Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times

Advertisements

We can't forget "The Sopranos".
The whole series was set in New Jersey and it was the most financially successful cable series in the history of television. (It's also won 21 Emmys and 5 golden globes). And James Gandolfini who played the main roll in the series was a Jersey man himself.

I'm sure the significance in that alone brought a lot of attention towards New Jersey.

I for one am I fan of the series, and watching it shows a lot of New Jersey's culture (subsiding NJ's mafia scene) It shows a lot of Newark's underrated history (since Gandolfinin's character was born there) which is often overlooked. They also use a lot of authentic settings to exude NJ's rich culture..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5FGpwHd5A

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-30-2009 at 11:09 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I think the boroughs have a stronger mafia presence through history than NJ has. I lived in Middle village in Queens as a kid. I heard from someone that in the local bakery, the mob used to hang around in the back with machine guns ready in case anyone came in to cause trouble. They kept our neighborhood safe.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
This went down in my neighborhood, except there weren't ever any shootings:

BEST movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EIFU0ksOBg

And then there's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf16Vc3iZjE

Don't forget, all the famous mob movies come from the boroughs

Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I think the boroughs have a stronger mafia presence through history than NJ has. I lived in Middle village in Queens as a kid. I heard from someone that in the local bakery, the mob used to hang around in the back with machine guns ready in case anyone came in to cause trouble. They kept our neighborhood safe.
Well I wasn't really heading for a mafia comparison, I was using The Sopranos as an example of a tremendous success that was set in New Jersey and how it often showed New Jersey's culture.

But I can tell you that New Jersey had a strong Mafia presence in a lot of Newark and Elizabeth back in the day as well (Brooklyn and Queens probably had more in numbers, but despite Newark/Elizabeth size, the presence was similar). With all the ports and industry in that immediate area, it was prime for even NY mobs. I'm sure as a Long Island resident, you are well aware that the mafia spread from NYC to LI/NNJ very drastically.

My Grandparents on my fathers side grew up in Newark when the city had a very strong Italian population and they frequently talk about Newark/Elizabeth's crime family.
DeCavalcante crime family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
This is true. Italians came through the Ellis Island. That is why NYC has a stronger presense of Italians than NJ has.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
^^^As a New Yorker I SMH.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
This is true. Italians came through the Ellis Island. That is why NYC has a stronger presense of Italians than NJ has.
It's true that the population of Italians is higher in New York, But New Jersey has a higher percentage making the state have a stronger overall presence.

New Jersey= 18% Italian
New York= 14% Italian

Italian American Population in All 50 States

You do know that people went west of the hudson from Ellis Island as well? It wasn't as common, but this is how cities like Newark, Jersey City, and Paterson grew. (All three of these cities were almost if not twice the size they are today during those times of Ellis Island immigration)
Newark had the 5th largest Italian community outside of Italy at one time.

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-31-2009 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm not sure if that's the truth, but New Jersey created movies.

New Jersey is where the world's first film production studio was created where the first recorded film was ever made. This later moved on to Fort Lee where it became the motion picture capital of America BEFORE ever reaching out into Hollywood.
Even today, New Jersey manages to be a popular filming location; NJ even films a handful of movies that take place in other locations because of it's superior filming studios. NJ Motion Picture & TV Commission
(This is probably one of the many reasons why NJ based "The Sopranos" had the biggest success in all of TV history)

And New Jersey doesn't have artist of every genre?
Just to name some of NJ's finest

-Newark born Whitney Houston- is noted as one of the best singers of all time with her single "I Will Always Love You" becoming one of the best selling singles of all time. ("Houston is one of the world's best-selling music artists, having sold over 170 million records, worldwide. She is ranked as the fourth best-selling female artist in the United States")
-Newark born Queen Latifah- "is one of two hip-hop artists to receive an Academy Award nomination in an acting category"
-Sayervilleborn Jon Bon Jovi- His album New Jersey spent four consecutive weeks at #1 on Billboad 200
-Long Branch born Bruce Springsteen- With his album "Born In The USA" he sold 15 million copies in the U.S. and became one of the best-selling albums of all time, with seven singles hitting the Top 10.
-Englewood's Sugar Hill Gang - First hip hop group to make it on the top 40
-Hoboken born Frank Sinatra- self explanatory
I do not like arguing with you, because you are my friend. However I want to say my point of view. I like NJ is a great state. However for the purpose of this thread. I have to say NJ cannot be compared in any way to NYC.

