Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:33 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times

Advertisements

What cities do you have to go to in order to do something because it isn't offered in any other city. These cities are usually the most popular, like Los Angeles because it offers you the whole Hollywood experience that you can't get anywhere else, or NYC just because the mass amount of everything, arts fashion etc that you can't get in any other city.

What other cities in America are like this? and what do they have to offer that other cities don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 08:41 PM

840 posts, read 2,087,245 times
IDK about this because alot cities offer the same ammenities just in different locations, but I'll try something.

Atlanta- Strong Black Culture, Blacks in Power, not just one or two but many. . And good race relations between black and white people. Strong Black Gay culture also

Old 11-14-2009, 09:11 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,400 times
Seattle - Pike Place Market. And espresso on every corner.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:15 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Seattle - Pike Place Market. And espresso on every corner.
That's Portland. And probably some other cities like San Francisco and Boston.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:16 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
San Francisco: for the wonderful and unique step hills and bay views, gardens and great food. And because you can walk everywhere

Old 11-14-2009, 09:19 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,721 times
Outdoor/wilderness activities so close to city life.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
San Francisco: for the wonderful and unique step hills and bay views, gardens and great food. And because you can walk everywhere
I thought I could get great food in lots of cities...

Old 11-14-2009, 09:24 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
That's Portland. And probably some other cities like San Francisco and Boston.
There's only 1 Pike Place Market. And Seattle is the espresso king. Don't kid yourself, no one else is close.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:25 PM

331 posts, read 673,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I thought I could get great food in lots of cities...
Just not in Atlanta....or the being "able to walk everywhere" part either...

Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 PM

45 posts, read 46,303 times
New York City...

-The "cool" scene unmatched by any other city in the United States

-The fashion scene unmatched by any other city in the United States.

-The convenience, unmatched by any other city in the United States. Where else in this country can I walk outside and be in a 100ft walking distance of upscale shopping, upscale dining, cheap shopping, cheap dining, cafes, art galleries, etc? Everything is at your fingertips.

-Architecture. No city in the states matches New York's architecture.

(a) Landing at the airport in NYC, approaching the bridge (forgot which one) and going into Manhattan and looking New York's skyline makes my heart beat. Chicago's looks too insignificant and doesn't impress me.

(b) New York's architecture is soooo diverse and spectacular.

-New York has a vibe unmatched by any city in the world.

-Ultra-cosmopolitan scene. New York seems more connected to the world than other United States city.

-Upscale urban atmosphere that no city in the states can match.

-Being a 24/hr city. No other city can match.

-Diversity no other city can match (racially, socioeconomically). The richest people in the world and the dirtiest poorest people in the world walking the same streets (even if they are going to scrub toilets in Park Avenue residential complexes). NYC has the most wealth on the planet and Bronx one of the lowest-class places in the country. All in one city! Such diversity! I always saw guys with Prada suitcases, Brioni suits, women with Louboutin stilettos, sitting next to smelly poor people on the subway. Like right next to them!

OMG.., it's like other TRUE cities (like London, Paris, Tokyo) that you can't find in this country that covets nasty things like McDonalds and tract homes! Dare I say...the most civilized? So different from America! Very unique and I love it.

Last edited by christian.; 11-14-2009 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City