Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
I also know that Atlanta has plenty of delicious Jamaican restaurants. Pretty much Atlanta, DFW, and Houston has everything that anyone can want in a city. IMHO
And thats the moral of this thread. You can get just about anything you want any of those places.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The key word in my posts was "Mexican", I never said Latino or Hispanic. If we are talking Latino or Hispainc, I belive the figure is closer to just under 600,000.
Oh, I know. I've seen estimates of upwards of 750,000 for the total Hispanic numbers as of now - but we'll just have to wait.

It's all good, though. You don't have a history of making ridiculous statements. Quite the opposite, actually.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
To an extent. DFW has alot of Salvadorans and Hondurans as well. But while DFW's Mexican population has always been large, other central American residents didnt start coming here until about 20 years ago. The Salvadoran population here exploded in the last 15 years.

But yes, Houston does have the largest central American population.

Its funny to look at Houston and DFW's Mexican populations side by side. Metro Houston has about 50,000 more Mexicans overall, but DFW has about 50,000 more Mexicans that were born in Mexico. To me that says that the Mexican community in Houston is more established and the Mexican community in DFW exploded faster more recently.
Makes sense to me. Houston is a lot closer to the border than Dallas is, as well as being closer to the traditionally Latino dominated areas of the state such as South Texas, SA, etc.

I know you said that you've worked for the airline industry. I hear that Cubans from Miami that work for a particular AAirline (that has a large hub in Miami) have been moving to the DFW area quite a bit due to the high cost of living in South Florida. I don't know if it is a massive en masse type of move, but that wouldn't surprise me though.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
And thats the moral of this thread. You can get just about anything you want any of those places.

I think we can conclude that a move from Dallas to Atlanta or vice-versa would essentially be a lateral move, give or take a few things.

FWIW, I did get into contact with a friend of mine on Facebook who was born and raised in Atlanta that recently moved to Ft. Worth. I asked her a few questions about the area, and here is some of what she said:

"It is similar to the Atlanta 10 years ago. Atlanta weather is much more moderate and Texas terrain is very flat. There is a lot going on here and always something going on here."

"Dallas isn't boring. I don't think it is really a club city though. There are quite a few cultural activities to go see and do. I like the professionals here. I think it is a great group to mingle here. There are also very active young professionals groups like the urban league. Overall, I think there are great schools, great talent and great opportunities offered in the area."

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Um, yes. You were very MUCH saying otherwise.

Taco Cabana? Really?
really? I said that? please show me where I SAID that the latino community in atlanta was nonexistent...oh but wait. you can't show me, because i never said that

the reality of the situation is that you were up in arms the minute you saw someone say something about atlanta that YOU didn't like so basically got all defensive and commenced to talk out the side of your neck, so it wouldn't matter whether i said it or not. because in your mind, i did

Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
really? I said that? please show me where I SAID that the latino community in atlanta was nonexistent...oh but wait. you can't show me, because i never said that

the reality of the situation is that you were up in arms the minute you saw someone say something about atlanta that YOU didn't like so basically got all defensive and commenced to talk out the side of your neck, so it wouldn't matter whether i said it or not. because in your mind, i did
Dude, you just don't get it. You made more than a few completely idiotic statements. You can't erase them - they are there for all to see.

I have a real problem with people who have no idea what they are talking about making stupid, blanket statements. You have been proven wrong by several people. Why continue to make yourself look even worse?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Just stop. You've been proven wrong, badly.

At this point you're just embarrassing yourself.
lol who proved me wrong?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Dude, you just don't get it. You made more than a few completely idiotic statements. You can't erase them - they are there for all to see.

I have a real problem with people who have no idea what they are talking about making stupid, blanket statements. You have been proven wrong by several people. Why continue to make yourself look even worse?
if i'm wrong, then why are you the only one resorting to insults? have you run out of retorts? could this be a desperate attempt to make yourself look like you're right after the hole fell thru your argument?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
lol who proved me wrong?
Oh, just everyone that's posted since you initially spewed your woefully untrue opinions of Atlanta's Latino community - or lack of one, in your view. Again, you are the one who "heard" it was hard to find decent Mexican food here.

Again, everything you stated is there in black and white. It doesn't go away just because you wish it to.

I would say that at this point, you are derailing this thread without contributing anything of substance.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I think we can conclude that a move from Dallas to Atlanta or vice-versa would essentially be a lateral move, give or take a few things.

FWIW, I did get into contact with a friend of mine on Facebook who was born and raised in Atlanta that recently moved to Ft. Worth. I asked her a few questions about the area, and here is some of what she said:

"It is similar to the Atlanta 10 years ago. Atlanta weather is much more moderate and Texas terrain is very flat. There is a lot going on here and always something going on here."

"Dallas isn't boring. I don't think it is really a club city though. There are quite a few cultural activities to go see and do. I like the professionals here. I think it is a great group to mingle here. There are also very active young professionals groups like the urban league. Overall, I think there are great schools, great talent and great opportunities offered in the area."
whoa wait

was she saying dfw is atlanta 10 yrs ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City