Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Dallas Metro is nearly 11,000 sq miles . Philadelphias is 3,900 sq miles.What are you guys using to commute down there to justify a 11,000 sq mile metro? Rocketships.

Also How about the vacuuming parameter that is NYC. The city limits of Philadlephia and Trenton are 15 miles apart. Trenton to NY 70 miles. Trenton(Mercer County) is inexplicably a part of NYCs CMSA. Theres $50 M of GDP that should be in Philly thats not.
Dallas/ Fort Worth is much less centralized than Philadelphia. They do have two different city centers in the metro after all. Also, many of the major corporations and job centers are located in the suburbs. So, it's not like people are scaling the full length of the metro to go to work. Most people don't commute more than 45 min. to work.

I don't know why the would include Trenton with NYC instead of Philly, but either way, the GDP's are not that far are not that far apart.

As for importance, I would have to pick Dallas and I think the gap between it and Philly will continue to get bigger and bigger as time goes one. That city is growing like crazy and I don't see anything stopping it. As for where I would rather live, I would pick Dallas because I don't know that much about Philadelphia and whether or not it would suit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 11:36 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
The only "city" here is Philadelphia. Dallas does not have anything comparable to its urban neighborhoods, transit or structure.

To that end, I choose Philadelphia. It's the lifestyle I'm more familiar with and prefer to live. If I ever want a split level ranch, strip malls and freeways-- and in my old age, that plus mild weather may be more appealing-- then I'll choose Dallas.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:39 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Dallas-Fort Worth is the fastest growing Metro in the country and is considered a beta city
Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I don't know why the would include Trenton with NYC instead of Philly, but either way, the GDP's are not that far are not that far apart.
After some poking around Wikipedia, I´ve found out that Trenton used to be part of the Philly metro until 2000, when the census showed that more people living in Mercer country were traveling to the New York metro than the Philadelphia one. So there was a switch. Of course, that does leave out the GDP values of those living in Trenton who still work in the Philly area, so the numbers aren´t perfect, but more of Mercer county provides for NYC than Philly, so, there we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine
The only "city" here is Philadelphia. Dallas does not have anything comparable to its urban neighborhoods, transit or structure.

To that end, I choose Philadelphia. It's the lifestyle I'm more familiar with and prefer to live. If I ever want a split level ranch, strip malls and freeways-- and in my old age, that plus mild weather may be more appealing-- then I'll choose Dallas.
Preferences are just that - preferences. And Philadelphia is indeed for more urban than Dallas. But to say that there is no urban neighborhoods in Dallas is to show stunning ignorance, and in your case, with your choice of words, a disdain for Dallas that is clouding any objective assessment. You prefer Philadelphia, that is fine. There are plenty of reasons to do so. But Dallas is far from split level ranches without any urban neighborhoods.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Dallas at night

YouTube - Airplane ride around Downtown Dallas Skyline

Old 11-17-2009, 06:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
The Dallas Metro is nearly 11,000 sq miles . Philadelphias is 3,900 sq miles.What are you guys using to commute down there to justify a 11,000 sq mile metro? Rocketships.

Also How about the vacuuming parameter that is NYC. The city limits of Philadlephia and Trenton are 15 miles apart. Trenton to NY 70 miles. Trenton(Mercer County) is inexplicably a part of NYCs CMSA. Theres $50 M of GDP that should be in Philly thats not.
Dude. you just ignored what I posted. 5.5 million people live in 3,300 square miles in DFW. The other 800,000 live in the remaining land.

Its not nearly as sprwaling as you think.

So if you would like to keep makeing the same argument, at least be informed.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

You think there are no urban neighborhoods in Dallas??? What do you call Lakewood, Knox-Henderson, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Bishop Arts, etc.? Sure Philly is more urban. And Philly definately has better public transit. But all your showing is that you have such a dislike for Dallas that you would say anything to make any place else look better.

You like Philly better. Perfect. Alot of people do. But Dallas is alot more than what you are talking about.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 11-17-2009 at 06:45 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 06:44 AM

What we have to consider here too is that the DFW metroplex is growing faster than any other in the United States. As much as rainrock would love to argue that its because of the land area, its not. People are moving into the same 3,300 square miles that already inhabit between 5.3 and 5.5 million people. This are is Collin, Denton, Dallas, and Tarrant counties.

Another big difference (for better or worse) is that Dallas and DFW are changing drastically, Philly isnt. Its the same place its been for a while. Thats certainly not a bad thing on either level. Demographically, Hispanics and Asians are floodding into DFW while the white population is stagnant and african americans are actually leaving.

DFW Metropolitan Area Demographics

Dallas is also multi-polar. Philly isnt so much. Again niether is a bad or good thing. But in addition to Fort Worth, you have one suburb over 350,000 in Arlington and one subrub approaching 300,000 in Plano. Both are business centers in themselves. Even within the city of Dallas, its extremely multi-polar.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Your Gross Product Info is incorrect. This is the latest available data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis(US Commerce Dept). Even at MSA level, Dallas' GDP is considerably larger at this point.

8. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA $383.082 Billion
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area $379,863
Sherman-Denison, TX Metro Area $3,219

9. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA $351.680 Billion
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metro Area $331,897
Reading, PA Metro Area $14,838
Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ Metro Area $4,945

http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0909.pdf
I gave the source...go argue with them!.... .

Old 11-17-2009, 08:41 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
The catchment area is also considerably larger, like 3x or 4x the land area.

Reading, Trenton, Vineland, Allentown, Dover, Atlantic City, Lancaster all get included in Phillys MSA if Philadelphia were given the lax parameters of the sweeping upstart metroes like Dallas.GDP would be pushing $500M
Some posters .... are just argumentative.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City