Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline looks better?
Dallas 218 33.44%
San Francisco 434 66.56%
Voters: 652. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas

Is that the infamous grassy knoll at the bottom of this pic?

Good pics btw

Old 12-12-2009, 11:02 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Good pics btw
Thanks!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:22 AM

631 posts, read 1,575,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Good pics btw
That would in fact be Dealey Plaza with the infamous Book Depository. There's something about standing less than 10 feet from where Kennedy was killed that makes me feel...like...heck i dunno what word to use but you guys get my point right?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Here are some outstanding SF shots by pbo31 at Flickr

Old 12-12-2009, 01:15 PM

184 posts, read 571,391 times
San Francisco's skyline is really bland since most buildings are short and brown boxes. Dallas skyline has more to it and has more modern and attractive buildings than San Francisco's skyline. I still voted for San Francisco because it does have a much bigger and denser skyline which is why I think it is more impressive and plust the location and scenery helps out too.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
SF looks good if you don't zoom in to street level.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:59 PM

593 posts, read 1,761,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
SF looks good if you don't zoom in to street level.
This makes no sense. SF's skyline is far better at street level than it is from a distance (the opposite of Seattle, by the way). At street level it is easily the 3rd best skyline in the country. From a distance it's debatable.

SF has the kind of skyline, when people are in it, they say "Wow, this is far more impressive than I imagined". I honestly have no idea where you got the idea that it's worse at street level.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
This makes no sense. SF's skyline is far better at street level than it is from a distance (the opposite of Seattle, by the way). At street level it is easily the 3rd best skyline in the country. From a distance it's debatable.

SF has the kind of skyline, when people are in it, they say "Wow, this is far more impressive than I imagined". I honestly have no idea where you got the idea that it's worse at street level.
I understand where Lake Wooder is coming from. If you get a up close look at SF skyline it is very bland and boring. The building have no flavor to them. All I see is a bunch of concrete boxes. The only thing that SF has on Dallas is scenery. Other than that Dallas winds hand down. Wish my home town of Fort Worth had at least half the skyline of Dallas.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:28 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I understand where Lake Wooder is coming from. If you get a up close look at SF skyline it is very bland and boring. The building have no flavor to them. All I see is a bunch of concrete boxes. The only thing that SF has on Dallas is scenery. Other than that Dallas winds hand down. Wish my home town of Fort Worth had at least half the skyline of Dallas.
I dont think you actually understood where Lake Wooder was coming from. He said zooming in on STREET LEVEL. And you think he just meant zooming in, as in on the buildings. Or maybe, i dont understand, but Lake Wooder is wrong either way. SF is pedestrian-friendly, and actually has people walking in it and doing things, something im sure Dallas doest posses. Zooming in on the streets, its clear there is more to see and do, than there is in Dallas.

And based on street level activity, SF crushes Dallas.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:31 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post

Exactly! It was in the 60s and 70s that the term "Manhattanization" was coined in San Francisco.
Manhattanization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fast forward to 2009 and SF owns the category when it comes to neighborhoods:
America's Favorite Cities 2009 - Categories - Quality of Life & Visitor Experience - Noteworthy neighborhoods - Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2009/category/16/subcategory/80 - broken link)
Dallas ranks third to last.

And comes away with top 3 billing in the skyline/views category:
America's Favorite Cities 2009 - Categories - Quality of Life & Visitor Experience - Skyline/views - Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2009/category/16/subcategory/83 - broken link)
Dallas came in second to last.

Top 4 in people watching:
America's Favorite Cities 2009 - Categories - Quality of Life & Visitor Experience - People-watching - Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2009/category/16/subcategory/90 - broken link)
Whereas, Dallas comes in dead last.

The street scene in SF is absolutely electric, 2nd only to Manhattan in the US. That's precisely what density offers, and it'll only get better.

I can't see how Dallas is or can be perceived by anyone (even die hard boosters) as better at the street level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City