Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:29 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
There's only 1 Pike Place Market. And Seattle is the espresso king. Don't kid yourself, no one else is close.
Whoops, meant to highlight only the "espresso" part. Seattle's reputation for being the "coffee city" is because of Starbucks and Seattle's Best, but that doesn't mean it's espresso king. There are as many coffee shops in Portland as there are in Seattle and Portland has just as many independent roasters. Seattle is a kind of a "has a coffee shop on every city block" type of city, but there are others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:39 PM

331 posts, read 673,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
New York City...

-The "cool" scene unmatched by any other city in the United States

-The fashion scene unmatched by any other city in the United States.

-The convenience, unmatched by any other city in the United States. Where else in this country can I walk outside and be in a 100ft walking distance of upscale shopping, upscale dining, cheap shopping, cheap dining, cafes, art galleries, etc? Everything is at your fingertips.

-Architecture. No city in the states matches New York's architecture.

(a) Landing at the airport in NYC, approaching the bridge (forgot which one) and going into Manhattan and looking New York's skyline makes my heart beat. Chicago's looks too insignificant.

(b) New York's architecture is soooo diverse.

-New York has a vibe unmatched by any city in the world.

-Ultra-cosmopolitan scene. New York seems more connected to the world than other United States city.

-Upscale urban atmosphere that no city in the states can match.

-Being a 24/hr city. No other city can match.
I have to disagree with you on a few points.

First of all, to say that "you can walk a 100ft out your door" and have upscale shopping and dining, and also have cheap dining and shopping is way off base. Not to mention that a lot of grocery shopping in nyc revolves around bodegas, which certainly ain't "cheap" with most their products. And "everything" is not at your "fingertips".

Mannhattan is 24 sq miles. The entire city of nyc is 320 or so sq miles. Please don't act like the entire city is like Mannhattan. Plus, even in Mannhattan, there are lots of areas that ain't convienent.

Living in nyc is a lot different than just visiting it. By the sounds of it, you ONLY visited it. To say that "everything" that someone needs on a daily basis is within a "100ft" in nyc, is laughable...........

Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 PM

45 posts, read 46,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
I have to disagree with you on a few points.

First of all, to say that "you can walk a 100ft out your door" and have upscale shopping and dining, and also have cheap dining and shopping is way off base. Not to mention that a lot of grocery shopping in nyc revolves around bodegas, which certainly ain't "cheap" with most their products. And "everything" is not at your "fingertips".
I stayed in SoHo, Tribeca, Chelsea, Gramercy Park, Midtown, Upper West Side and yes what I said was true. If it's not there, I can have it delivered. But everything was there.

So in my experience, the everything-you-need- 100ft-out-the-door rule is reality.

Quote:
Mannhattan is 24 sq miles. The entire city of nyc is 320 or so sq miles. Please don't act like the entire city is like Mannhattan. Plus, even in Mannhattan, there are lots of areas that ain't convienent.
Well the place a very large chunk of people descend upon is Manhattan. Plus, everything delivers in Manhattan.. grocery stores, stores like Saks and Barneys have same day delivery in New York. I hear even Costco will soon do deliveries in New York.

I've even had Subway (sandwich) delivered when in Manhattan.

Being in NYC felt like I was living in the Four Seasons Hotel. Or Disney World for grown ups!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I stayed in SoHo, Tribeca, Chelsea, Midtown, Upper West Side and yes what I said was true.

In my experience, the 100ft out the door rule is reality.

Well the place a very large chunk of people descend upon is Manhattan. Plus, everything delivers in Manhattan.. Grocery stores, stores like Saks and Barneys have same day delivery in New York.

I've even had Subway (sandwich) delivered when in Manhattan.
Cheap dining in those areas? Really? Especailly in Midtown being the tourist trap that it is. You'll pay more for a slice of pizza there than probably anywhere else in the city cause of this fact. Soho has the art galleries that you mentioned, but cheap dining? Your "100ft" is beyond laughable....it's downright silly....

It's "so convienent" that people have their grocery's delivered?... Isn't that the reason they have there groceries delivered in the first place? Plus, do you really want to grocery shop over the phone? That's for senior citizens who are "shut-ins" if you ask me.

