Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
3 Things:

1) The trees in Atlanta are pretty but there are so many it really takes away from the feeling of being in a major city, as does the number of winding two lane roads.

2) As for density. whether or not Atlanta or Dallas has more people per sq mile, Dallas is built up in a more dense manner. The intown neighborhoods in Atlanta are mostly comprised of single family homes with multi family mixed in. In the inner ring neighborhoods of Dallas you mostly see multi family developments with single family homes mixed in. You cannot compare uptown Dallas to Buckhead or Midtown Atlanta its rather a combination of the two in one densely developed walkable area that sits right up against downtown. Downtown Atlanta to Buckhead is 5-7 miles.

3) The skyline comparison is a little skewed because of the development patterns of each city.

Atlanta has a string of highrises that make up the Peachtree spine from Downtown to Buckhead and has two major suburban office centers at Vinings/Cumberland and Perimeter Center. Alpharetta consists of midrise office parks scattered throughout which you will commonly find in any major cities burbs.

Dallas has a downtown that is more developed with highrises. Probably the same amount of buildings you see in Downtown and Midtown Atlanta packed together in one area. There do seem to be a few more taller buildings in Atlanta though. Uptown Dallas has around the same amount of highrises as Buckhead. Las Colinas, Galleria, Telecom Corridor, Park Central (75/635), And a few other areas in the surrounding Dallas area have as many buildings as you'd see in Vinings/Cumberland and Perimeter Center in each of the developments. And that doesnt even include downtown Fort Worth. The metroplex as a whole, has a lot more areas with highrise/midrise development.
Really? From what I can tell, Buckhead appears to be almost twice as built up as Uptown Dallas.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:02 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
3 Things:

1) The trees in Atlanta are pretty but there are so many it really takes away from the feeling of being in a major city, as does the number of winding two lane roads.

2) As for density. whether or not Atlanta or Dallas has more people per sq mile, Dallas is built up in a more dense manner. The intown neighborhoods in Atlanta are mostly comprised of single family homes with multi family mixed in. In the inner ring neighborhoods of Dallas you mostly see multi family developments with single family homes mixed in. You cannot compare uptown Dallas to Buckhead or Midtown Atlanta its rather a combination of the two in one densely developed walkable area that sits right up against downtown. Downtown Atlanta to Buckhead is 5-7 miles.

3) The skyline comparison is a little skewed because of the development patterns of each city.

Atlanta has a string of highrises that make up the Peachtree spine from Downtown to Buckhead and has two major suburban office centers at Vinings/Cumberland and Perimeter Center. Alpharetta consists of midrise office parks scattered throughout which you will commonly find in any major cities burbs.
Actually, you are wrong. Atlanta city, Georgia - DP-4. Profile of Selected Housing Characteristics:**2000

In 2000, the City of Atlanta had 186,998 housing units in the city. 79,803 of those were single family homes, a large number for sure. But if you do a little math, then you find that 107,195 housing units are multi-family. The largest amount, 39,519, housing 20 or more people. Atlanta does have a ton of highrises for sure, but we also a lot more midrise apartment buildings than most people would know....especially those who know nothing about the city

Here's an example of the most common type of apartment building/condo in the city of Atlanta:

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
City proper Atlanta is smaller, but all three metros are about the same. So really Atlanta isn't smaller.

When it comes to highrises, Houston is way more built up than both Dallas and Atlanta.
You could say that Houston and Atlanta's metros are close in size. But (for better or worse) there are 1 million more people in DFW than Metro Atlanta. I dont think that is "about the same".

Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Hey, I read rumors that Frisco is going to get another mall along Preston Road. Is this true?

Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
I know it's out of date, but here are Census Maps for density in the two cities.

the Legends are diff for each map.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I know it's out of date, but here are Census Maps for density in the two cities.

the Legends are diff for each map.

It would assume it's out of date, but it gives a relative good idea (at least for Atlanta, not sure about Dallas) of where the cities population is concentrated. Most people live in the center city, while the Northwest and and extreme Southwest sides of the city are lower density. Those were the same areas that were tacked on in 1952.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
3 Things:

Dallas has a downtown that is more developed with highrises. Probably the same amount of buildings you see in Downtown and Midtown Atlanta packed together in one area. There do seem to be a few more taller buildings in Atlanta though. Uptown Dallas has around the same amount of highrises as Buckhead. Las Colinas, Galleria, Telecom Corridor, Park Central (75/635), And a few other areas in the surrounding Dallas area have as many buildings as you'd see in Vinings/Cumberland and Perimeter Center in each of the developments. And that doesnt even include downtown Fort Worth. The metroplex as a whole, has a lot more areas with highrise/midrise development.
Exactly, that's the only thing I don't like about ATL, and MOST piedmont cities. But that's about it.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly, that's the only thing I don't like about ATL, and MOST piedmont cities. But that's about it.
To each his/her own. When I walk down the streets of most neighborhoods of Atlanta, I feel like I'm walking through a park that has houses, condos, and highrises in it. It may seem anti-city, but it isn't and at the same time adds a sense of calm you can't find any where else on the planet. It is almost a modern day Babylon (in relation to its hanging gardens).

I have lived in cities with extreme densities like Mumbai, Manila and Tokyo. I know how much stock people on CD put into population density and concrete jungles, but when you are in a place that has so many people living in one area like those cities do, it sucks beyond belief.

Americans have no concept of how it is to be in a place like those cities. Even though Manhattan is easily to most dense area in the entire country, it is not even half as dense as those cities are. Just multiply everyone who live in Manhattan by two or three and just think about for a moment. All of the subways, taxis, and cute little bistros in the world wouldn't make up for the hassle of living in such a place.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's how I feel. I can walk down the street for blocks in any direction without leaving the shade of a tree and the city is still denser than average. You don't necessarily have to have space to have green.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
To each his/her own. When I walk down the streets of most neighborhoods of Atlanta, I feel like I'm walking through a park that has houses, condos, and highrises in it. It may seem anti-city, but it isn't and at the same time adds a sense of calm you can't find any where else on the planet. It is almost a modern day Babylon (in relation to its hanging gardens).

I have lived in cities with extreme densities like Mumbai, Manila and Tokyo. I know how much stock people on CD put into population density and concrete jungles, but when you are in a place that has so many people living in one area like those cities do, it sucks beyond belief.

Americans have no concept of how it is to be in a place like those cities. Even though Manhattan is easily to most dense area in the entire country, it is not even half as dense as those cities are. Just multiply everyone who live in Manhattan by two or three and just think about for a moment. All of the subways, taxis, and cute little bistros in the world wouldn't make up for the hassle of living in such a place.
I see what you mean, but I don't want THAT type of density either. I mean cities like LA, and Miami, have HIGH density, and STILL keep a MODERATE plant life, like palm trees, and various parks and gardens. You can see how dense these cities are, WITHOUT jepordizing how ATTRACTIVE there plant life is. You can still see all the tall palm trees and, hundreds of other plants in those 2 cities, and still feel like you're in an urban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City