Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 10:42 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I would say that none of the cities in Texas are unique. they all seem bland to me, they're just cities that offer the same amenities as any other average city.
Gotta disagree there. Austin is a one of a kind place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 10:49 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Completely agree. I haven't traveled that much but I doubt I'll ever find any city quite like Austin.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:58 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Completely agree. I haven't traveled that much but I doubt I'll ever find any city quite like Austin.
Me three...and add San Antonio to the list of unique Texas cities.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
New Orleans really stands out to me. Anyone who has ever gone on any of the historic tours there probably knows what I'm talking about.

Another less-known one is the historic sections of Galveston Island, TX.
New Orleans is for sure. Galveston is pretty unique. It has a strange charm to that's hard to describe.

Other cities that have can offer something no one else can

Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
New York
Nashville
Austin
Boston
Washington
Miami (possibly)
Chicago (I'm sure there is something the city can offer that no one else can)

My maybe list would include San Antonio, Fort Worth, Cincinnati (I've heard a lot of really good things about this place), Portland, Philadelphia, Memphis, and Denver.

I'm sure I left a few out, but those are the first to come to mind.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Me three...and add San Antonio to the list of unique Texas cities.
True. I haven't run across a city big or small in Texas that can pull of the Tex-Mex charm as well as San Antonio. In addition, the city has very rich history that adds to the appeal.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:51 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times
Quote:
True. I haven't run across a city big or small in Texas that can pull of the Tex-Mex charm as well as San Antonio. In addition, the city has very rich history that adds to the appeal.
Thats true. I was thinking more of Dallas and Houston.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
New Orleans is for sure. Galveston is pretty unique. It has a strange charm to that's hard to describe.

Other cities that have can offer something no one else can

Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
New York
Nashville
Austin
Boston
Washington
Miami (possibly)
Chicago (I'm sure there is something the city can offer that no one else can)

My maybe list would include San Antonio, Fort Worth, Cincinnati (I've heard a lot of really good things about this place), Portland, Philadelphia, Memphis, and Denver.

I'm sure I left a few out, but those are the first to come to mind.
Miami is definitely unique. What other city in the US offers that tropical Latin vibe as good as Miami does.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:00 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Quote:
I would say that none of the cities in Texas are unique. they all seem bland to me, they're just cities that offer the same amenities as any other average city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
I disagree with both of you.

The major cities in Texas might offer similar amenities to the major cities in some other states; maybe that's what GLS2010 meant.

I think historic Galveston is unique, historic San Antonio is unique, parts of Fort Worth, and there are probably a few other smaller cities I'm missing.

But all of this fawning over Austin by some people gets downright annoying after awhile, especially the viewpoint that it's somehow not Texan or so incredibly different from the rest of Texas. There is almost this yearning of an Austin from the 80's or 90's. Aside from a neat state capital building and maybe a music festival or two, I don't think there's anything about it so special or unique these days. The bulk of the population now lives in the same kinds of so-called generic suburbs surrounding the city just as in the case of the other fast-growing large Texas metros.
And as a former Austinite of many years, as well as someone who goes back frequently to visit family/friends, it's not like I'm inexperienced with it in the least.

I think Houston's Rodeo time is very unique; would you ever think to see horses and cowboys going down a major road, temporarily closed to cars, in the nation's 4th largest city? What about the Texas Medical Center, which is larger than most cities' downtowns? Seems rather unique to me, especially if you've ever walked it. The Montrose neighborhood recently won an award for the top urban neighborhoods in the nation; and believe me, with Houston's lack of formal zoning it is very unique. But none of this is mentioned, why? Probably because Houston's PR doesn't push "coolness" to the magazines and other media outlets. Which is fine, but jeez, I think weighing so heavily on pop culture as opposed to reality is (ironically) very uncool. Just my opinion. Maybe I just don't "get it" but I've heard the same opinion by many others... they're just not as vocal on places like C-D I guess.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Thats true. I was thinking more of Dallas and Houston.
Yeah, when people say all the Texas cities are the same, I've noticed they seem to normally be thinking about Houston and Dallas. Those two cities only make up about 4 million people in a state of 25 million. Don't forget about the other 21 million people! People form Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and every where else in Texas tend to no like that.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-15-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I disagree with both of you.

The major cities in Texas might offer similar amenities to the major cities in some other states; maybe that's what GLS2010 meant.

I think historic Galveston is unique, historic San Antonio is unique, parts of Fort Worth, and there are probably a few other smaller cities I'm missing.

But all of this fawning over Austin by some people gets downright annoying after awhile, especially the viewpoint that it's somehow not Texan or so incredibly different from the rest of Texas. There is almost this yearning of an Austin from the 80's or 90's. Aside from a neat state capital building and maybe a music festival or two, I don't think there's anything about it so special or unique these days. The bulk of the population now lives in the same kinds of so-called generic suburbs surrounding the city just as in the case of the other fast-growing large Texas metros.
And as a former Austinite of many years, as well as someone who goes back frequently to visit family/friends, it's not like I'm inexperienced with it in the least.

I think Houston's Rodeo time is very unique; would you ever think to see horses and cowboys going down a major road, temporarily closed to cars, in the nation's 4th largest city? What about the Texas Medical Center, which is larger than most cities' downtowns? Seems rather unique to me, especially if you've ever walked it. The Montrose neighborhood recently won an award for the top urban neighborhoods in the nation; and believe me, with Houston's lack of formal zoning it is very unique. But none of this is mentioned, why? Probably because Houston's PR doesn't push "coolness" to the magazines and other media outlets. Which is fine, but jeez, I think weighing so heavily on pop culture as opposed to reality is (ironically) very uncool. Just my opinion. Maybe I just don't "get it" but I've heard the same opinion by many others... they're just not as vocal on places like C-D I guess.
I really don't know of anything that someone can do in Houston or Dallas that they can't do anywhere else. cause you can see good rodeo's in a lot of cities. Not trying to bash either city, i just never heard of anything unique that those cities have to offer. Would you care to fill me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City