Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Nobody else matters.
To be honest, I dont think Dallas wants Atlanta's history. Dallas' history isnt perfect, but Atlanta has one of the most bloody and racially charged histories in the country (sas Bomingham and Mississippi). Sadly its been overtly racially charged relatively recently too. The Atlanta Child Murders were an example of that.

Let me clarify that I dont think that Atlanta is a racist city in the here in now. There is definately still some racial tension there, but Atlanta has made great strides even in the last 30 years.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
LOL at you guys! I don't care how you guys try to say how much I hate Atlanta, and how much I hate to see it do good. Y'all don't know! People need to see that there are other areas that are better than Atlanta or on Atlanta's scale. DFW and Houston are on Atlanta's scale and/or better. I feel like these metros get underrated due to Atlanta's overration. It's kind of crazy that some Americans had to see what Atlanta really is during the recession: a city with an instable economy!
Plenty of people are aware of Houston and Dallas; if so, their metro areas wouldn't be the sizes they are now. You are confusing your sheltered reality with the real reality. By you being in Alabama, Atlanta is the closest big city so that's why you'll hear more about it. If you lived in Arkansas or Louisiana, you'd hear more about the Texas metros. It's all relative. You'll realize all of this when you literally grow up.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
Actually people if you do some research, you will find that Americas best stable economies are in smaller major cities... Do plenty of research and you will find that towns such as El Paso Tx, Augusta GA, Columbia SC, San Antonio Tx, and plenty other cities that dont receive the recognition that we get are coming on up. You never know what these cities might become one day.... I read an article and I have to find the link, but anyways San Antonio, El Paso, and Houston are looking good during the unstable economy... And I was surprised to see Augusta GA on that list... If you look on these cities pages on this website they are steady building up...
All of that is relative concerning the smaller cities you listed (El Paso, Augusta, Columbia). For their size, they are doing well in this economy largely because they miss a lot of the prosperity when times are good too; they are "no boom or bust" cities. But they still cannot compete with larger cities that offer more and higher-paying jobs, which is why their metros all have less than a million people. I seriously doubt anyone is looking at lists like those (which seem to come out every other week via Forbes or some other medium) and are making the move from Atlanta to Augusta or Fort Worth to El Paso or Charlotte to Columbia just based on these lists.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:06 AM

631 posts, read 1,228,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I hope its not too late to get back on topic. After visiting both areas a lot I would have to choose Dallas.

Both are new cities and are growing. However, Dallas seems cleaner and more organized in its growth. (That's just my opinion from what I've seen).

What really turned me off to Atlanta was my last trip on Marta from the airport to buckhead. I know that atlanta has been labeled as the black mecca because of a large middle class but I've never seen so many guetto loud and ignorant black folks in my life as I saw the last time in atlanta. We won't even discuss downtown around 5 points and the underground. It was embarassing and sickening. (I am black btw). I thought to myself it has to be better than this.

Dallas on the otherhand seem more upbeat and or upwardly mobil for everyone.

Every city has Lots of ghetto blacks, even in Dallas .The underground is a bit Ghetto But there are areas like that in every city.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 AM

631 posts, read 1,228,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Don't forget about West Palm Beach, ABOVE Broward county. I'm originally from West Palm, so I know the area also. The only people that say there from Miami, are people who live in Miami-Dade County.

Exactly and I think thats the point that there trying to make about Dallas and Fort Worth. Fort Worth is a lil too Big to be considered a suburb. Fort WOrth just helps Dallas out just like West palm and Fort laurderdale do Miami.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Exactly and I think thats the point that there trying to make about Dallas and Fort Worth. Fort Worth is a lil too Big to be considered a suburb. Fort WOrth just helps Dallas out just like West palm and Fort laurderdale do Miami.
What's the point though??

Dallas is still in a more populated area. Dallas and Fort Worth could have two separate metros, but in the end Dallas will still have a more populated area than Atlanta. This is the point right here and nothing you're saying is going to change that.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Every city has Lots of ghetto blacks, even in Dallas .The underground is a bit Ghetto But there are areas like that in every city.
Not like Atlanta! Dallas is nowhere near as bad as there. When I lived in Atlanta and I would have people visit the city for work and I would show them around they would always make comments about Marta and trashy people everywhere and I would be like" oh thats every city". And every city has its share of social issues. I just didnt realize how bad it was in Atlanta until I moved to Dallas. It's so much cleaner and the city is so much more progressive with its homeless programs. As for the "ghetto" people thats a sensitive subject for most because they are people too and have every right to ride public tranist or go to a mall but Atlanta does seem to have a lot more impoverished citizens hanging around at malls, cruising the streets, kicking in windows at high end boutiques and stealing all the clothes to sell at beauty shops for $25. Stuff you dont see so rampant in Dallas.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
To be honest, I dont think Dallas wants Atlanta's history. Dallas' history isnt perfect, but Atlanta has one of the most bloody and racially charged histories in the country (sas Bomingham and Mississippi). Sadly its been overtly racially charged relatively recently too. The Atlanta Child Murders were an example of that.