P.S. why would you have a "Subway" sandwich delivered? Was the "100ft walk" too much? Second of all, why would you EVEN eat a "Subway" sandwich when you were in nyc? All the great bodegas in nyc, and you order a sandwich that could be eaten anywhere in America?

Old 11-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Cheap dining in those areas? Really? Especailly in Midtown being the tourist trap that it is. You'll pay more for a slice of pizza there than probably anywhere else in the city cause of this fact. Soho has the art galleries that you mentioned, but cheap dining? Your "100ft" is beyond laughable....it's downright silly....

It's "so convienent" that people have their grocery's delivered?... Isn't that the reason they have there groceries delivered in the first place? Plus, do you really want to grocery shop over the phone? That's for senior citizens who are "shut-ins" if you ask me.
Um, it's year 2009. It's New York City. In New York City, you order groceries ONLINE not over the phone!

FreshDirect

Plus Dean & Deluca (my favorite) does same day deliveries for people in New York City.

And yes grocery shopping online is part of convenience, just like room service at a hotel is part of convenience. Maybe you should try online-grocery shopping if you're ever in New York instead of questioning me.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Um, it's year 2009. It's New York City. In New York City, you order groceries ONLINE not over the phone!

FreshDirect

Plus Dean & Deluca (my favorite) does same day deliveries for people in New York City.

Maybe you should try online-grocery shopping if you're ever in New York instead of questioning me.
When I'm in nyc, I like to be "out-n-bout", not couped up in some apt or hotel room ordering groceries. I guess this is something you don't get about nyc, it's all about the city and interacting with people. I go out and buy my groceries, and will always do so.

Someone who eats "subway" when in nyc (especially when ONLY visiting), is not someone I'd ever take advice from. Sure a lot of people who live in nyc frequent chain restaurants, but not on a regular basis. Bodegas sandwiches are way better than subway!..

Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
When I'm in nyc, I like to be "out-n-bout", not couped up in some apt or hotel room ordering groceries. I guess this is something you don't get about nyc, it's all about the city and interacting with people. I go out and buy my groceries, and will always do so.

Someone who eats "subway" when in nyc (especially when ONLY visiting), is not someone I'd ever take advice from. Sure a lot of people who live in nyc frequent chain restaurants, but not on a regular basis. Bodegas sandwiches are way better than subway!..
The subway (meat) was actually for my dog.

And that brings me to another thing, another thing....restaurants;

Masa, Daniel, Per Se, Jean Georges, Le Bernardin, Kuruma Zushi, Alain Ducasse @ the Essex House. No other city touches NYC when it comes to fine dining and the sophisticated atmosphere.

Small shops in NoLita/Little Italy, Chinatown; no other city matches NYC when it comes to quality cheap food either.

Last edited by christian.; 11-14-2009 at 10:29 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Whoops, meant to highlight only the "espresso" part. Seattle's reputation for being the "coffee city" is because of Starbucks and Seattle's Best, but that doesn't mean it's espresso king. There are as many coffee shops in Portland as there are in Seattle and Portland has just as many independent roasters. Seattle is a kind of a "has a coffee shop on every city block" type of city, but there are others.

Dude, get out more. Seattle (metro) is twice the size of the Pixlie City. Don't get me wrong, Portland is a great place.

And spare me the coffee history lesson. Starbucks and Stewart Brothers were an important part of the expansion of the coffee culture in Seattle. They get credit for that. However, neither are considered by serious coffee hounds as places they'd be caught dead in now.

The Vivace's, Cafe Vita's, Ladro, Vitorola,Diva, etc...those are the real espresso houses that matter.

Portland is a Seattle wanna be. Always has been.

Now Portland's microbrew scene, that's another story.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 PM

259 posts, read 543,467 times
Vegas and New Orleans....thesecare pretty much the most unique cities in the country LA sunny weather like Miami lol New York seems offers what Chi offers just in a mass quantity...but boston/philly are unique due to their outstanding american history

Old 11-14-2009, 10:19 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
A number of cities have aircraft carriers, battleships, destroyers, submarines, sailing ships etc. on display at maritime museums. But a couple are unique and one of a kind. Certainly the battleship USS Missouri standing guard over the remains of the USS Arizonia in Pearl Harbor is unique.

Probably the most unique of them all, however is in California. Long Beach is home to RMS Queen Mary, built in 1936. A living reminder from the golden days of the old passenger liners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City