Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:42 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
...and nowhere does it say that ATLANTA IS PROMOTING IT SELF TOWARDS BLACKS, ATLANTA IS PUSHING THE BLACK MECCA DOWN PEOPLES THROAT.

Every comment that I've seen from a Texas poster refers to people outside Atlanta seeing it that way, or that it's portrayed on television/radio that way.
What part of that do you not get? Won't the 3-4 (it's always the same group) of you let the defensiveness down for just 30 seconds to read. You all never read, just jump to conclusions, assume or just straight up reword an entire paragraph. Then have the nerve to think C-D is out to get you all. No, beacoup people just get tired of dealing with it. Even Atlanta posters have started seperating themselves from the other Atlanta posters because they don't read/listen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you still think that you see this "claim" floating around the thread then just leave it alone.
You can't change a person's opinion about something until they choose to

except reality and you definitely can't change it if their opinion is a figment of
your imagination. (Actually you can, you just have to realize that it's all in your
head).

^after rereading this, I'm quite sure I just waisted my
time
no you didn't waste your time with me because I don't follow stereotypes and what other people say.. I wish eveyone would leave it alone

Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
What is DFW's Perimeter Mall?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Yeah so that's why Houston has more flights to Mexico then any other American city. There PLENTY of Mexican ties Mexican cultural influences in this part of Texas. I believe there are well over half a million people of Mexican decent living in Houston.
why are people constantly taking my posts out of context?

i never said houston didn't have any cultural ties to mexico. i said it doesn't have the same kind of ties that cities like el paso and san antonio do

simply having a large hispanic population is not the same as having deep roots in mexican heritage with old spanish structures and historical landmarks in the city. an estimated 400,000 of the hispanics in metro houston alone are believed to be illegal immigrants. that's not the same thing

Quote:
The Aztec Empire didn't expand to present day Texas. Any Aztec influence in architecture is going to be and indirect influence from Mexican architecture which heavily influenced by Spanish, Pueblo, and Aztec.

Yeah I know. We had 20 page conversation over this EXACT same topic earlier in this thread.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
NorthPark and Lenox/Phillips
Dallas Galleria and Mall o
North Park and lenox Phipps Plaza( if those 2 were put together as one mall)

Galleria and Perimeter mall

Highland Village and Streets of Buckhead ( whenever it opens )

MAll Of GA is Boring only there I like is Nordtroms and H&M thats it

Old 02-07-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Sometimes, it does get corny and played out here in Atlanta.

Well thats your opinion for some it doesnt get played out I know not for me it doesnt. ANything can get played out if you constantly doing the same thing everyweekend

Old 02-07-2010, 10:22 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's great and all, but nothing your saying is going to change people's perceptions of Atlanta. Majority of what is portrayed in the media revolving around Atlanta is black-centric; it could be either a bad or a good thing.

You can't argue with that because that's just how it is. America has had the Black Mecca stuff pushed down their throats about Atlanta that many people in this country do believe Atlanta lacks other minority groups outside of the African American race.

Sorry, but Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, and New York are known for more than just a city for Latinos. Each having strong history citing around other minority groups.

You think all of this "Pro Black" image that people keep throwing at Atlanta is crazy because you live there; just like I think it's crazy when people say Houston is boring or lacks attractions. However, I know that these type of things are due to the lack of media or false advertising. No need to get worked up over it; life goes on.
You are delusional if you think most people from NYC or LA having never been to either HOU,DAL,ATL or for that matter Birmingham or Charlotte know the difference between any of them.The only difference is that Atlanta is more popular.You cant have the SEC/ACC and one of the top 3 NASCAR and be al things black.Do you people for get that Hip Hop started in NYC.And in those early days of Hip hop NYC was thought of as a "black and Latino" haven.With all its diversity,many people thought NYC was majority black.

All this talk as if Atlanta is only attracting black people more than others is silly,with no factual basis that exist to back up these notions.
Atlanta Metro News*| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/08/09/atlcensus.html - broken link)

NCR-2008
First Data
Newell-Rubbermaid
Kia
Just to name a few companies that decided to move to a "black mecca"

Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
[quote=travelbug76;12792579]Dallas is a great city. However I like Atlanta a bit better. I have lived in both cities. Yes dallas has a much better and much cleaner downtown. Actually the skyline in Dallas looks better also. I am almost pretty sure that Dallas downtown district is safer than Atlanta downtown district. Still in all I like Atlanta alot better. There is more culture there. Alot more to do. Better restaurants(my opinion). Better biking trails and outdoorsy stuff to do. I love the fact that I can purchase 3br 3ba townhome in Atlanta in a great neighborhood less than 200K. Atlanta has a much better collegetown feel to it. Nice parks. More pet friendly. quote]Not to mention Atlanta is the Nyc & L.A. of the south![/

I'm glad Dallas is just Dallas! Having a solid identity really does help rather than referring to yourself as the X city of the south or what not.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
North Park and lenox Phipps Plaza( if those 2 were put together as one mall)

Galleria and Perimeter mall

Highland Village and Streets of Buckhead ( whenever it opens )

MAll Of GA is Boring only there I like is Nordtroms and H&M thats it
ehh. i think i'd pair north park with phipps, and the galleria with lenox

and highland village is supremely higher end, not to mention is a historical landmark. i don't think there's an equivalent of it in atlanta

Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Besides BET what's other media networks advertise Atlanta as such??? Houston LA and Miami are known fo have big Latino populations... Stay off BET and you have to worry about it being pushed out and down your throats... Are. Write BET and tell them to stop putting all these tv sitcoms and talk shows and awards shows in Atlanta....
TBS shows, Tyler Perry, Real Housewives of Atlanta, Movies. I just wish Atlanta was portrayed as more of an international city rather than a city with a majority of one particular race. It's bad marketing.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
TBS shows, Tyler Perry, Real Housewives of Atlanta, Movies. I just wish Atlanta was portrayed as more of an international city rather than a city with a majority of one particular race. It's bad marketing.
I think it's just time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City