Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 AM

331 posts, read 673,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
My eyes, my eyes.

Ew.
I missed that you responded to my post. I know you'rer jagging around with your response. Those building and houses ALL had character to them. I bet you were surprised Pittsburgh even had character? I know, you're strictly a "coast man"..... It's sad all that you're missing out on......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 AM

45 posts, read 46,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/6835063-post88.html Tell me what you think about these pics of Pittsburgh. I could post many more, my point, it's easy to post great pics of many cities (espeacially ones up north). But to someone who's spent any great length of time in Chicago and NYC, they know Chicago wins. Just cause NYC has more buildings, doesn't mean they're better! "Quality" over "quanity" is what were're talking about!
Um, I think it's alarmingly clear that my taste level is stratospheres above your own as you know nothing about aesthetics, style, art so statements like "Chicago wins" does nothing but amuse me. It's certainly a taste-level issue here. You seem to have no knowledge of New York and come across as bitter that you were perhaps priced out of the city.

Your childish vendetta against all things New York City is beginning to bore me. I get it, Pittsburgh has better restaurants than New York City because you were priced out. Chicago has better architecture than New York City because you were priced out. Omaha has better bars than New York City because you were priced out. The club scene in Lexington Kentucky is more glamorous than New York's because you were priced out. Everything in New York is bad and everything in [insert low-budget] city is good. I think I'm catching your drift.

Please bore someone else.

Last edited by christian.; 11-15-2009 at 01:11 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Actually, there are several people on this forum who've been to both and prefer NYC over Chicago. I don't think you've done anything to prove that Chicago has quality over NYC.
You are right, I haven't. I've only seen with my one good eye (I'm completely blind in my left eye...) the differences. I don't have a dog in this hunt. If I thought NYC was better, I'd say so, but I don't. I just know, that the AVERAGE building in Chicago, whether it's an apt building or condo, has a lot more character. Maybe the skyscaper dept is different. But as far as driving down any given block in either city, Chicago is easier on the eyes. " Curb appeal" is an after thought in NYC.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:00 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think anyone's doubting the historical importance of Chicago when it comes to architecture.

However, if vernacular styles brought from Europe, Art Deco, and Beaux-Arts are your thing, then I think NYC has Chicago beat soundly.
Oh yes. Your right. New York is VERY important in architecture as well. I didn't mean to imply other wise. I'm saying the two cities are on par and I would even through in LA (although, mostly modern and not nearly as diverse as the other two). Which is better is up individual taste. Christian seemed to be implying that New York over shadows every other city in the country (including Chicago) when it comes to architecture, which isn't true, at least from an academic and historical stand point.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Oh no. I never said anything about "appointing my self the expert of New York" because clearly you've already claimed that title. I just said Chicago can stack up against New York when it comes to architectural reputation and influence. I'm assuming this probably the first time you've heard those name? How about some New York architects? I could name several and what they've done in New York. Why? Because I've studied the subject and I know what I'm talking about. If you can't see how Chicago can compete with New York than maybe that says more about your taste (or lack there of) than my knowledge. If you like New York architecture better than fine, but don't make elitist statements "no other city in the country can compete with New York's architecture." Anyone who's studied architecture knows that's not true.
You also said that New York lacks in the low-rise department, when clearly New York trounces Chicago when it comes to low rise architecture.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:09 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
You also said that New York lacks in the low-rise department. That alone makes it hard for me to take you seriously.

Sorry.
No, I said it wasn't as diverse or reputable. All of those buildings you showed, for the most part, where from the same time period of architecture and where some type Neoclassical style. And really, I would consider many of those to be more along the lines of mid-rise buildings. In addition, I'm pretty sure I've been referring to modern architecture this whole time and you pulled up several (but not all) pictures of Neoclassical buildings.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:10 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
You are right, I haven't. I've only seen with my one good eye (I'm completely blind in my left eye...) the differences. I don't have a dog in this hunt. If I thought NYC was better, I'd say so, but I don't. I just know, that the AVERAGE building in Chicago, whether it's an apt building or condo, has a lot more character. Maybe the skyscaper dept is different. But as far as driving down any given block in either city, Chicago is easier on the eyes. " Curb appeal" is an after thought in NYC.
I just don't see this being true as I've done the same (and actually live in one of the two cities and have seen much more of it than you have). It doesn't sound like you have anything to back this up while I can actually list specific neighborhoods and christian. has posted numerous pictures.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I think it's alarmingly clear that my taste level is stratospheres above your own. You know nothing about aesthetics, style, art so statements like "Chicago wins" does nothing but amuse me. It's certainly a taste-level issue here. You seem to have no knowledge of New York and come across as bitter that you were perhaps priced out of the city.

Your childish vendetta against all things New York City is beginning to bore me. I get it, Pittsburgh has better restaurants than New York City because you were priced out. Chicago has better architecture than New York City because you were priced out. Omaha has better bars than New York City because you were priced out. The club scene in Waco is more glamorous than New York's because you were priced out. Everything in New York is bad and everything [insert low-budget] city is good. I think I'm catching your drift.

Please bore someone else.
Listen here "Jared", I have no "vendetta" against NYC. Just cause it don't impress me like some 20 yr old kid wet behind the ears, doesn't mean i'm bashing it. I call it like I see it.

Now you're trying to say that I was impling that Pittsburgh has better restaurants than NYC. All I can say, with the Italian food, Pittsburgh bows her head to nobody, including NYC. I could care less about all the 5 star restaurants that NYC has either. Places were people with too much money go and drop a grand on dinner and whine. If you got that kinda of money, great, but then what are you doing wasting time on here? And like the avg ny'er ever eats at them places to begin with.

Actually, unlike you, I'm VERY well travelled. Omaha, I've been there. It's nowhere I'd ever want to live. But, to my surprise, they do have a pretty upscale mall in their burbs. Along with some nice looking houses. Don't forget, that's where Warren Buffet lives. And he's RICHER than ANY Ny'er, so don't let him here you say that...

You come across to me, as someone who's VERY young, probably early 20's. You don't understand the difference between HYPE and REALITY. You eat "Subway" sanwiches and they say your "dog ate it"......

Old 11-15-2009, 01:12 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
You sound like a tourist who's been swindled repeatedly in NYC because no one who knew better showed you around. It really doesn't sound like the city I live in, and I've lived in various parts of the US and the world.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
But, to my surprise, they do have a pretty upscale mall in their burbs.
Malls are for poor people.

Quote:
Along with some nice looking houses.
Nope.

Quote:
Don't forget, that's where Warren Buffet lives.
So? Cows live there too.

Quote:
And he's RICHER than ANY Ny'er, so don't let him here you say that...
Whoa, one rich person! Omaha is low-class.

Quote:
You come across to me, as someone who's VERY young, probably early 20's.
I may be young, but I am very sophisticated and well-traveled. I'll fit in very well when I move back to Manhattan next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City