Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:26 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you think Atlanta's fine-dining can compete with the Bay Area, NYC, Chicago, or LA yet? It seems unlikely to me, though I'm sure it's great.

Slightly related--I wonder if all the James Beard-awarded and celebrity chef-opened eateries in Las Vegas means anything. Has anyone actually tried the fine dining there and compared it to the restaurants opened in the traditional heavyweights?
Look, all I said was "I thought I could get great food in lots of other cities" and for some reason it was turned into "Atlanta's fine-dining can compete with the Bay Area, etc". I didn't even mention Atlanta...some people just thrive on disagreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Fast food is common throughout NYC--really common.

Brownstones/rowhouses are low-rises and they are pretty common throughout NYC. They're also incredibly gorgeous. I think you've got things a little mixed up. Chicago is well-known for its highrises/skyscrapers and so is NYC. However, I'm pretty sure the low-rises in NYC are more famous than those in Chicago.

NYC has a huge diversity of housing with beach cottages in Breezy Point/the Rockaways, massive housing project blocks, beautiful rowhouses/brownstones, historic mansions, ornate apartment buildings, detached housings on single lots (Dyker Heights, Staten Island, much of Queens), converted warehouses, garden city apartment complexes, etc. and most of these are low-rises.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 PM

331 posts, read 673,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Lol! From reading you post, I don't think you would know the "cool scene" in New York if wandered into the biggest hipster bar in Brooklyn.

WRONG! Any one who has taken an architectural history class could tell you that Chicago is one of the most important, if not the most, important city to modern architecture and is right up there with New York. I'm not sure many people realize that LA is also a very important city in architecture over the past 100 years, but just not in skyscrapers. LA is known for houses an low rise buildings. NYC is known for skyscrapers. Chicago is known for both.

New York has diverse skyscraper architecture. Sure you have places like The Guggenheim Museum, but as for low rise buildings, not quite as diverse or reputable.

lol! isn't there a McDonalds on Time Square? Also, isn't one of the biggest complaints from New Yorkers about Manhattan is how commercialized it has become?

I enjoy your posts christian! you crack me up!
It's nice to see somebody who knows what they're talking about. How about how he said the dog "ate his Subway sandwich" after I called him on it?

When someone never visits other places, then make statements like "nyc is king of the cheap eats", it makes them look they seen one too many movies or tv shows. They just want to sound "cool"....

Old 11-14-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Fast food is common throughout NYC--really common.

Brownstones/rowhouses are low-rises and they are pretty common throughout NYC. They're also incredibly gorgeous. I think you've got things a little mixed up. Chicago is well-known for its highrises/skyscrapers and so is NYC. However, I'm pretty sure the low-rises in NYC are more famous than those in Chicago.

NYC has a huge diversity of housing with beach cottages in Breezy Point/the Rockaways, massive housing project blocks, beautiful rowhouses/brownstones, historic mansions, ornate apartment buildings, detached housings on single lots (Dyker Heights, Staten Island, much of Queens), converted warehouses, garden city apartment complexes, etc. and most of these are low-rises.
I beg to differ. A lot of NYC's building lack very little character, if any. The outerboroughs are beyond horrible with the majority of their bland buildings (and the new ones are so bad, you couldn't give them away in Chicago). Look at how bland most of the buildings are along Park Ave. If someone didn't tell me this is where the rich live, I'd never would have known it. The building's certainly don't give me any kinda of millionaire feel or look.

Chicago repoints their older apt buildings, add tinted windows, and do landscaping. Sorry, but nyc loses BIG time in this department!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:41 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
I beg to differ. A lot of NYC's building lack very little character, if any. The outerboroughs are beyond horrible with the majority of their bland buildings (any the new ones are so bad, you couldn't give them away in Chicago). Look at how bland most of the buildings are along Park Ave. If someone didn't tell me this is where the rich live, I'd never would have known it. The building's certainly don't give me any kinda of millionaire feel or look.

Chicago repoints their older apt buildings, add tinted windows, and do landscaping. Sorry, but nyc loses BIG time in this department!
Is Chicago famous for its older low to midrises though? And it's true some of the buildings are bland, but there are a lot of famous standouts. As for the outerboroughs being bland--meh. If you don't like brownstones, then you don't like them. I think a lot of them are gorgeous, and I really like a lot of the older single lot homes in Dyker Heights.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:41 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
It's nice to see somebody who knows what they're talking about. How about how he said the dog "ate his Subway sandwich" after I called him on it?

When someone never visits other places, then make statements like "nyc is king of the cheap eats", it makes them look they seen one too many movies or tv shows. They just want to sound "cool"....
Dude. I'm not going to lie, but I've never been to NYC and I seem to know NYC than christian. I have a friend from Brooklyn and when I asked him about Manhattan, he replied "*censor* Manhattan and their $12 beers. Manhattan is so over priced." Also, I looked into going to an architecture school in Manhattan but decided not to because of how insanely expensive it is. $2,000 a month for a single bedroom apartment!

New York is a great place I'm sure, but there is nothing cheap about it.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Is Chicago famous for its older low to midrises though? And it's true some of the buildings are bland, but there are a lot of famous standouts. As for the outerboroughs being bland--meh. If you don't like brownstones, then you don't like them. I think a lot of them are gorgeous, and I really like a lot of the older single lot homes in Dyker Heights.
Come on now, who doesn't like Brownstones? Of course I like 'em, they're gorgeous! But to act like they're all over nyc is a stretch. How many nabes in the outerboroughs have framed houses with siding on them? Or how about all the new condo buildings that have NO CHARACTER, and I mean NO CHARACTER what-so-ever to them! Those builder's should be shot! Cause those ugly plain brick buildings will be there 100 years from now! Not to mention that almost NONE of the apt buildings have any character.

Sorry, as far as character goes, Chicago wins. Lets not forget how someone renting an apt in Chicago, will probably live on a tree lined street. Or atleast a lot more likely then they would in nyc!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:49 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Is Chicago famous for its older low to midrises though?
Actually yes it is. Nothing bland about the architecture in Chicago, from houses, to low rise, to mid rise, to high rise. Or at least, it has beautiful and famous buildings on all different levels.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:53 PM

45 posts, read 46,303 times
Quote:
(NYC's vibe definitely rubs some people the wrong way, and a lot of the subcultures/countercultures here are pretty feeble compared to some other places)
New York subcultures/countercultures, feeble? Have you completely lost your mind?

Fashion scene? Check. Music scene? Check. Elite scene? Check. Glam scene? Check. Hipster scene? Check. Yuppie scene? Bohemian scene? Check. Street scene? I could go on and on...

Nothing tops New York when it comes to "scenes". No place is as cool as New York City. That distinct vibe of New York City is unmatched.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Dude. I'm not going to lie, but I've never been to NYC and I seem to know NYC than christian. I have a friend from Brooklyn and when I asked him about Manhattan, he replied "*censor* Manhattan and their $12 beers. Manhattan is so over priced." Also, I looked into going to an architecture school in Manhattan but decided not to because of how insanely expensive it is. $2,000 a month for a single bedroom apartment!

New York is a great place I'm sure, but there is nothing cheap about it.
Your friend is right about Mannhattan. Most Ny'ers who don't work there, don't venture into it much. As far as the entire nyc goes, at a certain age, I think it's overrated completely! It's a blast when your in your 20's, but 40's? Who cares if you can stumble out of a bar at 4 or 5 or 6 AM, or eat sushi at that hour when you're in your 40's. Get my point? Most NY'ers (who ain't kids), go to bed and get up like anyone else their age from around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City