Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Oh yes Texas is a great place to live and EVERYONE that visits complements on how friendly people are here. Even the places that many Texans consider "snooty," visitors complement on how nice people are there.

I don't really care, what list you use and I'm sure you where just trying to find a link to post and Wikipedia is fine just for a CD thread. Personally, I prefer Census numbers to foreign sources because the Census is a domestic and government run organization that would understand how the American metros operate and where to draw the lines for the metros. My theory is that many of these foriegn sources exclude some of the suburbs in Houston and Dallas because they seem displaced from the metros but their economy, jobs, and population is completely dependent on the main city. Their both very sprawled metros but a single metros none the less. I think the domestic sources would understand this better than foriegn.

IMO, all of the numbers that have been posted have showed the GDP of Philadelphia Dallas haven't been that far apart. I don't think it's a big enough difference to go through a huge argument about what the numbers "really" are. Either way, sorry Philly, but if the city is ahead of Dallas in GDP, it want be for long. The Dallas is growing like crazy.
I understand your point...I prefer census data too...but I cannot find a GDP census list by city...only growth rates or US total?? WIKI is far from perfect but they too list their references and most are reputable....and we all make mistakes/assumptions...including the census bureau. Look how we all cannot agree on CMSA boundaries...the census even changes it's own parameters.

The metro I was born in had counties stripped away to the tune of 250,000 people????.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Not when the officialy 10-year census data is 10 YEARS OLD. We get population estimates from the Census Bureau each year that, if not completely accurate, give us a good idea of the population changes. We all know these two cities are going in oppposite directions, so why use 10-year-old data when there is more current data available?
I think he means they are ESTIMATES...the most accurate information is really from the LAST CENSUS. But I have no problem with estimates but you know they are biased and built on assumptions which may or may not be valid...time will tell...like after the 2010 census.. .

Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hmm, so to my knowledge you've argued this with SF people, Atlanta people and now Dallas people.

Are you sure your not the zealous one?
Well, well, well if it isnt ol Montcliar.

The said individual who says Napa and Gilroy seperated by 111 miles (50 miles of it water) are part of the same metro, but Philadlephia and Trenton seperated by 15 miles of dense urbanity is not part of the same metro.

Take it down the street Montcliar.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I recall having this same discussion with the Atlanta zealots.

Guys, Denton Dallas Tarrant Collin Counties are basically unchartered and 900sq miles each. Philadlephia, Delaware Camden Counties are 130 sq miles and pretty much maxed out as far as growth potential. The newer suburban counties in metro Philly(Chester-Montgomery Bucks) do grow 8%-13% albeit much slower than Dallas. The newer Philly suburban counties most likely could grow faster if they wanted to. There is a huge preservation influence in the suburban Philly area which makes development incredibly difficult.

Keep in mind that the geographical differences of the 2 regions. Not to disparage the Dallas area but there really is nothing spectacular to prevent unnecessary growth. Its pretty flat, fairly boring landscape. On the otherhand the Pa suburbs are naturally gifted and the household median income levels show that. The Philly suburbs are not for entry level growth like Dallas and Atlanta, you aren't going to get a bunch of new "ham and egger" type growth in the Philly suburbs, its not encouraged or wanted. Not that I necessarily agree with that mindset.

Philly suburbs its not about quantity, its all about quality. I'm extremely happy that Chester County is growing 11% and not 50% like the Texas counties.It would be absolutely criminal to carve up the Pa countryside

Valley Forge- 18 miles W of Center City Philly

Chester Springs
Saying Denton, Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin county are "uncharted" is quite a bit of an exaggeration. To everything else, So? What's your point? If your saying that Philadelphia on average has a higher density than Dallas, we all know that.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Oh yes Texas is a great place to live and EVERYONE that visits complements on how friendly people are here. Even the places that many Texans consider "snooty," visitors complement on how nice people are there.

I don't really care, what list you use and I'm sure you where just trying to find a link to post and Wikipedia is fine just for a CD thread. Personally, I prefer Census numbers to foreign sources because the Census is a domestic and government run organization that would understand how the American metros operate and where to draw the lines for the metros. My theory is that many of these foriegn sources exclude some of the suburbs in Houston and Dallas because they seem displaced from the metros but their economy, jobs, and population is completely dependent on the main city. Their both very sprawled metros but a single metros none the less. I think the domestic sources would understand this better than foriegn.

IMO, all of the numbers that have been posted have showed the GDP of Philadelphia Dallas haven't been that far apart. I don't think it's a big enough difference to go through a huge argument about what the numbers "really" are. Either way, sorry Philly, but if the city is ahead of Dallas in GDP, it want be for long. The Dallas is growing like crazy.
Still an estimate...I agree the cities are about even in GDP.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Dallas isn't a City, just a large suburb.

Oh and 20-16 and 5>0.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I think he means they are ESTIMATES...the most accurate information is really from the LAST CENSUS. But I have no problem with estimates but you know they are biased and built on assumptions which may or may not be valid...time will tell...like after the 2010 census.. .
Well 10 year old numbers are not very accurate. The 2008/2009 census estimates would be more accurate than the 2000 Census.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
You have a tendency to start flame wars and then pretend like ur some innocent angel. Yup.

Furthermore, Wikipedia is not a credible source and anyone who cites their stats really needs to verify where Wikipedia got it from. Otherwise a cloud of suspicion hangs over it.

In any event, your data on Gross Product was totally inaccurate and bogus.

Philadelphia, neither at MSA or CSA level, does NOT hav a larger GDP than Dallas.

This is not a matter of opinion.
I read another thread where a poster(unnamed) was acting in a condescending manner and the thread was ruined.

I'll let the moderators and my fellow posters decide who starts things up.

After all you implied I was either lying or making up data, even though I had my links posted. Need more rope...go for it!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Hmm, so to my knowledge you've argued this with SF people, Atlanta people and now Dallas people.

Are you sure your not the zealous one?
TRUE COLORS!!!!! ...the proof is in the pudding...I'll let the posters decide!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Saying Denton, Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin county are "uncharted" is quite a bit of an exaggeration. To everything else, So? What's your point? If your saying that Philadelphia on average has a higher density than Dallas, we all know that.
By Philadlephia standards? Yes the Dallas area is unchartered territory thats primed for growth.Philaldephia had its Dallas like spurt 180 years ago. In 1950 the entire metro population of Dallas was 700k as opposed to Philadlephias 4.3 M.

The Philadlephia area has found its equilibrium. The urban parts of the area are maxed out, cant fit any more people. The suburban areas are very picky about who and what they want to be part of their future. It makes for a slow growing region, one day the same will happen in Dallas.

Constant growth is not sustainable especially in this country. Too big and too many future options, too many new upstart cities on the horizon. 120 years from now there will a similar argument on city-data about how some fledgling area in NC or Okla is cleaning Dallas clock in growth.

Growth is irrelevant its the type of growth which is important.

Last edited by rainrock; 11-17-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City