Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Well, considering that Queens is 110 sq miles, and has a population over 2.2 million people, I'd say that qualifies as "urban". Why do people think that an ENTIRE city has to look like downtowns do? Why is this? City neighborhoods don't all have to look like mid-town Mannhattan to be city-like.

What neighborhoods did you list? I'll have to relook after this post. There are a handful of nabes in Queens that will pass for being "nice" looking. How about most of Jamaica? I know you ain't going to say that Far Rockaway is nice looking.

NYC is very old, and it shows. It is was it is. NYC doesn't really re-envest in most of it's older buildings or houses. Builders tear them down and build new and jive looking condos instead.
I didn't say an entire city has to look like downtown, and you're stretching it. The suburbs comment was one part of the sentence. There are places in Queens with great density, and that aren't--which is well to be expected since Queens is larger than many cities.

How about Forest Hills Garden, Sunnyside Garden, much of the Rockaway Peninsula, Tudor Village, and about a dozen more?

Jamaica is huge, and not all the same.

It was one of my earlier posts.

What you say is true of almost all American cities, Chicago included. It does still have a lot of neighborhoods that are gorgeous. Show me that there are more tracts of beautiful architecture in Chicago than there are in NYC. I've seen them with my eyes, and I don't agree with you. I don't see the point you're trying to make by listing unattractive neighborhoods since your argument doesn't revolve around unattractive neighborhoods, but those that are attractive (and it's especially fruitless since it's supposed to be in comparison to attractive neighborhoods in Chicago which you should also be listing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 AM

331 posts, read 673,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWest View Post
^^^

Dude...Chicago also has ****ty neighborhoods as does LA, SF, Boston, DC, Houston. Whats the point of singling out these neighborhoods like Jamaica? I don't get your point.
Never said they didn't, EVER city does. But the vast majority of nyc doesn't look good as Chicago's does (especially when talking about the character of buildings). That's my only point! He said that I only listed nabes in Queens that ain't nice looking, I was pointing out the fact that I could've listed others. I listed all the nabes that ran along Northern Blvd. I think you jumped into this conversation a little late to understand.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 AM

59 posts, read 100,007 times
Quote:
Never said they didn't, EVER city does. But the vast majority of nyc doesn't look good as Chicago's does (especially when talking about the character of buildings). That's my only point! He said that I only listed nabes in Queens that ain't nice looking, I was pointing out the fact that I could've listed others. I listed all the nabes that ran along Northern Blvd. I think you jumped into this conversation a little late to understand.
The vast majority of Chicago doesn't look as nice as NYC does. Chicago (and other midwestern cities) have the worst neighborhoods ive ever seen in the US.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I didn't say an entire city has to look like downtown, and you're stretching it. The suburbs comment was one part of the sentence. There are places in Queens with great density, and that aren't--which is well to be expected since Queens is larger than many cities.

How about Forest Hills Garden, Sunnyside Garden, much of the Rockaway Peninsula, Tudor Village, and about a dozen more?

Jamaica is huge, and not all the same.

It was one of my earlier posts.

What you say is true of almost all American cities, Chicago included. It does still have a lot of neighborhoods that are gorgeous. Show me that there are more tracts of beautiful architecture in Chicago than there are in NYC. I've seen them with my eyes, and I don't agree with you.
A dozen more? Come on, even the ones you listed has eyes sores in them. I know Jamaica is huge, but most of it is crap! What's that one area, Jamaica Estates or something, now that is REAL nice!

We're starting to veer off are original arguement. What city, talking about the avg building, has more character, I'm sorry, but Chicago wins this hands down! Have you gone from a Chicago city nabe in the morning, to a NYC nabe in the afternoon? I have, and I'm telling you the difference can really be huge. NYC has way more bland, straight brick, no character buildings than Chicago.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWest View Post
The vast majority of Chicago doesn't look as nice as NYC does. Chicago (and other midwestern cities) have the worst neighborhoods ive ever seen in the US.
Guess you never been to Philly or Baltimore with that comment........

Old 11-15-2009, 02:41 AM

You think "Fedder" condo's could be sold in Chicago? If you think that, you have never been to Chicago. Christ, they don't even have central air and they're "new" construction!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
A dozen more? Come on, even the ones you listed has eyes sores in them. I know Jamaica is huge, but most of it is crap! What's that one area, Jamaica Estates or something, now that is REAL nice!

We're starting to veer off are original arguement. What city, talking about the avg building, has more character, I'm sorry, but Chicago wins this hands down! Have you gone from a Chicago city nabe in the morning, to a NYC nabe in the afternoon? I have, and I'm telling you the difference can really be huge. NYC has way more bland, straight brick, no character buildings than Chicago.
Yes, and even the ones you've listed have great buildings or blocks of buildings in them.

We veered off when you concentrated on buildings without character that you've seen while I've been talking about neighborhoods with character which is what this is actually about. Please show why Chicago has more character, because you've done none of that so far.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
You think "Fedder" condo's could be sold in Chicago? If you think that, you have never been to Chicago. Christ, they don't even have central air and they're "new" construction!
You have to be kidding. There is terrible architecture in Chicago just as there is in NYC. I've seen rows of really ugly (mostly detached unit) buildings.

Please go ahead and post pictures of beautiful Chicago residential architecture with character. That is the point.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:03 AM

59 posts, read 100,007 times
worldwanderer, why can't you name ONE of these neighborhoods with "more character" than NYC ones? Do you really believe anything your saying or you just have it out for NYC?

As an outsider, NYC blows Chicago out the water when it comes to neighborhoods. They look much nicer.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You have to be kidding. There is terrible architecture in Chicago just as there is in NYC. I've seen rows of really ugly (mostly detached unit) buildings.

Please go ahead and post pictures of beautiful Chicago residential architecture with character. That is the point.
Chicago DOES NOT build new condos that resemble "Fedders" unbeilievable gernericness! I mean, come on, even the baconies are jive looking. And NO CENTRAL AIR? Please show me 1 new construction condo in Chicago without central air! Even the "conversion condos" in Chicago have central air (when they gut old apts out and make them into condos, in case you don't know what I mean).

Chicago' standard of living in much higher than NYC's! Everything from the grocery stores to the laundrymats. How many laundrymat's in NYC even have central air? And would it kill them to throw a roll of toilet paper or paper towels in their bathrooms?

The outerboroughs of NYC are very 3rd world like in many many areas. How about internet cafes there? Same thing. I don't overlook these kinds of things like I did when I was in my early 20's and first start going to nyc. As an adult, things like not being able to dry my hands off, or even washing them cause there's no soap, bother me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City