Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Nice picture.

Personally, I think Staten Island is underrated. I realize that it is mostly suburban and so some people look down on the Borough. But, I would say that about 90% of the people, including most of the NY-NJ Metropolitian Area, that attack Staten Island have never really seen much of the Island.

At the very least, if Staten Island was a independent city, it would be recognized for having a great park system that is considerably larger than many other city park systems.
I'm always amazed at just how large Staten Island is, how "far away" it seems from the city, and how undeveloped a large part of the island is - especially compared to the rest of the city.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:17 PM

26 posts, read 59,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Not getting into this fight - but both of those pictures could be the Chicago area in a heartbeat.
No, not at all. Let's not go into this conversation. I know Westerners must work with all they got, but a lake isn't comparable to an being on the coast..being an ocean. It is a completely different thing, and I'm sorry but Lake Michigan doesn't compare. Beaches in the NYC area are simply superior (partly because they're actual beaches!).

Long Island:

http://media.sothebysrealty.com/SIRImages/0054936_800x600_W1_PMAS.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by evmafioso; 04-25-2011 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evmafioso View Post
No, not at all. Let's not go into this conversation. I know Westerners must work with all they got, but a lake isn't comparable to an being on the coast..being an ocean. It is a completely different thing, and I'm sorry but Lake Michigan doesn't compare. Beaches in the NYC area are simply superior (partly because they're actual beaches!).
I've lived next to the ocean, and I have lived next to a great lake. They really aren't that different, most of it is in your head. The ocean in Miami is nicer than Lake Michigan, on the other hand Lake Michigan is nicer than the ocean in Maine or the pacific northwest because you can swim in it.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 PM

639 posts, read 1,290,250 times
Both Chicago and NYC are great cities. The #1 and #2 in the nation. Either one has more to offer than can be enjoyed in a lifetime.

Case closed.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I've lived next to the ocean, and I have lived next to a great lake. They really aren't that different, most of it is in your head. The ocean in Miami is nicer than Lake Michigan, on the other hand Lake Michigan is nicer than the ocean in Maine or the pacific northwest because you can swim in it.
But we are not comparing the coast in Maine are we? Unlike the North or West coast, the water in NYC is swimmable due to the warm Gulf Stream current.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM

674 posts, read 1,056,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evmafioso View Post

Long Island:

Actual beaches? - A beach is any coastal shoreline, an ocean vs. a great lake doesn't make a difference.

Comparing the ocean to a great lake by saying "it's a completely different thing" isn't the happy meal vs. five star dinner you're making it out to be. It's more of a big glass vs. little glass comparison - and at the end of the day you can drink out of both just fine.

After a body of water gets to a certain size, there really isn't much of a difference with regard to experiencing it on a beach or on a boat. Unless you're shark fishing or deep sea diving, what's the difference?

Furthermore:

Lake Michigan

All royalty free, or creative commons images.

I'd say those look like actual beaches. And I'd have to also disagree about NYC area beaches being superior. Have you ever been to a beach on Lake Michigan?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,088 times
Great pics. NYC can't match the combination of urban environment and beaches/shoreline of Chicago.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,951,759 times
To me the beaches in both places are a joke but I will tell you from experience that the beaches along Lake Shore Drive in Chicago are widely utilized and an integral part of the city's culture. Now I know that Manhattan is close to beaches in other states, other Burroughs, and LI, but I think Chicago gets the edge for having them right off of the DT/Highrise district of the city.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 AM

765 posts, read 1,861,581 times
When it comes to beaches, Chicago easily wins over New York.

Chicago has arguably one of the most beautiful waterfronts in America. The beaches in Chicago are far better utilized than those in NYC. Look at the beautiful high-rises and parks all along the lakeshore...it is stunning. During the summer, Chicago's beach vibe easily surprasses those of NYC. You find find thousands and thousands of people walking, jogging, tanning, swimming, and playing volleyball all along Chicago's lakeshore. Plus that gorgeous skyline backdrop just makes it even more amazing.

Most New Yorkers leave their city to go to the beach. They simply head to Point Pleasant, Belmar, and other areas of New Jersey. Long Island beaches are nice, but they are nowhere as exciting as Chicago's lakeshore.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,523,609 times
If you want to drive, sure the larger AREA around NYC will have more/better beaches. But as far as beaches directly adjacent to the CITY, Chicago takes the cake easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City