You stated New Jersey is where the world's first film production studio was created where the first recorded film was ever made. This later moved on to Fort Lee where it became the motion picture capital of America BEFORE ever reaching out into Hollywood. This is incorrect because:

Quote:
In 1894, the world’s first commercial motion picture exhibition was given in New York City, using Thomas Edison’s Kinetoscope.

In the earliest days of the American film industry, New York was the epicenter of film-making. However, the better year-round weather of Hollywood made it a better choice for shooting.
Hollywood – The World Cinema | Majestic51 Men's Mag - News, Babes, Articles, Movies, Games and tons of Chat! (http://majestic51.com/hollywood-the-world-cinema/ - broken link)

Also why do you think that Frank Sinatra made the song of New York, New York? Because NYC in fact is a great city and nothing can be compared to NYC.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I do not like arguing with you, because you are my friend. However I want to say my point of view. I like NJ is a great state. However for the purpose of this thread. I have to say NJ cannot be compared in any way to NYC.

You stated New Jersey is where the world's first film production studio was created where the first recorded film was ever made. This later moved on to Fort Lee where it became the motion picture capital of America BEFORE ever reaching out into Hollywood. This is incorrect because:

Hollywood – The World Cinema | Majestic51 Men's Mag - News, Babes, Articles, Movies, Games and tons of Chat! (http://majestic51.com/hollywood-the-world-cinema/ - broken link)

Also why do you think that Frank Sinatra made the song of New York, New York? Because NYC in fact is a great city and nothing can be compared to NYC.

It's all just a civil argument

I'm pretty knowledgeable of where and when filming was fist started. The link you posted doesn't mention anything relating Hollywood or NYC as being "the birthplace of the motion picture industry" like it says in this link about Fort Lee, NJ...
Fort Lee Film Commission**|**Fort Lee, NJ (read the title)
Also, refer to "America's First Motion Picture Industry" Fort Lee, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So no, I'm not incorrect.

Frank Sinatra didn't write the song "New York". He was just the perfect guy to sing the song. (It wasn't a NYer to be pround of, but a NJian)
Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen are big NJ supporters. They didn't need to sing about New York to become some of the most successful rock and roll artist, they sang more about NJ. (Hence why Bon Jovi's Album "New Jersey" spent so much time as the #1 spot on the Billboard 100)
So it's a two way road.

And have you heard Queen Latifah's single "Jersey"?
Look at her now, she became the one of the most successful female MC's.

NYC is great, but it's not the greatest from everyones standpoint.

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-31-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Look, other than hip hop, which is just as much a world wide culture as rock which started in NJ supposedly when it was first played in Gloucester what have you guys contributed? In creativity you are about equal. While I'm in North Jersey I get some of your radio stations, and they are deplorable. It's the same crap over and over and over. I here the same songs within a 20 minute drive. NJ is existent on a pop culture level. The Jonas Brothers (as much as I hate them) are from NJ, as well as MANY, MANY others. You just don't like being bested by the state that is un-rightfully the butt of many jokes, mainly coming from your area.

Also, what about Walt Whitman? He changed poetry forever.
-You guys are going on Wikipedia looking for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to pull up. New jersey CREATED ROCK? Come on.

-New york stations being deplorable is beside the fact. Get your own radio stations and you wouldnt need to complain

-Film/hollywood is an industry that started in new york and went to cali. New jersey is not associated with the birthplace of film anything else is just reaching

And to expect- Favre could have outshined the world series. Basballs popularity in no way effects the yankees reach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City