Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You do realize that Phillip Johnson is the architech for many of Atlanta's most famous buildings?

One of I.M. Pei earliest buidings was in Atlanta.
(Newer one.)
Yes, I know that Philip Johnson designed few skyscrapers in Atlanta. He has designed skyscrapers for cities all over the country, so it's really not that unique to have a few Philip Johnson buildings. However, Johnson has a long history with Dallas and Houston (Houston especially) which is unique. I think the only city that has more Philip Johnson buildings than those two cities are New York and maybe Boston. Also many of his most iconic buildings are in Texas. You have the Water Gardens in Fort Worth, Thanks-Giving Square in Dallas, and the Pennzoil Building, Transco Tower, the Rothko Museum, Gerald Hines College of Architecture in Houston.

Besides, are you sure Johnson actually designed those Atlanta skyscrapers or was he just a consultant? There is a difference. It's like giving a producer credit for directing the movie. I know he was doing a lot of consulting work at the time Atlanta went through its skyscraper boom.

Quote:
Richard Mier and the Renzo Piano expansion of High Art Museum

Some of Atlanta older treasures:
The Fox and The
Georgian Terrace Hotel across

The Candler Building

In 2007 The AIA listed 100 American Architectural treasures.The High Museum was listed.The only other building in Texas listed was the State Capitol Building in Austin.
Oh yeah I forgot about the High Museum. I'm not a huge Richard Meier fan, but I really do like that building. You know he also designed the Rachofsky House in Dallas?

I know Renzo Piano is also designing the expansions to the Kimbell Art Museum and he also designed the Manil Museum in Houston.

Last edited by wpmeads; 01-27-2010 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Fort Worth Water Gardens

* I dont believe tourist are allowed in the actual fountain anymore ever since the young girl and her family from Chicago all drowned in the pool.

Fort Worth Water Gardens - Architecture in Downtown Fort Worth

Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth Water Gardens

* I dont believe tourist are allowed in the actual fountain anymore ever since the young girl and her family from Chicago all drowned in the pool.

It kind of sucks that that happened. I really like the Water Gardens. I think it's Philip Johnson's best piece of architecture.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth Water Gardens

Phillip Johnson was great but his stuff is not my favourite.This is my favourite in Atlanta

I also forgot to add that the Flatiron Building 1897 in Atlanta pre-dates the one in New York.It generally is considered historically significant in is construction and design.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Publix is pretty much in all of the metro areas of SC...15 in Greenville-Spartanburg; 11 in Charleston; 7 in Hilton Head and SC area of Savannah; 2 in the SC area of Augusta; and 9 in Columbia, including this very cool store historic Confederate Armory building in downtown Columbia:

Brick-Publix-SC on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28019357@N05/2613972371/ - broken link)
That's crazy. Publix has to be one of the most(if not the most) architecturally diverse Supermarkets in the US. Here are 2 pics of a Publix on South Beach Miami:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lfu/3239413612/ (broken link)

http://www.keenecon.com/projects/pro..._Bay_front.JPG

It's a VERY Jetson-like design.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Phillip Johnson was great but his stuff is not my favourite.This is my favourite in Atlanta

I also forgot to add that the Flatiron Building 1897 in Atlanta pre-dates the one in New York.It generally is considered historically significant in is construction and design.
Do you know who designed the first building? Isn't that in Buckhead? I keep forgetting about Buckhead in conversations about Atlanta architecture or skylines. I'm not a that crazy about the skyscrapers in midtown and uptown but Buckhead looks pretty nice from what I've seen (although I've never been there). It reminds me of a mix between TMC and the new skyscrapers in Austin.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Do you know who designed the first building? Isn't that in Buckhead? I keep forgetting about Buckhead in conversations about Atlanta architecture or skylines. I'm not a that crazy about the skyscrapers in midtown and uptown but Buckhead looks pretty nice from what I've seen (although I've never been there). It reminds me of a mix between TMC and the new skyscrapers in Austin.
No, the 'gull-wing' building (Symphony Tower) is at 14th and Peachtree in Midtown.

Google Image Result for http://farm1.static.flickr.com/227/482741168_53e4efcbf9.jpg

Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, the 'gull-wing' building (Symphony Tower) is at 14th and Peachtree in Midtown.

Google Image Result for http://farm1.static.flickr.com/227/482741168_53e4efcbf9.jpg
This and the IBM tower are two of my favorite buildings. I love how Atlanta puts detail into a lot of its buildings. Dallas has a more abstract contemporary art type feel to its builings with lots of glass and angles. My favorite Dallas building is the Fountain Place tower by I.M. Pei.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
My favorite Dallas building is the Fountain Place tower by I.M. Pei.
Did you know that Fountain Place was supposed to be twin buildings facing each other?

Fountain Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
This and the IBM tower are two of my favorite buildings. I love how Atlanta puts detail into a lot of its buildings.
Agreed. I also like the Sovereign in Buckhead.

Google Image Result for http://buckheadrealestateblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Soverign-Condos-Atlanta-Buckhead.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City