Let me clarify that I dont think that Atlanta is a racist city in the here in now. There is definately still some racial tension there, but Atlanta has made great strides even in the last 30 years.
Atlanta's history is racially charged, but no where near as bloody as other cities in the south. In fact, there are only three (though this is nothing to be proud of) major bloody incidents in our history:

1906 Race Riot
The lynching of Leo Frank in 1915
The bombing of the The Temple Synagogue in 1958

The last was the straw that broke the back of segregation in Atlanta. Even though Atlanta had its fair share of racists and took part in de jure segregation, the reason why the Civil Rights Movement was centered here was because the community at large cared more about making money than anything else. Educated African-Americans could start businesses and organize here without the fear of being dragged out in the middle of the night and being lynched.

After the Synagogue bombing, which happened because it's Rabbi was early supporter and close friend of MLK, the city started making serious plans to desegregate. With in 5 years, the city was officially desegregated...several years before the Civil Rights Act demanded it. There were no riots, or further bombings and anything nasty like that. The only notable thing was that idiot Lester Maddox, and all he did was just make threats. When MLK was assassinated, the whole city turned out for the funeral. This is much different from what happened in the country in the turbulent 60s and the reason why Atlanta became the major city it is today. We just didn't have time for that mess.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:10 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I hope its not too late to get back on topic. After visiting both areas a lot I would have to choose Dallas.

Both are new cities and are growing. However, Dallas seems cleaner and more organized in its growth. (That's just my opinion from what I've seen).

What really turned me off to Atlanta was my last trip on Marta from the airport to buckhead. I know that atlanta has been labeled as the black mecca because of a large middle class but I've never seen so many guetto loud and ignorant black folks in my life as I saw the last time in atlanta. We won't even discuss downtown around 5 points and the underground. It was embarassing and sickening. (I am black btw). I thought to myself it has to be better than this.

Dallas on the otherhand seem more upbeat and or upwardly mobil for everyone.
Oh please

What's embarrassing is the perception by some that when black teenagers are loud and rowdy, that is some how different from every other teenager being loud in rowdy. That's what kids do. I bet these videos from some kids on a MARTA train would get classified in your book as "ghetto":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYzs-PAtti4
(warning, some bad language in this)

Old 12-20-2009, 11:12 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Not like Atlanta! Dallas is nowhere near as bad as there. When I lived in Atlanta and I would have people visit the city for work and I would show them around they would always make comments about Marta and trashy people everywhere and I would be like" oh thats every city". And every city has its share of social issues. I just didnt realize how bad it was in Atlanta until I moved to Dallas. It's so much cleaner and the city is so much more progressive with its homeless programs. As for the "ghetto" people thats a sensitive subject for most because they are people too and have every right to ride public tranist or go to a mall but Atlanta does seem to have a lot more impoverished citizens hanging around at malls, cruising the streets, kicking in windows at high end boutiques and stealing all the clothes to sell at beauty shops for $25. Stuff you dont see so rampant in Dallas.
Metro Atlanta also has more middle and upper class Blacks than Dallas, and Dallas is not any cleaner than Atlanta your not the only person that have been to both. Do you want me to list Dallas bad neighborhoods? I have a cousin that waitness a homicide in Dallas now she scared of going back so don't even try it.

Quote:
Dallas is still in a more populated area. Dallas and Fort Worth could have two separate metros, but in the end Dallas will still have a more populated area than Atlanta. This is the point right here and nothing you're saying is going to change that
We been though this already and someone even came with a US census link. Dallas with out FT worth, a Metro Dallas would be a million people less than Metro Atlanta. Only Dallas and FT Worth together in a metroplex is larger Than metro Atlanta, with out FT Worth NO.

Quote:
Dallas-Plano-Irving Metropolitan Division is estimated at 4,226,003
Fort Worth-Arlington Metropolitan Division is estimated at 2,074,003

Atlanta is estimated at 5,376,285

Census Estimates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City