Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:23 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Check out this post and this post for starters.

Those post address the "black mecca" and how it was blown out of proportion. I asked 9 simple questions about blacks moving to Atlanta and Dallas //www.city-data.com/forum/12468762-post2050.html. I'm not asking about the "black mecca" or do blacks go here because they think that they could be successful. The only thing mentioned in that post that comes even close to answering a question is the statement, "Houston and Dallas have attracted a large number of African Americans for the same reason--being that they're both major Southern cities. The big difference among the two and Atlanta is that Atlanta is more centrally located in the South; thus making it more convenient for some folks to migrate here without having to be too far from their families."

You could have given your opinion and answered the questions in a minute or less, yet you would rather go back and dig up old posts the skirt all the way around what I'm asking.

Thanks for taking time to answer some of it though, Deacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What makes you think that anyone actually knows the answers to these questions? I would think that each of your questions would have to be answered indivdually by those in question...no one here can answer for other people.
I didn't expect anyone to be able to answer these factually. The only person that can do that is the person moving. I'm trying to get an idea on how everyone see's this trend individually with going back and forth or taking sides. It seems that it's easy to slam and argue with the poster who feels the opposite way, but impossible to actually listen to other's position or even state why they support their own.

I figured it would be easier to just put it in a simple Q&A format, but apparently nobody seems to get it or they just don't want to.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Those post address the "black mecca" and how it was blown out of proportion. I asked 9 simple questions about blacks moving to Atlanta and Dallas //www.city-data.com/forum/12468762-post2050.html. I'm not asking about the "black mecca" or do blacks go here because they think that they could be successful. The only thing mentioned in that post that comes even close to answering a question is the statement, "Houston and Dallas have attracted a large number of African Americans for the same reason--being that they're both major Southern cities. The big difference among the two and Atlanta is that Atlanta is more centrally located in the South; thus making it more convenient for some folks to migrate here without having to be too far from their families."

You could have given your opinion and answered the questions in a minute or less, yet you would rather go back and dig up old posts the skirt all the way around what I'm asking.

Thanks for taking time to answer some of it though, Deacon.

I didn't expect anyone to be able to answer these factually. The only person that can do that is the person moving. I'm trying to get an idea on how everyone see's this trend individually with going back and forth or taking sides. It seems that it's easy to slam and argue with the poster who feels the opposite way, but impossible to actually listen to other's position or even state why they support their own.

I figured it would be easier to just put it in a simple Q&A format, but apparently nobody seems to get it or they just don't want to.
Dude, come on. You're not stupid. Questions don't have to be laid out in a Q&A format for you to recognize the answers and the questions are you asking can all be summed up with the ultimate question that we've beaten to death which asks, "Why is Atlanta considered a Black mecca?" I assume you've graduated HS, so you should know how to think critically.

You asked, "What draws blacks to Atlanta in particular if the same options exist elsewhere?" In one of the older posts that I linked to, south-to-west stated, "Atlanta is a black mecca and it will always be a black mecca given the fact that it's located in the heart of the Deep South--which is the American ancestral homeland for most African Americans...pure and simple. Not only that, Atlanta has several prominent historically black colleges, it was the headquarters of MLK's SCLC, and it has a very prominent place in black history. Additionally it's the commercial hub of the South--logically making it an ideal place for a black mecca." You mean to tell me you couldn't recognize this answer to your question just because it didn't follow your personally preferred simplistic format? C'mon dude, I mean really...

As for your second and third questions, how in the world can that be answered here on C-D? And aside from that, what is an "average Black"?

As for the fourth question, it depends if you're in an industry that has more clout in Atlanta than elsewhere and your personal connections. And again, I assume that you're smart enough to know that answer yourself.

Your fifth question is answered, once again, in south-to-west's response and my response that I linked to as well.

I don't think you really even wanted answers to those questions because, again, I pegged you for being smarter than that--unless you genuinely don't know much about Atlanta and its history, in which case, you wouldn't be participating as much in this discussion as you have been.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
The forecast for Dallas for the next week is mid/upper 60s to low 70s and sunny. Is the winter weather typically nicer in Dallas than in Atlanta?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:14 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The forecast for Dallas for the next week is mid/upper 60s to low 70s and sunny. Is the winter weather typically nicer in Dallas than in Atlanta?
This is just a guess, but I'd probably say Dallas is on average a bit milder in the winter than Atlanta.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:03 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,348 times
Yeah it's still going down in the 30s at night but in the 50s in the day

Old 01-16-2010, 02:47 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Those post address the "black mecca" and how it was blown out of proportion. I asked 9 simple questions about blacks moving to Atlanta and Dallas //www.city-data.com/forum/12468762-post2050.html. I'm not asking about the "black mecca" or do blacks go here because they think that they could be successful.

I don't know about the rest of the room, but the main reason why I didn't feel like answering the questions is because they've been addressed throughout this thread and I honestly don't feel like spoon feeding regurgitated information that has already been addressed over and over again. We're mostly adults here, and I'm not one to hold someones hand when I know that they're intelligent and capable enough of doing it themselves (in other words, you're all right with me). Matter of fact, I addressed a couple of your previous posts regarding the whole "Why are Blacks attracted to Atlanta" questions before. Were the answers not to your satisfaction or they weren't what you wanted to hear or believe?

Like I said earlier, I think it would've been better if you started another thread instead of
bringing it up repeatedly and essentially repeatedly beating a dead horse. Personally, giving myself a Tabasco enema or rubbing my intimate body parts with sandpaper would be a lot more constructive and a better use of my time than to go around in circles again.

Last edited by grindin; 01-16-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 02:56 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This is just a guess, but I'd probably say Dallas is on average a bit milder in the winter than Atlanta.
Atlanta's setting in the Appalachian Piedmont does help block a lot of the colder systems, but we are still subject to a lot of cold snaps.

Dallas seems to get quite a few cold snaps and ice storms in the winter because of their location on the plains. But since it's a bit further south than Atlanta, they do seem to have more warm days than we do. It seems Atlanta gets the southern extension of the Mid-Atlantic systems, but we tend to be about 5-10 degrees warmer than say, DC.

Summers are MUCH hotter on average in Dallas, but Atlanta is more humid.

Who gets the worst thunderstorms?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:00 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Yeah it's still going down in the 30s at night but in the 50s in the day
Same as the week's forecast for Atlanta.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Same as the week's forecast for Atlanta.
He was talking about Atlantas forecast.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Atlanta's setting in the Appalachian Piedmont does help block a lot of the colder systems, but we are still subject to a lot of cold snaps.

Dallas seems to get quite a few cold snaps and ice storms in the winter because of their location on the plains. But since it's a bit further south than Atlanta, they do seem to have more warm days than we do. It seems Atlanta gets the southern extension of the Mid-Atlantic systems, but we tend to be about 5-10 degrees warmer than say, DC.

Summers are MUCH hotter on average in Dallas, but Atlanta is more humid.

Who gets the worst thunderstorms?
Apparently Dallas gets a lot of hail because there are a lot of carports built over parking spaces here for that reason. Dallas is also located within "Tornado Alley" so I would think Dallas gets more violent storms, but I think Atlanta gets storms more often. Those afternoon pop-up thunderstorms are famous in the southeast. I'd say Florida gets these the most though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City