Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 01:57 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yeah, because unless you live in NYC there is no way you would know what a subway really is
Yep, those holes in the ground that smell like someone who hasn't taken a shower for a year and was then urinated on is what defines what is and is not a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:00 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yep, those holes in the ground that smell like someone who hasn't taken a shower for a year and was then urinated on is what defines what is and is not a city.
Why must you degrade public transportation because your town does not have it? I think public transportation provides a great service to the residents of a city and also helps with traffic congestion. I wish all American cities had excellent public transportation.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:01 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
I think its a bit ridiculous that a city has to have a subway in order to be considered a real city.

It seems as if people are just saying anything to "disqualify" cities they don't like for whatever reason.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think its a bit ridiculous that a city has to have a subway in order to be considered a real city.

It seems as if people are just saying anything to "disqualify" cities they don't like for whatever reason.
I just assumed that those posts were made tongue-in-cheek because like I said earlier in this thread, using those qualifications, Seattle hasn't been a real city up until this past year when they started operating light rail in the downtown bus tunnel...and even that isn't a true subway, it's light rail.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I just assumed that those posts were made tongue-in-cheek because like I said earlier in this thread, using those qualifications, Seattle hasn't been a real city up until this past year when they started operating light rail in the downtown bus tunnel...and even that isn't a true subway, it's light rail.
Also by that logic, Atlanta has been a "real city" just as long as San Francisco and Washington D.C. I'm sure whoever made the subway comment didn't mean to include Atlanta in the "real city" category.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yeah, because unless you live in NYC there is no way you would know what a subway really is

Did I say people not from NYC didn't know what a subway was? It was a few people from all over the country.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

I didn't do that purposely. When I go to a city, I get the real city feel if I'm underground waiting for the train. I don't get that big city feel if I'm waiting above ground for their "metro" when it feels like a commuter train to me (like the LIRR).

Old 10-16-2009, 02:28 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I didn't do that purposely. When I go to a city, I get the real city feel if I'm underground waiting for the train. I don't get that big city feel if I'm waiting above ground for their "metro" when it feels like a commuter train to me (like the LIRR).
That's understandable but there's also other elements such as a skyline, a dense core (even if its small), etc. but maybe that's just me. Even when I see the Atlantic City skyline I'm breaking my neck looking around in amazement.

Unrelated:
I prefer the LIRR over the subway lol. Its way faster & down the street.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Why must you degrade public transportation because your town does not have it? I think public transportation provides a great service to the residents of a city and also helps with traffic congestion. I wish all American cities had excellent public transportation.
Speaking the truth is not degrading something.

The NYC subway has always smelled like a sewer especially in the summer time.

Some people would rather ride in comfort in their own car rather than be crushed in like a sardine, sometimes next to someone who has not showered.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Some people would rather ride in comfort in their own car rather than be crushed in like a sardine, sometimes next to someone who has not showered.
Some people have no choice but to ride in the "comfort" of their own car, because they live in cities that have not invested appropriately in transit. Myself, I haven't driven my car to work for two years, and I couldn't be happier. Oh, I live in DC, and our subway is neither smelly nor overcrowded. My 10 minute subway commute (replete with Ipod and newspaper) beats the heck out of fighting with other drivers on the freeway, filling up with gas, finding/paying for parking, and generally stressing myself out.

Although I can see why some people would enjoy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City