) 34 28.57%
Flatiron Building (New York City) 85 71.43%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:34 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times

Advertisements

Due to the fact I just heard about the flat iron building here and it is 11 stories tall, I choose NY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:35 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
This thread was not designed to make Atlanta look bad. This thread was designed to discuss the similiarities and differences in location, architecture and size, among other attributes. Another poster and myself got into a debate about this in another thread. Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on this topic to see what others thought. This will be my FIRST AND ONLY post in this thread. However, I noticed that you voted for Atlanta. Do you care to share why?
It's easy enough to find your other posts on this forum, even the one where you made derisive comments about Atlanta's Flatiron Bldg. being on a parking lot (a lie). So let's not be disingenuous.
As far as why I like Atlanta's best...what Galounger said. Toodles.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:48 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
ATL's

Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
The New York City Flatiron can not be beat.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM

110 posts, read 101,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Jesus guys, Atlanta is not full of sprawl. Kennesaw, Alpharetta, and the like are suburbs miles from Atlanta that many people associate with Atlanta because it's part of the metro. Complaints about traffic, parking lots, and strip malls are more from suburban commuters who have made their complaints loud and clear. They do not represent the city of Atlanta, however.

The city itself, while not the urban megapolis New York or Chicago is, is a very walkable, urban center with a lot of character and historical neighborhoods. But stereotypes are more fun than facts on these boards I suppose.
Do you realize that the topic of the thread is comparing the Flaitron building in New York City versus the Flatiron building in Atlanta?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
Do you realize that the topic of the thread is comparing the Flaitron building in New York City versus the Flatiron building in Atlanta?
And do you realize someone talked about parking lots and sprawl in Atlanta, and consequently I responded.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Jesus guys, Atlanta is not full of sprawl.

YouTube - Urban Sprawl in Atlanta

Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
After Atlanta built their flatiron, New Yorkers were probably all like, "ooh! We want one!" lol

Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
After Atlanta built their flatiron, New Yorkers were probably all like, "ooh! We want one!" lol
And New York then poroceeded to make a much better flatiron.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
I did not say the metro area, I said Atlanta. Within city limits Atlanta is mostly walkable, urban, and public transpo is actually decent.

If you're taking some cues from an amateur video and using that as evidence as opposed to people who actually live here and can testify their experience, you have already shown a bias that is void of reason:

Several things wrong with that video:

- The map showing the metro does not indicate that 70% of Atlanta's population lives within only 5 counties which surround Atlanta. The rest of the population is shared with 23 counties with about 200k people or less many of whom do all their business in their county, don't even venture to Atlanta, and have no say in Atlanta politics, business, or culture. That's like complaining about sprawl in New York City because Paterson, New Jersey has strip malls and parking lots.

- Just some silly ish was put in there to fill up time. Seriously, you're going to show a video of construction in the middle of the city, a kid playing in a fountain in the middle of downtown, and someone biking in a midtown neighborhood to point out sprawl? What idiot put this together?

- Single-used zoning in Atlanta has what has kept the character of many historical intown neighborhoods to keep down sprawl. With some very simple research that would have been discovered. By designating neighborhoods as residential, it prevented places like Inman Park from having highways gutted through them and slums from emerging. It was a fight to get them zoned that way to not destroy historical intown neighborhoods, which are the urban areas that help define Atlanta's character.

- Traffic is mostly an issue for people who don't even live in Atlanta. Traffic complaints are commuters from outer-reaching suburbs who also have no influence on Atlanta politics or culture, and many of whom like it that way, who live over 15 miles away. Ask an average Atlantan who actually lives in Atlanta, and most of them think the issue is ridiculous and mute.

But alas, someone finds a nifty video after a simple google search, posts it everywhere, and is suddenly an expert on Atlanta. Get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City