Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:36 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
5. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
9. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA $351.680 Billion

Well, your about 1 Million less than the Bay Area now. And this is one gap that will only get wider with time as we have one region that is on the cutting edge of the global economy and continues to attract the best and brightest from all over the world.

And we have another region that is struggling to stand out and have an identity that is relevant in the 21st century.
Thats one perspective.

Another is the fact that in the past decade or so you have combined 2 middle of the road metroes(Sf+SJ), stamped a fancy title on it and boosted your figures to try to become relevant with NYC,LA.Chi and Philadlephia. Philadlephia meanwhile strong as steady as ever gets penned in like a raging pit bull.

Philadlephia> GDP than SF-Oak-Fremont
Philadelphia> GDP than SJ/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara

Despite the fact that the some of the welthiest counties in the usa (Hunterdon/Mercer) which are literally 1/4 mile across the Delaware River from the heart of metro Philly are inexplicably not included in metro Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Yet Texas has kept it's conservative values. It hasn't turned into a swing state like Florida.

Texas is a red state. Blue cities maybe, but it's a red state. Rural and the burbs are solid red and the cities (other than Austin) are not nearly as blue as cities are elsewhere.

That's just the way I like it. There are more than enough blue states...Cali and NY for sure, FL is probably going to go blue, NC as well, VA maybe, GA is borderline....not to mention the NE and West Coast. Keep Texas a red state.
Actually more Texans are registered as democrats, but the problem is they don't go vote. People get the perception that Texas is this big red state but that is far from the case.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

We can handle it. Philly could not.

Such is the nature of our strong economy. We are accustomed to the ebb and flows of economic trends. We do not sit and watch the world pass us by like some places.
What you are accustomed to is being squashed together like fire ants waiting around for the next seismic castrophe and paying a premium price for the privilege. The Median Household Income numbers of metro SF/ metro SJ and metro Philadlephia are astonishingly close given the disparity in what you need to spend in real estate/cost of living necessities. But the bubble looks like it has burst out there with Foreclosure rates 200%-320% higher, real estate values plummeting 30%-40%.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Actually more Texans are registered as democrats, but the problem is they don't go vote. People get the perception that Texas is this big red state but that is far from the case.
3.5million Texans voted for Obama. The thing is Texas has LARGE, LARGE swaths of RURAL land, so it skews the appearance, to make it look like ALL 25million Texans vote Republican. When the truth of the matter is EVERY states rural areas vote Republican and tend to be right wing conservatives. But Texas has VAST(and arguably the MOST) areas of rural land, so it gives the state that illusion. YES Texas is a red state, BUT the appearance of Texas on election maps doesn't tell the WHOLE story, and is VERY misleading. If one who has NEVER been to Texas looked at an Election Map, they would think EVERY single Texan voted Republican. It would be VERY interesting to see how a Texas Election Map would fair, if the state was only cut down to the Texas urban triangle.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Unfortunately, Texas has a very low voter turn out rate (even compared to the rest of the country) and Republicans here have a very high voter turn out rate here. So Texas isn't as red as it seems, just many of the people who are politically active here are Republican.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Unfortunately, Texas has a very low voter turn out rate (even compared to the rest of the country) and Republicans here have a very high voter turn out rate here. So Texas isn't as red as it seems, just many of the people who are politically active here are Republican.
True.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
3.5million Texans voted for Obama. The thing is Texas has LARGE, LARGE swaths of RURAL land, so it skews the appearance, to make it look like ALL 25million Texans vote Republican. When the truth of the matter is EVERY states rural areas vote Republican and tend to be right wing conservatives. But Texas has VAST(and arguably the MOST) areas of rural land, so it gives the state that illusion. YES Texas is a red state, BUT the appearance of Texas on election maps doesn't tell the WHOLE story, and is VERY misleading. If one who has NEVER been to Texas looked at an Election Map, they would think EVERY single Texan voted Republican. It would be VERY interesting to see how a Texas Election Map would fair, if the state was only cut down to the Texas urban triangle.
I know the Fort Bend County, which is a suburban county of Texas, almost went Obama last year (McCain only won it by about 3%) and I believe Dallas had one or two suburban counties that have similar story. Of course, Dallas County, Harris County (Houston), Travis County (Austin), all of the counties along the boarder, and I believe Tarrant County (Fort Worth) and Baxter County (San Antonio) as well all went to Obama. If Democrats didn't have such a low voter turnout in Texas, it would probably be a swing state.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Exactly. I made this same statement a while back and people still continued to call Texas conservative. I'll admit you have lots of Texans who are very conservative, but you also have lots of Texans who are democratic. Basing our states political beliefs just off the presidential election is not a good way of determining what our state is.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly. I made this same statement a while back and people still continued to call Texas conservative. I'll admit you have lots of Texans who are very conservative, but you also have lots of Texans who are democratic. Basing our states political beliefs just off the presidential election is not a good way of determining what our state is.
Exactly, especially when you have HUNDREDS of tiny little counties throughout a state THAT big. It makes Texas look more red then it really is. It's VERY politically misleading.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Somebody said that Florida, North Carolina and Virginia will mostly stay blue. I disagree. Those states could very easily go back to being red. These states are 50/50 and in the very near future (10-20 years), Texas and Georgia will join them.

As for Dallas and Philly. I love both cities. I love the promixity that Philly has as well as the urban grit it has. I love Dallas in that it is exciting seeing how it is developing and view how dense it can become. Philadelphia is on the rebound and Dallas best days are still ahead of them. Toss up for me. I pick Philly because again, the proximity and urban features it has tops Dallas but could find myself living in either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City